Card/Deck [MCD] Let's talk about tricks, baby!

Traditionally, combat tricks have had a very hard time in cube. Removal tends to be very efficient and instant speed too, more often than not. Also, games don't always revolve around combat, when players cheat big fatties into play or cast Brainfreeze with a double digit storm count. Even if Giant Growth would give +9/+9, it would barely matter at that point. But as riptiders, we don't necessarily care about what's been true traditionally.

So I want to know: What is your stance of combat tricks? Which ones do you play?

What do I mean, when I talk about combat tricks? Well, basically anything, that makes my 2/2 survive blocking your 3/3 and also killing it. That also means I don't count bounce or removal spells, although they can change combat, except maybe Disfigure. That actually fulfills my definition of "2/2 now beats 3/3" and is therefore ticks both boxes for combat tricks I like:

It does something else than just being a combat trick CHECK
It does work even when you have no creatures on board CHECK

Those overlap but aren't the same. Here are the combat tricks I currently run that do something else than being a combat trick but require me to have a creature:

To some degree Shelter could also be counted, but it doesn't fit the tight definition I set up for the purpose of this thread.

Here are the combat tricks I run, that don't do anything else really, but somehow don't require you to have creatures in play:

Note that the blue ones don't let your 2/2 win against a 3/3 on offense, but they are very effective on defense. Theoretically, you could cast Briarhorn as a hill giant, so you could put it into the next category ...

Here are now my combat tricks that tick both boxes. These cards can do something else than being a combat trick and don't necessarily require a creature on your side to do something:

I've hoped that list would end up a little longer. Harm's Way is great, it can be your typical +2/+2, but it can ALSO safe an attacker and kill an X/2 creature OR it can be a defensive Sacred Fire. Raze the Effigy doubles as artifact removal, that you'll maindeck in aggressive decks.

I also have these two:

Those don't tick the two boxes for combat tricks, but can end up winning you the game somewhat easily.

As you might've noticed, I don't run a lot of combat tricks, according to my (questionable) definition, but I want to add more. Especially in white, where they would probably be at their best. I've considered some other that also have that secret mode of countering removal spells, like Ajani's Presence or the new Take up the Shield. But I can't help being underwhelmed by looking at those kinds of cards. Even those, that are good, still rarely work with synergistic archetypes.

So, what combat tricks do you run? Do you have any hidden gems? Please also tell me which mass pump spells you like!

I stan this card so hard it's not funny:

It's a combat trick. It's a kill spell. It's a combo piece. Love it love it love it so much.

While it doesn't turn a losing combat into a winning one, the rate is good enough to get there.

Look, the rate is kind of terrible. We all know that. However, it's absurdly flexible and does a pretty good Charging Monstrosaur impersonation while upping your combat trick density, so I'm down with it.

These will all save critters from removal spells and swing combat. Big ups to that.

It's definitely kind of a combat trick!

The only three I run right now. BD pulls double duty as a small pump/protection spell, BI can close out games out of nowhere, and Cleave just means that you win combat barring spot removal. It gets tougher to make inclusions the higher the power level, but I've been pretty please with how all of these have played.

Status is also cute in my list as it lets creatures that ping get deathtouch

Rimrock Knight has already been posted, but with the objectively wrong artwork. I will correct this:
rimrockknightp.jpg

Snakeskin veil also deserves the showcase treatment but I dont know where to get an appropriately sized image or how to link the showcase.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

These are the combat tricks I currently run. I know Agony Warp doubles as a straight up removal spell, but it can turn a combat step in your favor by shrinking your opponent's board, so I'm counting it :)

The only three I run right now. BD pulls double duty as a small pump/protection spell, BI can close out games out of nowhere, and Cleave just means that you win combat barring spot removal. It gets tougher to make inclusions the higher the power level, but I've been pretty please with how all of these have played.

The only tricks I run are Become Immense and Embercleave for the reasons you mentioned. Become Immense has been great for me at a variety of power levels.

I like this one:

It has two extremely important features: It's colorless and it's free. Being colorless means I don't feel bad about dedicating the slot to it. Combat tricks are narrow and somewhat underpowered, I can't justify giving them a lot of space. But since you don't have to pay for Mutagenic Growth, you can shove it in any deck that could use it.

Second, being free makes it competitive in a high-pressure environment where cheap removal is common. Lightning Bolt is everything Giant Growth strives to be and more. So I try to compensate by making it free. This also makes it a better card on the first two turns of the game or with spells aggro, both of which I support.

Its main problem is the rather small buff. However, creatures in my cube are very small, if you use Mutagenic Growth you are probably doubling a creature in size. An it's enough for Young Pyromancer or Dreadhorde Arcanist.

I tried More or Less but I realized I don't actually have any cool targets for it.

Harm's Way is the kind of design I love in Magic.
I opened it in my m10 prerelease pool and was like "Okay, seems decent enough, I guess I'll run it as a bit of filler" and then I got to play it. Wow. It keeps surprising you with just how many ways you can use it to eke out a bit of advantage, or cause a massive blowout, or just hold on in a key moment. It's got this amazing modality to it that I think highlights the best parts of playing tricks - that 'gotcha' moment, the feeling of being an absolute genius when you cast it, the little incidental advantages over the course of a game that add up to a win rather than the big haymakers. Yet it is so plain on the surface. Makes me miss core set limited, and that's a very strange statement to make :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Harm's Way is the kind of design I love in Magic.
I opened it in my m10 prerelease pool and was like "Okay, seems decent enough, I guess I'll run it as a bit of filler" and then I got to play it. Wow. It keeps surprising you with just how many ways you can use it to eke out a bit of advantage, or cause a massive blowout, or just hold on in a key moment. It's got this amazing modality to it that I think highlights the best parts of playing tricks - that 'gotcha' moment, the feeling of being an absolute genius when you cast it, the little incidental advantages over the course of a game that add up to a win rather than the big haymakers. Yet it is so plain on the surface. Makes me miss core set limited, and that's a very strange statement to make :p
I too remember blowing people out of the water with Harm's Way in limited. Good times :)

I kinda forgot that I also run Rimrock Knight. The objectively better looking version of course.

Big fan of this, have happily used it in all 3+ modes

I also forgot about reinforce, which is a great mechanic with mostly mediocre cards. I even cubed Burrenton Bombadier and Hunting Triad. Both seemed totally fine on paper but almost never made it into a starting forty.

However, I remembered another mechanic, that can turn creatures into combat tricks ...

I think I like the Viper most of all the bloodrush cards and decided to give it a try. I'm quite high on one mana deathtouchers anyway, and this one is a very strong aggressive combat trick too.

I have no idea how I forgot about Bloodrush! I run the Shaman and can attest to it's utility. Sweet in aggro, getting it back just once can prevent a mediocre draw step from costing you the game. Strangest play was swinging in with it, having it Disfigure'd before blockers, Kari Zev triggering the return in First Strike damage, then pitching at the Ragavan token for exact lethal - and while that will never happen again (And wouldn't have happened against a better player) it's definitely won it a permanent slot just for the memories.

It's no Squee or Undead Gladiator, but it's juuuust close enough to be the backup option for the decks that want those. Sometimes it even blocks. Not the best Brute Strength effect out there but its versatility makes up for it imo.

Edit: Also Disfigure! It's a removal spell to kill that damn 1-drop before it get out of hand the vast, vast majority of the time, but hey still counts.

Editedit: Alsoalso Apostle's Blessing. Not that its in my current list, but it'd be the first "Target gets protection from n" effect I'd add.

Editeditedit: Alsoalsoalso Darkblast. It is in my current list, and I have no idea why I have a complete inability to remember the combat tricks I run.

Last edited:
I still unapologetically run Stonecloaker and I probably will never take it out. Pet card, yes, but it really does a lot of silly things if you set it up a little and get a little lucky.. Whitemane Lion too but I do not run it over ol' Stoney.

Taking Stonecloaker out after being an (admittedly underdrafted) hero of my cube for its first 8 years of life was one of the most painful moments of my cardboard life. Even my newest players saw it coming, three mana is just a lot for the potential upside here. He's a lot of work.

But I mean, just LOOK at this guy -- is this dude not why we play Magic??