General Games End. Memories Are Forever.

What are some cards that have a high potential to lead to a good memory or story?

For me,

has such an exciting ceiling and a reasonable floor. It's always fun to cast even if it isn't crazy. Notably, 5 Wolfir Silverheart pairing with the only flyer in play was a good one.

Less specific, but anything that can't be countered makes games vs blue control much more interesting. I've died to Exquisite Firecraft while holding a hard counter. That's one I'll always remember.

Honestly switching my Commander nights to Cosmic Encounter nights so I can play with people not familiar with Magic has led to much better memories but :er: this isn't the board game thread. So uh...

and combo-less

So looking over my list, I think cards that are basically win conditions or fuel win conditions but they're not instant win conditions (outside of something ultra specific or high cost like Hidetsugu's second rite and rise of the dark realms) make for the best memories. And blackmail, blackmail makes for great memories.

Last edited:

I havbe fond memories of my college roommate playing a {R}{B} deck in Theros standard, and holding off death for several turns with a defensively deployed stormbreath dragon (or possibly more than one, I can't recall), buying him enough time to draw into rakdos's return. A good chunk of the card shop gathered around to watch.

I am liking "explosive" cards more and more as finishers. Stuff like

The control deck once finished off 3 players by playing Slagstorm for damage during the doubling turn of Conjecture. I got to cast 4 spells off the top and sacrifice my board to kill with Citadel.

Also cards that give a choice (I play MP so more shenanigans are possible)

I still remember being at 12 and dying from the Gearhulk as the controller revealed a Greater Gargadon among the 3 cards. The fun part is that the story sticks and everyone always targets me with it now and I am scared to my bones!

Last game someone played

Trying my best to figure what to tap and when was quite a lot of fun. We did have a lot of laughs during the game and it never felt oppressive.

Last game someone played
-sands of time-
Trying my best to figure what to tap and when was quite a lot of fun. We did have a lot of laughs during the game and it never felt oppressive.
Looks like a blast as an emblem for both players or something. Even better with mana burn. Hard to justify spending a card on it, though. I've been interested in emblem formats, generally, so that's a cool card to see that I actually never had before.

Looks like a blast as an emblem for both players or something. Even better with mana burn. Hard to justify spending a card on it, though. I've been interested in emblem formats, generally, so that's a cool card to see that I actually never had before.
He had Mesmeric Orb and Labman in his deck, too.
Third game he pulled of some shenanigans with Old man of the sea and +1/+1 counters.
That were three very exciting games.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Wish this was more playable!
Hidetsugu's Dice 2RR
Instant
~ deals 4 damage to any target.
If ~ targets a player, and that player is at exactly 7 or 11 life, that player loses the game instead.
(This is not my idea, it's been on the internet forever. I think it originally had split second, your mileage my vary on weather that's necessary)

Genesis Wave
cast a huge Wave, dropping Rhox
This is the most ravnic thing I've ever read.
Slaver is such a blast! The fear/scramble it creates in the opponent and then the wacky decisions it leads to during the controlled turn!
Hidetsugu's Dice 2RR
Instant
~ deals 4 damage to any target.
If ~ targets a player, and that player is at exactly 7 or 11 life, that player loses the game instead.
(This is not my idea, it's been on the internet forever. I think it originally had split second, your mileage my vary on weather that's necessary)
Definitely a style of card worth a custom. A more playable Triskaidekaphobia could be cool, as well. Weird little instant losses add a lot of tension.

A lot of things can be memorable.
Cards that produces tense games: Dark Confidant, Demonic Pact, Angel of Grace, Triskadekaphobia.
Cards that produce miserable games: Jokulhaups, Smokestack, The Abyss.
Cards that have high variance: Also Dark Confidant, Bloodbraid Elf, Gyruda, Doom of Depths.
Cards that let you "go off": Bolas's Citadel, The Mirari Conjecture, High Tide.
Cards that steal games: Elder Deep-Fiend, Faith's Shield, Obosh, the Preypiercer, Embercleave. Ideally without jeopardizing the game, like Ugin.

unrelated but I can't remember any of my games of cosmic encounter.

What the fuck is this cube you're playing that has the cards you're bringing to this thread?
It is still in the works, a big pile of cards. I build it during lockdown last year and have been tinkering with it for almost a year. But yesterday was only the second time I had a chance to play it with my group. After a few more games I hopefully feel ready to post it.
By the way one guy almost played mono Chandra yesterday. Somehow he ended up with 4 different versions of her.