General [WAR] War of the Spark

I do and I find it unlikely :) It could happen but I do not think it will. But anything goes as long as we are in pre-prerelease land :D

I stand by my bet: Wizards will make planeswalkers be in WAR without actually putting them into the set by making them promotional etc. That leaves the actual set with an average-to-little-above-average amount of walkers which therefore won’t hurt limited or Standard. I is the perfect timing for a Planeswalker Masterpiece series.

That is my guess.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, I agree it's the most likely scenario. MaRo has stated before that planeswalker design space is much narrower than you would think, so it would be really weird for them to go ham and print 36 new walkers in one set (WotC confirmed that each of the 36 stained glass windows is showing a planeswalker in the set, I believe).

Bolt, the Lightning RR
Legendary Planeswalker - Bolt
-2 Deal 3 damage to any target.
-2 Destroy target artifact.
-2 Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.
[2]

That sounds like a reasonable solution. Either that or they would have to do some serious downgrading on the power level of planeswalkers in this to avoid standard becoming a mess. Maybe walkers with only minus abilities, so they're effectively charms-like cards. You know, something like...

Garruk, Charmy Boi {2}{B}{G}
Legendary Creature - Garruk
-2: Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
-2: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of lands you control.
-4: Untap all lands you control. They become 1/1 black and green Wolf creatures with deathtouch until end of turn. They're still lands.

I don't know, you catch my drift, right?

IMO, this is the way planeswalkers should have always been designed. They probably wouldn't have had as much trouble with the design if -X was the default or avoided ultimates altogether. I understand that they design these cards with particular folks in mind however.

I wonder which mechanical themes the set will have. Maybe it will be really combat focused, because war? this would also make it easier to deal with annoying PWs.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...r-look-stained-glass-planeswalkers-2019-03-08

Did you see the War of the Spark teaser? It's great, right? With the rain and the somber music and all those candles.

And those gorgeous stained-glass Planeswalkers! They're kind of hard to see in the video though, which is a shame because each piece is absolutely fantastic and was commissioned specifically for the teaser.

Good thing your buddy Chris is here to show off that art so you can see it in all its glory!

What's more, each of these 36 Planeswalkers will have a planeswalker card in War of the Spark. (The card art will be different, though—in fact, these stained-glass versions aren't appearing on cards at all!) You'll have to wait for War of the Spark previews in April to see the new cards, but each booster pack will contain a planeswalker so you should have no trouble getting your hands on them when the set is released.

Oh no... Every prerelease card pool will have 7 planeswalkers... What could go wrong?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...r-look-stained-glass-planeswalkers-2019-03-08

Oh no... Every prerelease card pool will have 7 planeswalkers... What could go wrong?

I think part of the reason why planeswalkers suck so much in limited is because they provide so much value. The "swinginess" of walkers is greatly reduced when everyone gets to play with them.

Plus, I'm sure we'll have more Heroes Downfall and Bramblecrush effects in this set. There is no way that WOTC prints a bunch of planeswalkers in a draft set without answers.

Also, these two guys appear to be characters we've never seen before:
04_CflIylsZpU.jpg
12_jnGhEekbnD.jpg

They look to be U/W and W/G in my opinion, judging by their color schemes.

33_FuuZQdIZ60.jpg

It looks like the Eternals will be making an appearance in this set. I almost thought that we wouldn't see them, given that they were so unstoppable on Amonkhet.

And it looks like we've found the mastermind behind everything that has happened in the Gatewatch Storyarc as well:
11_GkyUk9cLSX.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
06_PvgfmRfwpM.jpg
28_kB6vy4HNmJ.jpg

We've never seen Teyo Verada and Davriel on a card before either. I'm excited to see what they make of those characters mechanically, despite my misgivings about so many planeswalkers in one set.

14_Sof5AdXr9x.jpg

Also, Sorin escaped from his stony prison?

26_ja8dbZ6dIn.jpg

And Nahiri is on Ravnica too?

He maaaaaaad! This is going to be an epic duel!

Designing a fun & balanced limited enviro where planeswalkers are that plentiful is quite the challenge. I'm excited to see what they came up with but I wont be surprised if it's a complete mess

Laz

Developer
Why is designing a set with answers for a theme in mind terrifying?

My impression is that it depends upon the subtlety of the answers. There are a lot of ways in which this environment either makes playing planeswalkers a trap, or makes it a horrible planeswalker-heavy grindfest. It feels like it might be a fairly thin path to walk between those, but it will be cool to see what the environment ends up looking like.

I think part of the reason why planeswalkers suck so much in limited is because they provide so much value. The "swinginess" of walkers is greatly reduced when everyone gets to play with them.

Plus, I'm sure we'll have more Heroes Downfall and Bramblecrush effects in this set. There is no way that WOTC prints a bunch of planeswalkers in a draft set without answers.

Also, these two guys appear to be characters we've never seen before:
12_jnGhEekbnD.jpg

I've seen people saying this is Mu Yanling from the Global Series product, although as far as I can see they don't look anything alike.

This is exactly what Wizards wanted :) All of us fans to ponder and debate which planeswalkers we were actually looking at :p Brilliant!

Interesting to see the new Oracle text on it so soon. Wonder if that's why they're reprinting it.

I think Maro stated the reason this card got an Errata and others didn't was precisely because it was getting reprinted. They did, however, regret doing errata before printing that card with the new wording.