General [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica

didnt get half the cards i wanted in 24 packs. most of them were uncommon too. wanted that ub drake and kraul harpooner lol . fuck u wizards back to proxying

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
didnt get half the cards i wanted in 24 packs. most of them were uncommon too. wanted that ub drake and kraul harpooner lol . fuck u wizards back to proxying
Wow, classy. :rolleyes:

I usually wait it out and buy singles nowadays, boosters are not a reliable way to get your cards, unless you order multiple boxes (and even then the mythics are by no means guaranteed).

Uh, yeah. Don’t get me wrong, I love it when I crack a card in a booster I wanted for my cube, but I wouldn’t go into booster cracking with any expectations. NB: the two cards you mentioned you mentioned you were hoping to crack are each listed on TCGplayer for ten cents. I wouldn’t turn to proxying just yet.

I have been doing drafts and sealed on Arena. Arena seems pretty cool and I’m enjoying GRN so far. It seems complicated and Ravnica-y, where sometimes your shit just doesn’t come together and it’s a mess heh

Just dropping in to say I had chamber sentry during prerelease and it was really good. Now it probably helped that I had and played chromatic lantern but pleased I'm adding it to the cube. Really good when I could give it death touch, and related, I was super impressed with status // statue. So flexible, deathtouch got used a lot as well as using Enchantment removal to get rid of pacifism style effects.

Okay. I've been playing a janky UR control deck featuring this on Arena, and I think this card might be the Truth. I secretly suspect that with a bit of tuning, it could in fact be not janky at all. We always talk about how storm is so poisonous that it's not worth including in cube. What if there was one card that could get you all the sweetness of storming off without actually having to run any cards with storm on them?

That line of logic is solid!

But how do you make such a card work in cube? Are you suuuuper low power or am I misunderstanding how good/bad this card actually is?

That line of logic is solid!

But how do you make such a card work in cube? Are you suuuuper low power or am I misunderstanding how good/bad this card actually is?

-Take a turn off (ideally, like, t5 with a mana rock).
-Cast a kill spell.
-Cast Ponder, draw two cards.
-Cast Lightning Bolt for 9 points to the dome.
-If you still really need to, cast Shock for another 8 points to the dome.

-Cast a kill spell.

Well that is very good but it kind of requires you to not need to cast that kill spell, that Ponder, that Bolt and that Shock until turn 6. I know that is doable but can it merit a deck?

-Cast a kill spell.

We've only had this card in the cube for one draft, but I managed to grab it, and this was kinda my experience.

I had the card in a very fast deck featuring:

I found that in my environment (or at least in this particular decklist - need to do more testing) there were two problems.

(1) Usually I could kill them before I got to 6 mana (and I really wanted to be playing 15 or 16 lands), so I ended up ultimately cutting Thousand-Year Storm from my deck half-way through the night. This might be because my cube is very fast... but I think it's more just the deck I was playing was even faster than normal.

(2) When you cast Thousand-Year Storm you almost 100% just win on the spot if you get to your next turn. There's not actually a whole lot of play to it. You take a turn off, then the way decks work in my cube you can easily chain together 5 spells (which either gets you to 20 more spells, or bolts them to the face right then). Even decks that normally can't storm off in one turn could kill in a turn with this card in play.

I'm gonna test it a bit more (hopefully in a couple different shells), but I'm considering cutting it for the reasons above.

I'd love to hear more stories of it actually coming together because it is a sweet card, but I dunno if a 6 mana do nothing is where I would want to be. Seems like you'll have to sandbag a big of set-up just to go off the following turn, though admittedly if you win the game that's a pretty good incentive to do so. You'll need to chain some wonky stuff in a traditional cube to really go off, something like Gitaxian Probe into Frantic Search into a payoff card on T7.

it does seem fun as a combo ohko finisher. i have been waiting for a playable pyromancer ascension

-Cast a kill spell.

in this scenario sentinel tower does 1+2+3+4 = 10 damage. plus the shock and lightning bolt for +5

dynavolt tower isnt as bursty. fields earlier. and energy synergy. someone tagged it earlier and i tried it in a non energy cube. plays like a slow repeatable seal of fire / shrine of burning rage

I’ve done about a dozen or so drafts on Arena now and my early impression is that the set kind of sucks for limited. It might be better in an environment with timed matches. 1 in 2 matches is against a dimir deck with a bunch of hand destruction and it turns into an excruciating top-deck fest that lasts more than an hour. Green also seems pretty bad. Izzet is super fun though when you are playing Magic and I’ve done pretty well with all of Boros, Izzet, and Dimir

I would draft M19 but that is essentially the same thing but with life gain wall decks.

If only they would let us keep drafting Dominaria!

I’ve done about a dozen or so drafts on Arena now and my early impression is that the set kind of sucks for limited. It might be better in an environment with timed matches. 1 in 2 matches is against a dimir deck with a bunch of hand destruction and it turns into an excruciating top-deck fest that lasts more than an hour. Green also seems pretty bad. Izzet is super fun though when you are playing Magic and I’ve done pretty well with all of Boros, Izzet, and Dimir

I would draft M19 but that is essentially the same thing but with life gain wall decks.

If only they would let us keep drafting Dominaria!

Yeah. I'm disappointed in it as a limited format so far. I feel the same way about it that I felt with Gatecrash. Maybe Boros just ruins limited formats? I still want to include like half the rares in my cube at least. That's where the meat of this set lies.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah. I'm disappointed in it as a limited format so far. I feel the same way about it that I felt with Gatecrash. Maybe Boros just ruins limited formats? I still want to include like half the rares in my cube at least. That's where the meat of this set lies.
Really? I want to include half of the commons and uncommons! :)

I’ve gotten to the point where I have started autoconceding and getting up to do something else when opp. disinformation campaign resolves. Not because it’s an auto-win, but because I have better things to do then sit for an hour watching someone pass their turn while I sit with an empty hand of cards, lol

Yeah, I just drafted Boros bears full of just commons and uncommons on Friday and kind of cruised to an easy 3-0 in my pod. Being able to punch through for a few points early plus chip away with that one guy that you can pay 1W to fly (I had 3) for that turn tends to get the job done. It was actually kind of like playing the BW Humans archetype from my cube; just draft a really low curve, apply pressure early and often, point your removal at blockades and/or run guys into them to punch in more damage, then close it out with some sort of reach.

The format doesn't seem to have a ton of interesting interplay to it though. Golgari blows, Boros can just run over decks with a low curve, UBx decks just grind forever, Izzet is more cute than effective unless you have the nuts, and Selesnya is middling with nothing all that impressive. I just don't see how some ambitious multicolor pile slowed down by gates would actually manage to deal with a finely drafted Boros deck tbh, it just throws a complete wrench into things. I'll probably draft it one more time just to check it out some more, but it feels pretty shallow overall.

stack enough mephitic vapor, severed strand, lifelink, life drain

being able to block their reach from game one and timing them out game 2

foiled by lifegain if i dont account for it during deckbuilding. got beat by life soldiers 2w then trostani prerelease

the blue draw gate seemed bad. the green wayfinder was good