[WIP] vennythekid's Powered Cube

Any updates on this?

Hey Steve, welcome to the forums!

To be honest with you I haven't done much work with this project in a long while, since final exams snowballed into starting an internship in a new city and generally being all-over the place. I'm glad you found it and enjoyed it though (and reminded me about it :p)! Once school starts again for me (mid-August) I'll be back with my Cube group and might do some testing on an initial list.

To create some dialogue in the meantime, I'm definitely not iffy on double Moxen/Lotus. The idea for this project came up after another cliched conversation about why storm is so bad in limited, and the my proposed solution to "The Storm Problem" was to build fast mana into the environment to where it didn't feel poisonous to the rest of the Cube. If anything, I'm not sure big, bomby cards are what this cube wants. Low CMC, high velocity, spell-based play is honestly what this cube wants, but I've stalled out when it comes to fleshing out the archtypes.

***floating ideas***

I think this project might be interesting as a 4-man "mini" cube with only 180 cards. I think this solves some issues I've run into, mainly that once you hit the "auto-include" nutty cards what comes next? There are only so many low-cmc interactive power-max-maxx cards that can hang with the big boys, and at 180 cards you are struggling less to "fill" slots and focusing more on quality.

I can cut a color. Let's be honest, outside of a few, color-pie breaking cards and Fastbond, Green offers very little to a spells-based low-CMC cube. I've struggled to find cool stuff for green to do that's not the same-old ramp>fatties. I don't have a problem with ramp>fatties, except that it's not a "new shiny" unique playstyle to this cube (like storm and others might be). White has good aggro and control elements, Red storm, YP, and Lightning Bolt, Black combo peices, tutors, and Blue is Blue. So I think Green might get the axe.

Get people to play this mess/play appeal. Sometimes you only get 4 people to cube, and it's awkward to have a Cube night with no cube. My group might be hesitant to try a whacky design as an 8-man, but as a "fallback" 4 player game it could see a lot more play. This is more a personalized/my own group issue, but maybe it helps others too.

***end ideas***

Anyways, thanks again for reading this mess and welcome again to the forums! I'll for sure keep this post updated as I intermittently work on this thing.