Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

this 100% sounds like something i would do, and it fits my own cube’s white theme of “making cards out of nowhere” (Learn Prof, Squad Hawk, Legion Angel).

give it a shot!

You can consider it less of a question about Survival and more about the merits of Arkbow. I remember it being an exciting card during spoiler season that ended up doing mostly nothing in constructed.

You can consider it less of a question about Survival and more about the merits of Arkbow. I remember it being an exciting card during spoiler season that ended up doing mostly nothing in constructed.

The idea and potential of Arkbow is cooler than the actual gameplay. Theoretically it gives you an uncounterable way to fish out creatures from your deck at instant speed. The reality is often that you whiff or hit less than desirable targets or its a dead card you draw late in the game. Or you have stuff you don't want to pitch for activation because you'd rather have a sure thing than spin the wheel. I guess it could work in certain environments, but it's more cute than actually good imo.

The idea and potential of Arkbow is cooler than the actual gameplay. Theoretically it gives you an uncounterable way to fish out creatures from your deck at instant speed. The reality is often that you whiff or hit less than desirable targets or its a dead card you draw late in the game. Or you have stuff you don't want to pitch for activation because you'd rather have a sure thing than spin the wheel. I guess it could work in certain environments, but it's more cute than actually good imo.

I'll echo this sentiment. Arkbow never worked out for me.

Arkbow just doesn't work as a card. It costs you a card and doesn't provide card advantage. It also costs more to use than to actually play the creature and you may not hit it so it ends up being as expensive as Arcane Encyclopedia.

I mean, it does technically provide card replacement, same as any of the other similar effects. The rate is just not good enough and there's whiff potential.

I feel like there's a lot of synergies that could make it fairly reasonable, but I guess the ugly part of the card is that it works really poorly with cheap creature, since you always want to pump a reasonable amount of mana into the X to ensure you don't miss.

The secret behind Arkbow is that you run it in a deck with a lot of topdeck manipulation stuff. You can't whiff if you know the card you want is right on top of your library!

(It still isn't fantastic.)

I mean, it does technically provide card replacement, same as any of the other similar effects. The rate is just not good enough and there's whiff potential.
What I mean is that you spend one card just to bring it to the table so it's card disadvantage.

I don't know, I just tried to play it in draft so many times and it never worked.

What I mean is that you spend one card just to bring it to the table so it's card disadvantage.

I don't know, I just tried to play it in draft so many times and it never worked.
That's not card disadvantage any more than almost any other Enchantment is. You spend one card to get one card on the ability, and you spend the standard amount (one card) to play it to the table. Something Like Glorious anthem isn't "card disadvantage" just because it doesn't actively replace itself on ETB/cast. It grants you a new ability. I agree, it's not very workable. Still not really CDA unless you whiff on the ability activation.

Last edited:
But Anthem has an effect as long as you control at least one creature. Arkbow is a zero without more mana and cards invested.
That doesn't change anything? It doesn't grant you anything with zero creatures. Again, the ability on Arkbow is usually card neutral. Both grant you a new ability that didn't exist for you before. An aura that fizzles because the target gets destroyed on cast is card disadvantage. Arkbow is not.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's card disadvantage either. I think what Erik means is that Arkbow doesn't impact the board at all when played. I tried it, and it wasn't half bad in my cube, but always slightly underwhelming. It's never a card you are overly happy to put into your deck. I mean, compare it to Birthing Pod. When you draft that card, you feel like you are jamming! Arkbow, meh.

You could build an entire format around Vivien’s Arkbow

I call it The Ark. Or Ark Cubing.

Each player begins with one on the battlefield. They never draw cards from their library. Each turn they take one Basic land from the Basic Land Box. Library is full of creatures.

What if you use it in a Cube that supports Madness as an archetype? Archbow should be a lot better there.
Since it requires a lot of mana to activate, you might often end up without enough mana to cast that madness spell. It's really just inefficient for what it offers.

Madness support, creature searching, properly efficient design, removable, pretty much everything needed is already solved with

fauna shaman is real nice y’all btw. it’s not gonna blow (almost) any cube’s power level out of the water but it’s a good effect to enable some goofier shenanigans that can still function just fine in pretty normal green decks too