General [WAR] War of the Spark

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
timewipe.jpg
The Wrath I was talking about. Pretty spicy!

tibaltrakishinstigator.jpg
A Tibalt that decidedly sucks less! Not that you'ld readily play it, but it's a cute design!

obnixilisthehatetwisted.jpg
Now this one I do like a lot! Pings your opponent whenever they draw, which is a nice static ability, and his removal is very flexible. Either you trade one of your creatures for two cards, or you give your opponent two cards, but they're down a threat and they take 2 damage. I like it a lot!

obnixilisscruelty.jpg
Speaking of I like it a lot, this is a really good removal spell! Exiling is pretty relevant (in my environment at least), and -5/-5 will kill almost everything, but even those cards can be taken down in combat, because this is an instant! Great, great card! Like, this is Murder-level good, and it's easier to cast and common!

The more I see of this set, the less excited I am becoming. I only like that Proliferate card and the new Ajani so far...

Then again, we haven't really seen any of the cards for constructed yet (other than Badderblossom and Time Wipe), so I'm sure there will be at least some goodies. Here's to hoping that Proliferate is on some sweet, aggressively costed cards.

I have to admit I'm a tiny bit annoyed. I was planning on building (not sure about making IRL) a PW cube, something as "gimmicky" as the desert cube, just for fun. The fact that WAR was to be something similar made me feel a bit rushed to get a post out before the spoilers started, as I didn't want it to "taint" the direction of the cube, but I've not made it in time :/

Set looks interesting for sure, I'm excited to see what they do with it. I'm glad to see proliferate again.

Can we get a better name than "badderblossom"? I keep reading it like bLadder blossom :p

Call it whatever you like.

jacewielderofmysteries.jpg

I could get on board with Laboratory Maniac Jace! It's pretty much exactly what I wanted!

paradisedruid.jpg

There was a fake leak of this card a couple days ago. That version of it was a 0/1 that had the t: add one mana of any color ability, but you could also pay 2 and tap it to proliferate. I much preferred that card to this.

Yeah but the fake version was overly pushed. Like instaban pushed. Proliferate should not be a 2 mana ability that can be activated each turn :p On a 2-drop.

I can’t figure out if its super dangerous or just bad.

What do you think?

That looks crazy strong with any kind of top of library manipulation. I feel like if this hits the board while you're at any sort of reasonable life total it's going to be very hard for you to lose the game.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well, it has three colored mana symbols of the same color, so it's not getting anywhere near my cube. Only Cruel Ultimatum has that privilege ;)

Honestly though, card looks super, super cool in a cube that pushes life gain as a theme!

it's definitely dangerous but it needs a certain context

also, that second ability, while i suspect mostly designed as trinket text, i suspect is doable in some of the decks that would play a card like this in eternal formats (although they would not play it for that ability)

edit: on the other hand, it's also worth comparing the type of card like this that saw relatively little play like null profusion / recycle

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A bunch of cards got leaked on a Russian Facebook page. Some of them look super annoying for limited, like a four mana Sorin that starts at 6 loyalty (assuming you use its +2 the turn it hits) that grants teamwide lifelink to your creatures and planeswalkers on your turn as its static ability. However, new Domri just brought a tear to my eye. It's damn near perfect for my cube, and at a completely reasonable power level!

2A5F7B39-0E8E-4776-A8D4-E22EAFA258BE.jpeg

The quality is kinda bad, so I'll do a text version as well:

Domri, Anarch of Bolas {1}{R}{G}
Legendary Planeswalker - Domri
Creatures you control get +1/+0.
+1: Add {R} or {G}. Creature spells you cast this turn can't be countered.
-2: Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.

Ramp, fighting, and a teamwide attack boost in one. Love it!

Linky: https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums...re-walkers-niv-mizzet-simic-legend?comment=16
I think Ral does 1 damage with his static ability, not 3, though.

Yeah, it works :) Liliana is dusted in awesome defiance though, that's quite a difference ;)

I did find it a bit peculiar that they didn't show her becoming this skeleton general? I read it after having watched the trailer, but it could've been communicated that she was in fact defying bolas. I just thought she'd stolen a bunch of skeletons from Bolas but got toasted.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I did find it a bit peculiar that they didn't show her becoming this skeleton general? I read it after having watched the trailer, but it could've been communicated that she was in fact defying bolas. I just thought she'd stolen a bunch of skeletons from Bolas but got toasted.

iirc there's some history between Liliana and Bolas. Wait, let me look that up for you...

At some point after the Mending, a severely weakened Nicol Bolas met with a wizened Liliana Vess. She was envious of the fact that he was seemingly unaffected by the mending. He berated her, stating that he had lost more power than she could learn in a dozen lifetimes. Bolas lamented that only a few years previously, planeswalkers like them were akin to living gods who exerted their power and influence throughout the Multiverse. Bolas then brokered a deal with the four demons who would give Liliana her youth and a fraction of her old power back, in exchange for servitude.

And here comes the killer...

After the Gatewatch cleaned up on Dominaria, they left for Ravnica and the ultimate fight with Nicol Bolas. Intending to follow her friends, Liliana found out that she was unable to. Suddenly, Nicol Bolas materialized out of the darkness, pointing out that her pact with the demons was still in order. With all four demons dead, the contract had defaulted to its broker, Bolas himself. He also explained that if she disobeyed his orders in any way, the pact would kill her. She would age hundreds of years in a moment, and become a desiccated husk to be blown away on the wind. Sick at heart, bound like a prisoner to a new incarnation of a fate she had schemed so long to cheat, Liliana followed Bolas off the plane.

That custom name is great :D

Also, it does look like Gids is tryin' to put the Blackblade to use. Don't know how he'll get close enough to use it by just running at Bolas like it seems he was, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Are you running that Go (to) Hell that I praised so much in 2017? ;)

I was wondering if we should change Go to costs 1U instead of just U and be able to Disperse instead of just Unsummon in order for it to:
1. Not look like a Dimir variant of Time Wipe
2. Combo with Demonic Pact

No, actually. I was looking for a second black wrath at the time, but I didn't want to run Damnation because it's a 4 mana wrath. Ironically, my search for an alternative ended with me adding a four mana card after all in Phyrexian Scriptures :) Consign // Oblivion has been my Dimir aftermath card, and has been quite decent in the Demonic Pact deck especially. I could see replacing it with your proposed change to Go // Hell though if Scriptures proves to be problematic :)

A bunch of cards got leaked on a Russian Facebook page. Some of them look super annoying for limited, like a four mana Sorin that starts at 6 loyalty (assuming you use its +2 the turn it hits) that grants teamwide lifelink to your creatures and planeswalkers on your turn as its static ability. However, new Domri just brought a tear to my eye. It's damn near perfect for my cube, and at a completely reasonable power level!

View attachment 2349

The quality is kinda bad, so I'll do a text version as well:

Domri, Anarch of Bolas {1}{R}{G}
Legendary Planeswalker - Domri
Creatures you control get +1/+0.
+1: Add {R} or {G}. Creature spells you cast this turn can't be countered.
-2: Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.

Ramp, fighting, and a teamwide attack boost in one. Love it!

Linky: https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums...re-walkers-niv-mizzet-simic-legend?comment=16
I think Ral does 1 damage with his static ability, not 3, though.

I legitimately wish that the RNA Domri had been like this, just giving riot instead of "can't be countered."

These Rarewalkers are great!