General Guess the Card

The card I am looking for has a song dedicated to it. It is a permanent capable of destroying permanents of it's own kind. For artworks, it has one with and one without goblins in it.

What is it?

alvoi has got it going on. I guess that was too easy :p
Well, not too easy, I was lucky because I started thinking about Remy's songs and not the other hints... for example, I didn't remember there was a promo art with goblins, so that clue could have moved me out of the right path if I had thought too much about it

This monster was one of the first cards I ever owned. It hit like a hammer, but I always get a little blue thinking about it because it was never as good as I thought it was. While I think it’s pretty iconic, it’s not actually an iconic creature. Although it wasn’t in one of the first packs I opened, it was a pretty good part of my intro to the game!

I’m gonna go with

Because it has been known to invoke quite some feelings at my local game store back when Theros was new. It doesn’t exactly hit like that hammer though.

This monster was one of the first cards I ever owned. It hit like a hammer, but I always get a little blue thinking about it because it was never as good as I thought it was. While I think it’s pretty iconic, it’s not actually an iconic creature. Although it wasn’t in one of the first packs I opened, it was a pretty good part of my intro to the game!
Monster -> has monstruous?
Hit like hammer -> power 3
Iconic but not “iconic creature”…

Hundred-Handed One?

This is it! The hints were:
>This monster was one of the first cards I ever owned.
>Although it wasn’t in one of the first packs I opened, it was a pretty good part of my intro to the game!

I started around Theros block. My first Intro Pack purchase was Mainpulative Monstrosities, which had Shipbreaker Kraken at the helm.
Theros-Intro-Pack-Blue.jpg

>It hit like a hammer
This was actually a mistake on my part! I thought Hammer of Purphoros was the other rare in the Manipulative Monstrosities deck, but it was actually Curse of the Swine! Since the deck was Blue/Red and I opened the hammer around the same time I bought this deck, I thought it was one of the included cards! I only realized it wasn't included when I searched up the name of the deck for this post! Apologies for the misdirection, it appears the Manipulative Monstrosities manipulated me.

>but I always get a little blue thinking about it because it was never as good as I thought it was.
Shipbreaker Kraken is a blue card and I thought it was good for an unreasonably long time because it's an on-rate big fatty with a good ability. It's a good retail limited card for sure, but I think I believed I could use it in Cube and have it be fine up until like 5 years ago. Way too long, if you ask me!

>While I think it’s pretty iconic, it’s not actually an iconic creature.
Every color has an "Iconic" creature type that represents that color's theme. White has Angels, Blue has Sphinxes, Black has Demons, Red has Dragons, and Green has Hydras. Krakens aren't Blue's iconic creature type, but I think they're a contender for the slot if Sphinxes were to disappear tomorrow.

Thanks for playing and gold star to Onder!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Whoop! Ok, next one. I'm positively fuming that this one hasn't got a proper modern border reprint yet. No, I should rectify, a proper modern nonfoil reprint. You'ld be forgiven for thinking the card is the namesake for an entire archetype, especially because it embodies the archetype so well, but in reality the archetype is named for the $$$$ the original deck that gave it its name cost.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Whoop! Ok, next one. I'm positively fuming that this one hasn't got a proper modern border reprint yet. No, I should rectify, a proper modern nonfoil reprint. You'ld be forgiven for thinking the card is the namesake for an entire archetype, especially because it embodies the archetype so well, but in reality the archetype is named for the $$$$ the original deck that gave it its name cost.

?

Edit: I don't know if the above is foil or not. I don't really know anything. My guesses are always wrong.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Land Tax?

Edit: I don't know if the above is foil or not. I don't really know anything. My guesses are always wrong.
You're par for the course, this guess is also wrong :p Land Tax has in fact been reprinted in a nonfoil modern border version, in Battlebond, Double Masters, and The List (as a Battlegrounds reprint). The card I'm looking for has been reprinted in the modern border, but there is no nonfoil version available for me to put in my nonfoil cube.

Oh well that's easy

Actually, the Secret Lair 30th anniversary promo version is nonfoil

dang I got sniped

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You'ld be forgiven for thinking the card is the namesake for an entire archetype, especially because it embodies the archetype so well, but in reality the archetype is named for the $$$$ the original deck that gave it its name cost.
I should probably explain this hint, for some. According to the internet, "Stax" is short for "The Four Thousand Dollar Solution" ($T4KS), since the deck originally cost about $4,000 to build. It it an archetype that was original created for the Vintage environment to combat a metagame based around doing degenerate things. Stax usually wins very, very slowly through copious amounts of disruption and resource denial.

So, Stax has nothing to do with Smokestack per se, even though Smokestack is super on brand for the archetype.