General [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica

Yeah I was also hoping for just one really good Jump-Start card. Or at least super interesting. We all have different power level cubes.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The limits placed on jump start (as opposed to flashback) make things really hard.
Take the 1rr shock with jump start everyone's been complaining about, vs firebolt. (r to cast, 4r to flashback)
directcurrent1.jpg

Edit: images for clarity

Firebolt is by their own admission a bit more powerful than they wanted standard to be, and both total 6, except jump start is locked into both sides being equal, which is way worse for curve concerns.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A lot of the cards I like require me to change my color wheel, in particular some of the Boros and Golgari cards, but I'm not sure I want to. RG dinosaurs, UR spells, and WB humans smokestack are the most interesting archetypes in my cube, I feel. In addition, I've once has three Grixis drafters right next to each other, because they have an unreasonable (though let's be reasonable, is it really in-?) for Cruel Ultimatumand Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Axing Grixis would probably not be well received. I could shift UR spells into WU probably, but RG dinosaurs doesn't work in another color combination, and neither does WB humans smokestack. So, If RG WB, and Grixis are "mandatory", that leaves us with either WBURG or... nothing. There's no other configuration that fits. Which means I have to sacrifice something I or my players hold dear if I want to run those juicy Boros and/or Golgari cards.

A lot of the cards I like require me to change my color wheel, in particular some of the Boros and Golgari cards, but I'm not sure I want to. RG dinosaurs, UR spells, and WB humans smokestack are the most interesting archetypes in my cube, I feel. In addition, I've once has three Grixis drafters right next to each other, because they have an unreasonable (though let's be reasonable, is it really in-?) for Cruel Ultimatumand Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Axing Grixis would probably not be well received. I could shift UR spells into WU probably, but RG dinosaurs doesn't work in another color combination, and neither does WB humans smokestack. So, If RG WB, and Grixis are "mandatory", that leaves us with either WBURG or... nothing. There's no other configuration that fits. Which means I have to sacrifice something I or my players hold dear if I want to run those juicy Boros and/or Golgari cards.

You could just build a Magic Crumble Pie 2.0 and do the other 5 Shards/Wedges you missed with the first one.

That could be cool, and would allow you to experiment with things you may not have tried yet.

Back when I was still new to cubing, I built a peasant cube to try out some things I didn't have space for in my original cube. It proved to be a good lesson in archetype design and color balance. I learned a lot that I was able to apply to my second (current) 360 cube. Obviously building a new cube is very time-consuming, especially as a test, but the results are well worth the effort.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You could just build a Magic Crumble Pie 2.0 and do the other 5 Shards/Wedges you missed with the first one.

That could be cool, and would allow you to experiment with things you may not have tried yet.

Back when I was still new to cubing, I built a peasant cube to try out some things I didn't have space for in my original cube. It proved to be a good lesson in archetype design and color balance. I learned a lot that I was able to apply to my second (current) 360 cube. Obviously building a new cube is very time-consuming, especially as a test, but the results are well worth the effort.
It's not as if the thought hasn't crossed my mind, but that "time-consuming" part is a real bottleneck. I've had an idea for a second cube for ages now,but I'm still not close to even a rough first draft.

youre overthinking it. throw the cards in the pile . the others one will be back. every set is like a ten card expansion now
Problem is I only support allied colors according of a shifted color wheel. There is zero support for Boros and Golgari cards in my cube, not even mana fixing, so there is no such thing as "simply" throwing them in unfortunately. Making room for these cards entails a serious redesign. Last time I switched around my color wheel, it took me half a year to get my cube online again.

So your 2nd cube should include all the other Guilds that you are not supporting in your 1st cube? That sounds very interesting if you ask me :)

“Hello everyone and welcome to the draft. Now before we begin I would like to roll this dice. On even we play 1st cube. On odd we play the 2nd.”

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Haha, no, my second cube (under heavy construction) is actually a cube where everyone gets an emblem with "Spells you cast cost {1} less to cast." A theoretical anti-cube to my current Magic Crumble Pie cube would be my third cube, and that's really a bit too much for me ;)

For the record, I'm not complaining. I highly enjoy my cube, and it definitely has a unique angle, but it does make for some wistful looks whenever a really cool card in an unsupported color combination comes along, like when Tatyova, Benthic Druid was printed in Dominaria. Every now and then I get to re-evaluate whether I'm still happy with my current color wheel!

I'm definitely going to add the following cards

en_90mPJ1NDXH.png
en_DUXCS5jbkb.png
en_ylkzMLYbqx.png
en_aBicu0W3rK.png
en_rbe9YdGC23.png
en_wzNyvZffyf.png
en_xNSBDqrc5Z.png

That's it for now. Might not seen like a lot for some, but my usual rate is to add 1 or 2 cards from a new set, since I'm careful with changes and I like to keep as much old school stuff in my cube as possible.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ok, I picked out more than 30 cards that fit my current color wheel that pique my interest, including auto-swaps like Sinister Sabotage over Dissolve. Some that haven't been mentioned though.

en_HZScwisLMh.png

I think this is really solid in an aggressive deck, especially if you can put counters on it or equip it with a Bonesplitter.

en_yzNVF5Lxiv.png

This looks like a sweet turn 3 play in a format without turn 4 wraths. I do run Ridgescale Tusker as well, which makes for a weird comparison considering that one is a rare and the other is an uncommon...

en_fFX7ZGrSKJ.png

Yes, I'm considering this, though I don't know if I'll be able to find room for it, additional discard outlets are always welcome.

en_ARTAVGJATe.png

Hey, another discard option! This poses a nice conundrum for your opponent: do I use the expensive removal spell now or risk losing it. Expertly carries a Bonesplitter as well.

en_aBicu0W3rK.png

Great replacement for Go for the Throat I think.

en_wzNyvZffyf.png

No one interested in a nice utility goblin? Deals with artifacts nicely. It's been nice getting these 2/2's with upside for {1}{R}.

en_dSpTeDqBxO.png

Red is super deep, and I don't really know what to pick as my second red pick here, but is a pretty sweet one drop.
en_98AjTXilKa.png

No love for this one? I currently run Vizier of the Menagerie, tough choice.

en_zV9MaPyb5c.png

This is quite sexy in the spells matter deck as a double removal spell!

en_qohZazazBN.png

Aggro beats loves this! Legendary too, which is cool because I've got a few historic interactions from Dominaria in my cube in white.

en_wq79LzXvk9.png

I think this is the best guildmage in the set. Great for copying cheap value spells! Yes I'ld like a double Serum Visions for {1}{U}{R} please!

en_iZoU1vZXtO.png

Annoying or great? This is worded like Gonti, Lord of Luxury, so you get to cast the cards this pilfered, even if the specter leaves play. I was looking for a replacement for Taigam, Sidisi's Hand because that one is just a bit too resilient for what it does.

en_oDSGHuYYR2.png

This looks like a great split card. Value early on, immense payoff if you can make it to the late game!

I'm definitely going to add the following cards

en_90mPJ1NDXH.png
en_DUXCS5jbkb.png
en_ylkzMLYbqx.png
en_aBicu0W3rK.png
en_rbe9YdGC23.png
en_wzNyvZffyf.png
en_xNSBDqrc5Z.png

That's it for now. Might not seen like a lot for some, but my usual rate is to add 1 or 2 cards from a new set, since I'm careful with changes and I like to keep as much old school stuff in my cube as possible.

corrected.

Bonus shoutou to Torch Courier, i love the oldschool art and the hilarious flavor text

Definitely:

Midnight Reaper
Plaguecrafter

I've been looking to boost my 3cmc black creature slot, and this set delivered for me. I've been hoping for a grim haruspex without morph as a I don't support the mechanic in my cube.

Probably:
Goblin Cratermaker

Could replace the recently added Dismissive Pyromancer as it has a bit more utility in my cube.

I wish Doom Whisperer had different stats as the pay life to surveil is sick. 6/6 flying trample for 5 is a little too beefy for me. It seems like a card that should be a 5/3 or 5/4 flyer without trample.

Multicolor cards I'm looking at:
en_Ulg8LdPLjA.png
en_WNc7lU8RRx.png
en_C4wYRUB5wR.png
en_vc8KOUn4AF.png
en_J9vjn0uhOC.png
en_i57L18rpW2.png
en_s42V8VvJPd.png
en_Fz5zJzOoMK.png
en_xVAKMr2PnZ.png
en_kVHUPiVjH0.png
en_p5HcRtM8TI.png
en_zPRhe3zYEQ.png

I could run all or none of these. I probably won't run more than 2 new Golgari and 1 new Dimir cards. Boros and Sylesnya both need a bit of a re-vamp in my cube, and I think these are a good place to start. I'm running all the Izzet cards on this list though :)

This set is awesome. I feel like I want to add half of it.

Here's what I'm looking at with a cursory first pass through the Card Image Gallery:

en_4ZO2NFWXRk.png
en_90mPJ1NDXH.png
en_Co3HGiNQzd.png
en_TbCDco062e.png
en_fFX7ZGrSKJ.png
en_deobXuPdFp.png
en_dabpJOPjSs.png
en_sZsnLz6L3v.png
en_yM42Es0kjU.png
en_GBDJMBsryR.png
en_pYYcick7LW.png
en_kSx9ls39fH.png