General [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica

I don't believe for a minute that Wizards was (intentionally) moving away from 'hate towards only one color' either, they were consciously moving away from 'protection from <color>', but that's not the same as eliminating color hate altogether. I mean, we just had the mare cycle printed in M19 this summer (and that green one suuuuuuuucked for limited because it was effectively 'protection from black').

I said they moved away from it up until the ‘hexproof from color’ was printed which was in Dominaria. The Mare cycle you are refering to happened later in M19 and thus proves my point that we are now moving backwards from the trend we were for so long up until the ‘hexproof from color’ creatures.

The only bad thing in the design of Vine Mare is both lines of text. A hexproof 5/3 wouldn't be very problematic (good, but not very problematic). A "can't be blocked by black creatures" 5/3 wouldn't be that problematic. And "Hexproof from black" wouldn't be problematic either. The key is leaving room for interaction, which that design cleanly stops. It's more like Protection from Black than it is Hexproof from Black.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I said they moved away from it up until the ‘hexproof from color’ was printed which was in Dominaria. The Mare cycle you are refering to happened later in M19 and thus proves my point that we are now moving backwards from the trend we were for so long up until the ‘hexproof from color’ creatures.

You are absolutely right. The last non-reprint set with color-hate cards was Dragons of Tarkir (Surge of Righteousness, Encase in Ice, Self-Inflicted Wound, Rending Volley, and Display of Dominance). Well, I wouldn't mind them moving away from it again then, though if they want to keep something like that around, I maintain that 'hexproof from <color>' is one of the least annoying hate-implementations they have ever thought of.

The only bad thing in the design of Vine Mare is both lines of text. A hexproof 5/3 wouldn't be very problematic (good, but not very problematic). A "can't be blocked by black creatures" 5/3 wouldn't be that problematic. And "Hexproof from black" wouldn't be problematic either. The key is leaving room for interaction, which that design cleanly stops. It's more like Protection from Black than it is Hexproof from Black.

And yes, it's definitely the combination of both abilities that makes this such an annoying card.

But that cycle is not even relevant for the discussion because they are not game-ending due to the opponent randomly play the hated color.

Anyways I have said what I want :) <3

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Didn't they have some colour hate cards in hour of devastation as well?

Yeah, but only for the same color, not enemy colors. The effect of those on limited is less pronounced, because you are cutting that color anyway. Still,

PpV0evc.png

I didn't think much of this card when it was spoiled, but now I'm thinking it might be perfect for my Selesnya section, which cares about lands and going wide:

I really find these GRN split cards particularly ugly though. Have to decide if it's worth it!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I tested both Selesnya split cards, and they were both excellent in my {G/W} go wide decks! I even won a game where I went eot Assure // Assemble to make three tokens into Flower // Flourish to pump and attack for 12 (ok, 16 really, because I had another 2/2 lying around). I also got away with running a land less because of the Flower side in one of my drafts, and still have flood insurance because of the Flourish side. It's a pretty nice card, much nicer than I anticipated!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
One thing I worry about is that all of my current split cards are aftermath. I know if I put this in, someone's going to try to cast the 2nd half from their graveyard.
The difference in border should help there. It does have a different layout after all.

Repost from the Brother's War thread, Surveil Matters just got a revamp!

MaRo has just confirmed Surveil and Landfall are becoming deciduous!
question 1 said:
Mark... gatherer had a weird update this morning. Are surveil and landfall becoming evergreen?
question 2 said:
Hi Mark! I just saw that a bunch of cards in Gatherer got errata’d to use Surveil rather than the spelled out wording. Whats happening there?
MaRo said:
They are both becoming deciduous.
We’ve decided to make surveil deciduous, so we’re errataing old cards with the exact text to be surveil (as there are cards that mechanically care about it).
Importantly, these cards are being errataed to have surveil!

So that's 18 new Surveil cards! This is a big deal, because there 6 "surveil matters" cards in Guilds of Ravnica that just became significantly more well-supported than they were previously.

I think the big winner here is Blood Operative. This card always seemed like it was on the cusp of being good enough for Cube inclusion, but was just undersupported. A recursive 3/1 lifelink with built-in graveyard hate seems pretty good, but when you could only really surveil with Sinister Sabotage, Discovery // Dispersal, Doom Whisperer, Dream Eater, and Nightveil Sprite, it was not consistently triggerable. This errata has given us Consider, Curate, Eat to Extinction, Grim Flayer, and Search for Azcanta, in addition to the fantastic Dragon's Rage Channeler, Foul Watcher, Master of Death, and Sinister Starfish we got in Modern Horizon's 2!

Reactions: dbs
Mono-color cards I'm looking at:
en_yzNVF5Lxiv.png
en_giztSiV1bc.png
en_dabpJOPjSs.png
en_sZsnLz6L3v.png
en_SmOnL86hCu.png
en_yM42Es0kjU.png
en_p81jGPdl8c.png
en_kSx9ls39fH.png
en_aBicu0W3rK.png
en_wzNyvZffyf.png
en_ZAxHUOC7ne.png
en_GTeMeKqq4n.png
en_8zT3pDRGHp.png
en_aHZFvl4MiN.png
en_QbPJpG8PfN.png
Multicolor cards I'm looking at:
en_Ulg8LdPLjA.png
en_WNc7lU8RRx.png
en_C4wYRUB5wR.png
en_J9vjn0uhOC.png
en_i57L18rpW2.png

I could run all or none of these. I probably won't run more than 2 new Golgari and 1 new Dimir cards. Boros and Sylesnya both need a bit of a re-vamp in my cube, and I think these are a good place to start. I'm running all the Izzet cards on this list though :)
Also, good lord was I bad at card evaluation when I wrote this. Ew.

Also, good lord was I bad at card evaluation when I wrote this. Ew.
Looking through your list, I think you mainly missed on undergrowth--the rest of the list is at least defensible on power level even if it doesn't quite align with your goals these days. And you weren't the only one who assumed that WotC wouldn't kneecap an entire guild by giving them a really, really mediocre mechanic to work with.

Looking through your list, I think you mainly missed on undergrowth--the rest of the list is at least defensible on power level even if it doesn't quite align with your goals these days. And you weren't the only one who assumed that WotC wouldn't kneecap an entire guild by giving them a really, really mediocre mechanic to work with.
I don't know, I think I should have known these wouldn't be good regardless of Undergrowth's power level.

What do you mean it's high variance? You just need a little bit of this, and it's perfectly reliable!

In all seriousness, Radiance is one of those mechanics that sucks because of the double-whammy of being wildly dependent on how good your format is at color fixing and the fact that they were hyper conservative with what effects they gave radiance.

I think that this thing is, quite literally, the only Radiance card I'd actually consider passable:

Because I mean... come on, Cleansing Beam? What were you thinking, Wotc?

This one is fine too, obviously low powered but it's a pretty good pinger that controls tokens really well.

Edit: wait, that costs one more mana than I thought. Ok, that's really bad.