General Custom Cards: The Lab

I think that's a neat compromise if we're sticking to printed lands. I've been interested in making a second cube that uses customs and a landbase that's less all-purpose than fetch/shock x2 ea. so I've been jamming on weird lands for awhile.

piiy78
cltt49

Together a cycle of these would suggest moving in a direction of a very madness / graveyard oriented cube - I'd want discards for value other than just the lands, and I'd want ways to get value of lands going to the yard other than through discard. And making all of that durdling feel 'good' would mean a slower format too.. maybe somewhere that a grey-ogre feels like a reasonable body?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That discard land feels a bit too strong with Reanimate. In fact, I'm pretty sure that ability is broken on a land :eek: Of course cube doesn't care about that, because you can balance around potentially broken enablers like this.

Oh yeah, there's no way you could print a cycle of "discard-land" in black border. Even if it *might* be fair in say, standard, it'd never be fair in modern or legacy. One of the things I like about custom card design for cubes is that it's "ok" to push the envelope like this with enablers, because we can control the payoffs. If the fastest you can hard reanimate is say, Zombify then the interactions early game tend toward madness (which still has some great early game plays but nothing that's "reanimate my 8 drop on turn one" broken).

I don't have a render for it, but how does: (no landtypes)"your opponent may discard a card, if they do, ~ etb tapped" (mind peel lands) strike you? I found it a lot harder to evaluate which is why my initial exploration focused on the "all upside" version where you choose which land you want.

edit: I'm prouder of Abandoned Farm as a design (even if it's just Haakon as a land) and maybe they're strong enough to stand on their own in the right environment? (Looters are easy enough in red and blue, maybe spellshapers for the other colors?)

which cycle did you like more? I'll work on doing the other 9 of the one you wanted this week.

(if you say both that's fine but it'll probably take a little longer on art/card titles)

Rules answer: no, because Rampant Growth says "Basic".

Spirit of the Question: To my understanding, you would be able to put these onto the battlefield with Crop Rotation for the same reason most green ramp spells let you get extra lands into play that turn: it does not count as "playing" the land. (It just puts it directly onto the battlefield). In my theorized environment the green search land spells were going to say "basic" for that reason.

I'll add Landtypes to the ones I do for you, sure. I didn't do it originally because with land types the restriction isn't very meaningful if there are fetchlands in the environment, even though again my theorized environment I wasn't planning to include such fetches.

edit: rather than make two posts in a row:

ugdf75
kgnz63
plbe98
ccaq10
qgia06
wycf58

rvhy05
afhl42
xvcc57
fwev12

I think the design is largely fixed for this round since these are for Blacksmithy (I think I definitely prefer the untyped templating myself but I totally understand wanting them to work with Foil, Abolish etc.) but I'm definitely interested on feedback regarding artwork and/or card titles. (I'm least happy about blue other than UB's art (title could maybe be improved), and BR might be too far off-theme at least right now. I wanted something like lantern-lit graveyard but uh, no one does art like that which isn't covered in Jack O'Lanterns!

Also UW could probably use a title fix to get rid of the word "Temple" since that's got kind of a loaded meaning these days.

the more i think about these, the more i want to run both cycles alongside fetches for the ultimate “Lands and Graveyards Matter” environment-supporting manabase. imagine the VALUE

A+

Few things:
1. Temple could maybe be something else. Chapel, Cathedral, Abbey..
2. Suspicious is fucking funny! But it is also the only word that doesn’t endulge a feeling of ‘old and no longer pristine’
3. How does one ruin a depth?
4. Forest, Lighthouse and River have art that feel very modern. Maybe even non-fantasy. I would consider new art. Onde can probably help you with that :p Unless you already have some lying around.

Still A+

Courtyard is just a magnificient art!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm wary of a land you literally can't play normally, these are going to have to be the maze of ith/mox diamond treatment during deck building.

Can we make them tap for colorless if you played them from your hand? that would fix a lot.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm wary of a land you literally can't play normally, these are going to have to be the maze of ith/mox diamond treatment during deck building.

Can we make them tap for colorless if you played them from your hand? that would fix a lot.
"You can play CARDNAME from your graveyard. If you do, it enters the battlefield with a Reclaim counter on it.
T: Add C.
T: Add <color1> or <color2>. Activate this ability only if CARDNAME has a Reclaim counter on it."

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Or the counter comes on if you play it from your hand. You can use depletion counters!
Depends on which one you see happening more I guess

Absolutely free to riff on these designs, I think it's awesome to see what other people think too. I was originally trying for an intentionally slower-clunky format so being hard to play turn 1 was a feature for me. I also think it's important that custom cards be as straightforward and easy to scan as possible, even if that means less overall power. (although, with types these are close to oduals, with a higher ceiling - I don't have a problem with "better than odual" in cubes, but it is worth remembering that 'power level of lands is tricky': these bring their own recursion against LD, being dead in the opening hand is maybe a fair price to pay for a land your opponent can't get rid of. the Wx ones in particular are probably very powerful if armageddon is in the environment.) also with enough early discard outlets, these are Card Advantage on a land, which is kind of a huge deal even if they can't be played without an enabler.

In a more typical cube (or a cube that isn't chock full of sweet mill and yard shenanigans) you'd probably want either only a very few of these in targeted colors (ala flagstones of trokair), or to change them to use counters of some kind yeah.

I like Onderzee's design for untyped. for the typed version I think you'd have to do:

Lost Shrine
Forest Plains
"You can play ~ from your graveyard. If you don't, it enters the battlefield with a depletion counter on it. ~ loses all land types while it has a depletion counter"
T: add {c}.

(the 'if you don't' language makes these bad to fetch btw.) too bad "wastes" isn't a land subtype, the templating would be easier if we could just say "is a wastes" spreading seas, then it wouldn't need the T: add {c}. If your target environment has eldrazi this should probably say "T: pay 1 life, add {c}")

I'm going to continue forward with the designs which are dead in hand. If anyone wants to do the others, the scaled images are available here: https://imgur.com/a/8gzcAr1 (these are 627x459 which is the size mtg.design uses for rendering) feel free to reuse (or change!) the art and titles but please change the set symbol :)

Art/Title discussion: (feedback and further suggestions appreciated!)

B/R: The more I look at {Suspicious Tavern} the more I think creative fits with the Bustling Port cycle. (a suspicious tavern also seems like a place where you might have to 'pay' extra costs.) I love the creative, I just don't think it fits the rest of the cycle. I'm going to trial the "Bancur Slums" art for this part of the cycle tonight. (working title: "Rickety Slums" although if we can get something that isn't Ramshackle for the UR land, I like "Ramshackle Slums")
U/G || R/G: I think the art is just too 'mirage era' to work with modern magic sensibility (where even basic lands usually have fantastic elements) I'm not married to either title or depiction, so if people have other ideas for a U/G or R/G land that thematically ties into 'old, disrepair, forgotten, damaged, lost' I'd love to see other takes. (The Pirate Ship in the stream one onderzee linked is my front runner for U/G retake right now)
U/R : I agree that the ramshackle lighthouse looks non-fantasy and definitely could use new art/title, feel free to suggest stuff! We do have "lighthouses" in UR (desolate lighthouse) and ixalan shows age of sail in era for magic, more or less, so it's not too far off, but the red brick looks like rusted metal in the smaller card art which is maybe too far. (I'll look more after work today too).
U/W : Sanctum is good, Sunken Sanctum might be too sibilant. "Drowned" usually feels blue-black to me. Flooded Sanctum? (is it still flooded if it's hundred of yards underwater?) Sunken Abbey is interesting but the art doesn't look much like an abbey to me, honestly it's kind of palatial but "Drowned Palace"... well, that actually does sound kind of UW I think? (still looking for more ideas/feedback here)

I think I'm pretty happy with the other 5 after a sleep on it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Typed lands are ultimately better, I agree, as they can also be fetched, meaning there's additional ways to get them into play for decks that don't easily self-discard. But that does make the wording a little trickier. How's this?

Choked River.jpg

PS. I just noticed you're missing a period in your reminder text, jerichoalar!

Nice art! Love me some Ixalan Merfolk & Pirate theme.

The original design feels clean. And like Jerichoalar said: “I also think it's important that custom cards be as straightforward and easy to scan as possible.” To me these new variants are no longer A+ because they are no longer simple. This is purely my personal opinion.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

The original design feels clean. And like Jerichoalar said: “I also think it's important that custom cards be as straightforward and easy to scan as possible.” To me these new variants are no longer A+ because they are no longer simple. This is purely my personal opinion.

Wait, wait, I got it!

Choked River.jpg

This feels borderline broken to me. Maybe cycling {4} is better, but {4} is so much!

Cycling seems really powerful at anything less than 5CMC. you are netting 2 cards for the mana at instant speed. that's colorless Jace's Ingenuity. (2 cards because you drew 1, (1) and still have a land to play (2)). Also I kind of like how the original design isn't all-in-one and this feels like it is its own enabler, even if it's slower.

Landwish 3 (3, exile this card from your hand, put a basic land card you own from outside the game into your hand.)

Landwish 2 (2, exile this card from your hand, put a basic land card that shares a type with it, that you own from outside the game, into your hand.)

Forestwish 1 (1, exile this card from your hand, put a basic forest card you own from outside the game into your hand.)

alts for the RU land:
https://img3.goodfon.com/original/1920x1080/7/cb/art-blinck-peyzazh-sooruzhenie.jpg (collapsed aqueduct)
https://corneliuscockroft.artstation.com/projects/e0JPZX?album_id=130937 (precarious span)
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k4VX5y (deserted monastery)

still haven't found anything better for RG yet.

edit: on the topic of missing periods: I had them in and removed them because they looked wrong to me (but I also only have physical cards from the era where they said "to your mana pool.") I should've checked a recent dual!

Chris Taylor

Contributor

While I get where you're coming from, lands not being playable is a big issue. I hope we can come up with something simple to fix that.

Maybe just like: {2}: Discard this card

so fun side effect, updates I make to the existing cards are pushed to the hosted image (so first draft is now more like second draft)

wycf58
rxwg16
crii58

Pretty happy with all three of these now, Thanks again for the art suggestions Onderzeeboot. Thank you also for the title suggestions Blacksmithy and Velrun.

I did a mock-up of a couple different versions of the UR land since I think the frame pinline is important for feel. Which one(s) are people's favorite?

lwkw35
mnqp13
curh11
qgia06

once I'm satisfied with the art designs I'll do one last set without the land types (for my own use at least, but I'll share here too). I guess I gotta figure out how to add a signature linking my customs too for future reference.

xvrr06

just have to figure out the creative on the other 8 now, and have very little idea where to start. (Giant Fancy Bank for WB? Magical Library for UR? T'r'oll-Bridge for GR? who knows!)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I like Precarious Span! Mountains and architecture :)

My other pick is still the Lighthouse. There's nothing in that picture really, that couldn't exist in the world of Magic. It's just that it hits a little too close to home. In other words, it looks so much like something that could (or does) exist on earth, that it doesn't look like fantasy art.

Collapsed Aqueduct

Because it is the only one you can justify being an Island. I very much like the art on Precarious Span. But it needs a new card.