General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Now one hundred percent less broken and with flavor text :D

Edit: New version two posts ahead!
Haggler's Haunt.full.jpg

I mean, I'm sure reminder text is appreciated for less enfranchised drafter, but then I'ld have to leave off this gem of a flavor text I thought of! Maybe I need to include some madness cards in my cube for reference, that wouldn't hurt the discard matters deck anyway :)

I could be wrong but I believe Wizards would word it like this: “During each of your turns”

I am not 100 % sure though and I just wanted to let you have the opportunity to think about it.

I sugges one last nerf: Make it an upkeep trigger instead of the rare end step trigger.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I could be wrong but I believe Wizards would word it like this: “During each of your turns”

I am not 100 % sure though and I just wanted to let you have the opportunity to think about it.

I sugges one last nerf: Make it an upkeep trigger instead of the rare end step trigger.

I was going off

I think the "during each of your turns" is very specifically used when you can do something once per turn and only on your turn, to prevent confusion in case you take an extra turn somehow. Haggler's Haunt has an always on effect, which more closely models cards like Abolisher and Theater in scope.

Changing it to an upkeep effect is a good idea. There's no reason why it should be an end step effect, really, especially because it's less feel bad when you actually get to untap before you discard your first card to this effect. Good call!

Haggler's Haunt.full.jpg

Hey guys. There is so much creativity and hard work in this thread! Very commendable.

I am trying to enable "multicolor matters cards". As Jason suggests in his eldrazi domain cube - one way to do this is include hybrid cards, especially 1 drops. I find that Orzhov is lacking in this department. Have any of you tried to remedy this?

Edit:
I might include Gift of Orzhova to also push monoW / monoB as well as give some redundancy to the enchantment theme I am trying to support in Esper.

1/4 lifelink with whenever you gain life, tutor effect.
4 mana

If you want it at 3 you’re going to need to make her as vulnerable as the young Innistrad maidens after Avacyn got trapped in the Helvault. Probably 1/2 stats.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Interesting, but I probably want to make sure it can't (easily) trigger more than once in a single turn.

Also, considering the curve and my current roster if BW cards, the only way I would want to add this as a 4 drop, is if I replace Seraph of the Scales with a custom BW angel with afterlife at 3 mana. I mean, I'll admit that that's a pretty niche set of restrictions, but she's pulling together a lot of minor themes :)

Note that I wouldn't be especially opposed to this, as a 3 cmc afterlife angel would curve much better into all of the four mana Stax effects (e.g. Smokestack and friends), and a 4 cmc Sisay-shift has a bit more leeway since tutoring at 4 mana is a lot less dangerous than tutoring at 3.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I would honestly just test her at 1WB
Invasion was how many years ago? I think it's crept up to conditional card draw on a grey ogre level

Either way, I like Jump-Start. I think it's like flashback in the sense that you get to play the card from your graveyard and exile it afterward, but like retrace in the sense that you have to pay the original cost for the spell and discard a card. Depending on how far they pushed this, it could be quite good. For instance:

Volcanic Onslaught
1R
Sorcery
Volcanic Onslaught deals 3 damage to any target.
Jump-Start (You may cast this spell from your graveyard by discarding a card in addition to paying its other costs. Then Exile it.)

Obviously that's a bit of speculation on my part as far as the Jump Start Oracle Text is concerned, but I would love a card like this.
ZmsgApk.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It does need to enter tapped for evolving wilds.

That aside: I've dabbled with this idea for rampant growth. It does involve less shuffling, but people did think it was kinda off. In terms of JUST basics, you might want to create land tokens instead?

Also don't sleeve these basics or an unobservant player will end up with a 47 card deck by round 3

Hey guys, I want to complete the Amonkhet Bicycle lands as kinda customs for my cube. I currently use the ones Ondee made, and they're sweet, but I want them to look like they're from Amonkhet too. So maybe you guys have some artworks that could be a fit for an enemy dual land and look as amonkhet-ish as possible?

Thinking about making an Unstable Jumpstart Cube, so I revisited these customs to make contraptions less parasitic and so I can use their sick art. Not finalized (and I'd like it if I could flip them somehow) critiques and fixes are welcome.
FNGIkin.png

SQAY0uA.png

mYVimEo.png

I was considering making it so that if you have both "halves" of the contraption then they are no longer Unstable, but running out of room on the card. They would make a cute Exodia though.

I would make it a rule that the contraptions follow the same rules as Sagas but also start over from I when after III.

In this way you clear up some space. Behold example!

Left one is old one - Right one is my suggestion

FNGIkin.png The Auto Record Optimizer.png

Still very, very texty. If you decide to run custom contraptions in your cube, I would suggest you only run 1 per color to not burden the players with too many texty cards.

Yeah, I'm sure my players would understand. And yeah I completely agree, the most I was considering was 2 per color, but it'd be a stretch to get some of them. By the way are you using Magic Set Editor for custom Sagas? If you are I probably just need to update the fonts or something cuz your version looks a lot sharper.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, I'm sure my players would understand. And yeah I completely agree, the most I was considering was 2 per color, but it'd be a stretch to get some of them. By the way are you using Magic Set Editor for custom Sagas? If you are I probably just need to update the fonts or something cuz your version looks a lot sharper.
It looks like you haven't got the required font installed.

One needs three things to maneuver Magic Set Editor as far as I know.

1. MSE2 installed some place other than Program Files.
2. Installed all templates.
3. Installed the correct font.
4. Get to know the program. Each card type has several additional options that you can choose. For Sagas you can choose fewer or more chapters. You can choose to have each chapter be smaller or larger or even move them up or down. As Onde taught me you can also change chapter numbers (so you’re chapter 1 could be called 5 if you wanted.)

It seems like you know all of this but in case you don’t the I can help you with all four if you want.