General Custom Cards: The Lab

I need cool red cards and blue cards that aren't burn or counterspells. Preferably spells, but I'm open to creatures.

I need cool red cards and blue cards that aren't burn or counterspells. Preferably spells, but I'm open to creatures.

Blue and red has some cool learn spells. I like them because

- They give two cards for one and the second card is always a sorcery
- They are always fair even though the value is high because the value is slow and attached to a relative high (but payable) mana value
- They have the option to have a 'loot' attached instead of learning a sorcery which is useful sometimes for
----- Madness and Drake Haven
----- Graveyard mechanics like flashback
----- If your hand has too many lands or too few

Here are some examples of learn spells in blue and red

This has been a popular custom for my playgroup (and a rift off of You Find Some Prisoners without realizing.) We had one player exile an opponent's Kaldra Compleat then cast it to turn the game around. Will greatly depend on your artifact count, though.

039 Unbridled Curiosity.png

Blacksmithy's Hidden Trove (page 153) has played well and was a good replacement since Thrill of Possibilities wasn't cutting it.

Wings of Wisdom.png Rockslide Assault.png Seeker of Forbidden Arts.png Touch of Chaos.png
Yes, technically the last one is part burn spell >>

Oh, I think ? @blacksmithy ? had a comment they removed after realizing this is the customs thread, but it basically recommended more cantrips. I've definitely considered adding like ten cantrips just to fill the slots.

@Velrun, this actually reminded me of my "Trade" mechanic that was going to be a variant of Learn, so that may lead me somewhere. Thanks.

@kModz, I might as well make something like that. I'll probably go off your own deck, though, as I don't like mixing with my opponent's cards because they easily get shuffled into the wrong deck.

The other spells are pretty good. I should probably add a red token type to get some cards going, although white is quite saturated with tokens right now.

Oh, I think ? @blacksmithy ? had a comment they removed after realizing this is the customs thread, but it basically recommended more cantrips. I've definitely considered adding like ten cantrips just to fill the slots.

@Velrun, this actually reminded me of my "Trade" mechanic that was going to be a variant of Learn, so that may lead me somewhere. Thanks.

@kModz, I might as well make something like that. I'll probably go off your own deck, though, as I don't like mixing with my opponent's cards because they easily get shuffled into the wrong deck.

The other spells are pretty good. I should probably add a red token type to get some cards going, although white is quite saturated with tokens right now.
that sure sounds like something i would say

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I really love these designs. They're super clean and provide some interesting lines of play.
Metaengineer in any cube but mine should probably say "to a minimum of 1"
Benthid was sweet but I never had +1/+1 counters in blue for long.

I am a bit confused by this one, though. Does it only have retrace for the event it gets milled?
Yes. Flashback would end up with it exiled.
The intent here is to have a 1 card enabler for Baron style control decks.

The origional version shuffled any number of cards in, which proved to be too strong, so I've started limiting it.
It's a touch akward to have your anti-decking card on a draw spell, but I wanted something you wouldn't feel bad casting on T2

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Interesting. Very interesting.

And you would make it colorless, non-red?
Yeah, I think this could be a colorless effect. I know wishes have historically given access to a limited number of card types, but there is no reason imo why the unrestricted version should be red.

Islandwalk

All jokes aside, evasion isn't the whole problem here, and if I was reworking this card I'd give it both trample and hexproof/ward. Part of the dream is making this a 16/16 and beating an opponent to death with that, but evasion is only part of the battle; this can be a 100/100 with trample and haste reliably and still be a trap if it turns into an instant 11-for-1 if the opponent has Doom Blade. That coin flip isn't particularly fun, as it's just a removal check which reduces the game from chess into War. While the argument "Dies to Doom Blade" is flawed, it's not entirely without merit, as the downside of running this into removal is really steep.

Islandwalk

All jokes aside, evasion isn't the whole problem here, and if I was reworking this card I'd give it both trample and hexproof/ward. Part of the dream is making this a 16/16 and beating an opponent to death with that, but evasion is only part of the battle; this can be a 100/100 with trample and haste reliably and still be a trap if it turns into an instant 11-for-1 if the opponent has Doom Blade. That coin flip isn't particularly fun, as it's just a removal check which reduces the game from chess into War. While the argument "Dies to Doom Blade" is flawed, it's not entirely without merit, as the downside of running this into removal is really steep.
And hexproof/ward makes it together with trample a I win card…
If you can make it big, the opponent has likely not got any removal left. Give them one topdeck to find it!