General Forum Upgrades

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I need help testing on Safari! I don't have any Apple products. If you have Safari, can you please check this page out and let me know if anything doesn't work. On mobile too! Just hover over the card names as usual and check:
1. All the card images load except for Not The Boss
2. Not The Boss should come through as a card-back. I intentionally spelled the card wrong.
3. None of the cards go off the screen. (This in particular is where I expect cross-browser issues, I've had trouble with Firefox already.)

Edit: Also, do let me know if you use some weird browser that I should know about. I'm happy to test on whatever people are using.

I need help testing on Safari! I don't have any Apple products. If you have Safari, can you please check this page out and let me know if anything doesn't work.
Safari on Laptop user here! I tested the images, and have to say:
This works correctly! There is very little lag as well, the overall process is very smooth.
2. Not The Boss should come through as a card-back. I intentionally spelled the card wrong.
The card back loaded after about a second the first time I loaded the page. Each subsequent time it was virtually instant.
3. None of the cards go off the screen. (This in particular is where I expect cross-browser issues, I've had trouble with Firefox already.)
All of the cards stayed within the Safari window I had open.

On mobile too!
I tested everything on my new iPhone as well, and everything appeared to work rougly the same as on the desktop version of the browser. It actually works better than the old version of the online card system!

What browser are you trying to view them on @Zoss ? I just tried with my android and on Ecosia (Chromium) they loaded as expected

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Android reporting (beep, boop.); I'm not getting card images at the moment. Just the classic "broken image" sprite.
Just to clarify - you're not getting the card-back image? Just standard broken images? Is that also true for the Not The Boss card? (which should come through as a card-back)

Edit: I've modified the test page so that if the images break, it'll dump a little message on the screen. If anyone catches that, please paste results here.

Last edited:
It's working now on the default android app! Idk if it was just a coincidence as my phone switched from wifi to mobile data or something; the image I was getting was this one:

1626388991274.png

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I need help testing on Safari! I don't have any Apple products. If you have Safari, can you please check this page out and let me know if anything doesn't work. On mobile too! Just hover over the card names as usual and check:

Edit: Also, do let me know if you use some weird browser that I should know about. I'm happy to test on whatever people are using.
Works for me (iOS on iPad Pro! Can you link to specific versions of a card? Say I wanted to highlight the superior art for Terminate on the Planeshift version? I'm also interested whether the More information link would open the correct version in that case :)

I'ld also be interested to see if it skips the special versions if those are the most recent ones. So, for example, I believe Mind Twist shows the unreadable invocation version on our current CI card image link?

Edit: indeed it does.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Works for me (iOS on iPad Pro! Can you link to specific versions of a card? Say I wanted to highlight the superior art for Terminate on the Planeshift version? I'm also interested whether the More information link would open the correct version in that case :)

I'ld also be interested to see if it skips the special versions if those are the most recent ones. So, for example, I believe Mind Twist shows the unreadable invocation version on our current CI card image link?

Edit: indeed it does.
Excellent point, specific versions is high on my list to add, but I forgot about it. On this point, do people have thoughts on how to do this? I was thinking something like:
Code:
[c set="4ed"]mind twist[/c]
Can anybody think of cases where this is not specific enough?

I've added Mind Twist and Opposition to the test page, looks like their default images are reasonable ones, hurrah.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Excellent point, specific versions is high on my list to add, but I forgot about it. On this point, do people have thoughts on how to do this? I was thinking something like:
Code:
[c set="4ed"]mind twist[/c]
Can anybody think of cases where this is not specific enough?

I've added Mind Twist and Opposition to the test page, looks like their default images are reasonable ones, hurrah.
Well, we have multiple versions per set nowadays, I have no idea how to keep those apart with only the set code. For example:

https://scryfall.com/card/afr/89/baleful-beholder
https://scryfall.com/card/afr/311/baleful-beholder

These are both from AFR, but they look very different :) So maybe allow set and collectore's number, and pick the lowest collector's number if only the set is specified?

Can I get another test on Safari? I wasn't doing positioning correctly when scrolling was involved, so please try things when the page is scrolled. Here's the link again: https://jamofalltrades.com/test-tags/

Edit: Even better, try these:

On Safari (iPad Pro on iOS):
1) the card image sometimes opens outside of the viewport, that is, partly off screen.
2) the card image opens behind the reply editor at the bottom of the page. Looks like something's wrong with the z-index.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Great, it's up! Many thanks for all the help with testing. Please post if you notice any bugs (though there's a couple I already know about, please read on...)

RiptideLab Thing 1.0
The main change: Card-hover tags (like this) now get card images from Scryfall.
I've written a new library from scratch. I took lots of inspiration from the Deckbox code, which is actually really nice. There are some things I have done totally differently, and some things I've copied wholesale.
I've dropped support for Internet Explorer, but come to think of it, I've used a lot of modern browser features too. So I have also dropped support for older versions of real browsers - if you are not seeing card-hovers any more, please post! I will add some backwards compatibility transpiling.

Known Issues
1. Partial card-names no longer work. I'll see if I can fix this, but if it's a lot of complication I'd rather just stop supporting this. It does break older posts though.
2. Card sometimes doesn't position within the screen correctly. I will get this fixed. Tough to debug because I rarely see it happen. If it consistantly happens to you, please post!
3. Mobile scrolling is worse - if you touch and scroll on a tagged card, it doesn't scroll

Caching
I've made an effort to really reduce calls to Scryfall. Here's what you should know:
- If we do find the card on Scryfall, the result is cached in your browser for four weeks.
- If we don't, the result is not cached permanently, but is saved in memory. That means it won't ping Scryfall every time you mouseover something like this, but as soon as you refresh or navigate, it will forget about that result and need to fetch it again next time you hover that tag.
My reasoning is this: If a card tag is not returning anything, there could be 3 reasons:
- The card is misspelled
- There was a computing error somewhere
- The card hasn't been added to Scryfall yet.
The last two cases are really compelling reasons not to cache these results.

Image size
The new tooltips are a little bigger than they used to be. I stare at screens to much and I like things to be big and readable these days. If this is causing issues on your device, post!

Coming soon...
- Card image tags ([ci]) (will be slightly involved so it'll probably take another week)
- Deck and cubedeck tags further in the future
- More movie reviews

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Does this affect both the c and the ci tags? What about the deck tag? Have you already added in the functionality to fetch specific sets and collector's numbers?

Edit: And before I forget, awesome work James!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
By the way, I see you included some fancy code to ignore numbers, so of course the software tester in me wants to try out

Guan Yu's 1,000-Li March
Borrowing 100,000 Arrows
+2 Mace
2003 World Championships Ad
Land Aid '04
1996 World Champion

Edit: So... a few of them don't work.

Guan Yu’s 1,000-Li March

@James Stevenson, you've got a problem with your apostrophes :) I believe it should accept both the ’ and the ', since it depends on your system which one you get and it's not easy to change.

Arborea Pegasus

Edit 2: I have no idea what the deal with +2 Mace is. It's not that AFR cards in general don't work.

Abzan Kin-Guard

Last edited:

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
By the way, I see you included some fancy code to ignore numbers, so of course the software tester in me wants to try out

Guan Yu's 1,000-Li March
Borrowing 100,000 Arrows
+2 Mace
2003 World Championships Ad
Land Aid '04
1996 World Champion
Aha! Cool! In fact, this was already a feature, not something I added. I think I will remove it. We have deck tags, or we can just put numbers outside c-tags.

Edit: looks like apostrophes break my code. I took pains to avoid this, but clearly didn't then test it...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Aha! Cool! In fact, this was already a feature, not something I added. I think I will remove it. We have deck tags, or we can just put numbers outside c-tags.

Edit: looks like apostrophes break my code. I took pains to avoid this, but clearly didn't then test it...
Sorry, I shouldn't edit a post while you're on top of things :) Anyway, you're right, it's the apostrophes. It only accepts the curly ones.

That said, +2 Mace is also broken, might have to do with that + sign.