General Custom Cards: The Lab

What’s the best way to word this?

New Edition
1WW
Enchantment
You may now also count up to one each of Druid, Barbarian, Bard, and Monk in your party, but no more than 4 total.

Holy Purpose
1WW
Enchantment
Your party instead consists of up to two each of Cleric and Knight.

This one goes to 5
1GG
creature - Munchkin
If you have a full party, your party is now 5. (A full Party is one each of cleric, rogue, warrior, and wizard.)
What do you mean my cousin can’t play too?
1/1

(and are these silver border? I think yes)

edit:
zdlj38

edit: maybe reanimate a creature from that players graveyard under your control + land to battlefield is more in line with Swords of X&Y?

I need help with an artwork.

I am looking for an art that could be the home of some sort of league of explorers. You know: Hall of heroes, adventurers guild, tavern of quests. Etc. I need the view of this building to be from the outside. Fantasy style artwork. The building also needs to look at epic as possible and thus not super cosy small-town style. This is where the legendary heroes come.

I thought this would be an easy one but I can't seem to find a good one.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Are you thinking more "people looking at map to plan next dungeon run" or "adventurers guild hall from the outside"

Because if it's the former I remember an image from Dragon age inquisition I'd been meaning to use

Thank you very much!

Hall of Heroes Cropped.png

This is a building you may construct when you're the player sitting outside and spectating the other two players playing a game against each other. When you lose a game, you enter 'The Kingdom' which is a board game where players may slowly build up their kingdom to improve their deck and other things. This building is particularly difficult to get and is one of the ways to level up your character.

I might need help with another tomorrow :p Thank you very much!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
No no, they're in the main draft. Customs AND a ULD is a bit too much explaining.

They're good. They aren't high picks I find, but my playgroup is way more focused on playing more colors and jamming powerful cards than making focused synergy 2-2.5 color decks, so they're less valuable than another fetch or a dual land you'll play half of for a splash.

Yup, I learned early on that Complexity management was going to be very important for any cube I wanted to make, because I don't have a regular 6+ person playgroup who is deep in magic. (It's usually board gamers, casual magic players, and friends of friends).

When it comes to customs in particular you also have to overcome the natural inclination of players to distrust customs. So the outline for my "Custom cube" (which will also be my "Cheap" cube since handing friends of friends the equivalent of a stack of hundred dollar bills to borrow for 3-4 hours is a questionable life decision) was going to follow these rules for customs:
1) Necessary - Is there a retail card that would serve the same draft and deckbuilding role?
2) Simple - What's the fewest lines of rules text that makes the card do what I need it to do?
3) Plausible - Is this something wizards (or at least, Evil-Mirror-Universe Wizards) could print someday, even if it would be a power level mistake? (Silver Border is an escape clause for 'zany' cards, but Evil-Mirror-Universe Wizards still needs to be plausible)

I love for example, {Crack the Case} - It's a necessary card (White lacks cube-tier efficient card draw), it's simple (Making Clues and Sacrificing Clues is something the environment already wants a player to do), and it's Plausible (or at least, as plausible as white card draw is ever going to be). I think a lot of colorshifts end up being simple necessary and plausible too (e.g. in this same category, White or Hybrid White Rhystic Study is probably only a matter of time.)

In comparison, I didn't like
d0fab3lpgdn51.jpg
from r/custommagic. If we assume this is for EDH, it's necessary (White lacks EDH-tier big mana effects), it's NOT simple (you can actually respond to the cumulative upkeep trigger with the mana ability to generate {c}{c} every turn while paying 0 mana, which makes it basically "Sol ring #2 for Upkeep Costs", and the sequencing decisions on how many age counters you're willing to stack up to carry into the main phase get complicated fast.) and it's not plausible (While Braid of Fire exists, it was also printed in an era where mana burn was still a thing that happened. and Wizards hasn't printed a new card with "Cumulative Upkeep" since Coldsnap in 2006 (not even in silver border!) and has since characterized the 2006-2008 era of magic cards as "too complex".

I think the current era (at least, the first two years of the post-block era) will get labeled too complex as well eventually, which is probably also why Wizards is stepping back to having "mechanical Blocks" starting with MDFCs in Zendikar-Kaldheim-Strixhaven (ZKS block) even if the flavor of the sets is not tied together in the same way.

I'm wary of a land you literally can't play normally, these are going to have to be the maze of ith/mox diamond treatment during deck building.

I chewed on this for awhile. might require different creative but:

MadLand
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
When you discard ~ you may play it instead. If you do, untap ~ after it enters the battlefield. (You may only play lands on your turn and must still obey any limits on the number of lands you may play each turn.)
T: add R or G.

(alternate wording, not sure which is better / more correct to oracle)
~ enters the battlefield tapped if you did not play it from exile.
When you discard ~ you may exile it instead. If you do, you may play it from exile this turn. (You may only play lands on your turn and must still obey any limits on the number of lands you may play each turn.)

At the cost of not being resilient to LD, and needing help if it gets milled, this is a land that is playable from hand, for color, but is better if you can find a way to discard it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I chewed on this for awhile. might require different creative but:

MadLand
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
When you discard ~ you may play it instead. If you do, untap ~ after it enters the battlefield. (You may only play lands on your turn and must still obey any limits on the number of lands you may play each turn.)
T: add R or G.

(alternate wording, not sure which is better / more correct to oracle)
~ enters the battlefield tapped if you did not play it from exile.
When you discard ~ you may exile it instead. If you do, you may play it from exile this turn. (You may only play lands on your turn and must still obey any limits on the number of lands you may play each turn.)

At the cost of not being resilient to LD, and needing help if it gets milled, this is a land that is playable from hand, for color, but is better if you can find a way to discard it.

Madness and Dark-Dweller Oracle suggest the following wording:

If you discard ~, discard it into exile. When you do, play it or put it into your graveyard. (You can play this land this way only if you have an available land play remaining.)

I'd want to keep a 'may' trigger on the discard, there are reasons you might not want the 'madness' trigger (I'm assuming we can't just put "Madness {0}" on this), like say, fueling a delve spell or something. otherwise, yeah that looks much clearer.

edit: I see now that the 'or put it into your graveyard' addresses that.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yep, the wording does indeed address that. Also, no, you can't use madness itself, as that mechanic lets you cast something you discard for mana, and you can't cast lands, nor do you pay mana for them to play them. There's, mechanically, a huge difference between a mana cost of {0} and no mana cost.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Can you upload them again?

This is an excellent point. Entry barrier is important if your audience is ever changing.

pcuPobk.jpg
h6xGgUZ.jpg
xKJGnAc.jpg
dKMeV1f.jpg
JAGxMDR.jpg

Tranquil Bay used to be Tranquil Cove until 3+ years into running the card I realized it was a name already in use
Also I am on the lookout for a suitably nice looking mountain for Lonely Peak as Noah Bradley is on my blacklist

Also honestly this is a small point, but "Is there an existing card that mostly does this job" isn't actually that bad. Being close to existing cards helps people who know grok them, and people who don't aren't going to be confused by the comparison anyways

TLDR you can pry these from my cold dead hands :p
BqHYixS.jpg
xROFuP3.png
RIN4bdO.jpg
YSv07PH.jpg
a5C4Ev5.png

I think shaving a mana or eliminating text is fine I just don't think of it as 'design' (more like development!) in the same way as some of the entirely new designs. I think "Fills the same role" is stricter than "mostly does its job" I mostly mean, don't make Brainstorm but for four, just use brainstorm. (unless peeking four *really* matters)

like if your cube needs 2 mana instant repentence then that's just as simple, necessary, and plausible as anything else we do. (and wizards could certainly print that at some point if power levels shift up or down a bit.)

similarly I have no compunction about
kajj83

Also I don't think {loneliness} is in the same category as overwhelming guilt here!

I'm always impressed by the quality of artwork the people around here seem to find for all kinds of cards. I think I'm decent myself but sometimes I struggle with a specific need - and then I come here to seek help! Today I have a tricky one and I'm curious if someone would be able to find a fitting piece. I want to make a one-sided version of:

75240bbc-adc7-48ff-9523-c79776d710d3.jpg
75240bbc-adc7-48ff-9523-c79776d710d3.jpg

I'm thinking of something like a huge mountain or cliff were some is pushed or thrown down, but I can't find anything. The format must also be fitting for these frames:

Bala Ged Recovery.jpg Glasspool Mimic.jpg

http://wallpaperswide.com/300_movie-wallpapers.html ?

I don't normally go for movie images but the style of this one was art like enough that you could maaaybe get away with it, I'd take the left part of the image showing people falling *off* a cliff. "Artist" credit probably goes to Larry Fong who was the head Cinematographer.

This is one of those instances where I wonder what the average concept art commission price would be from a general purpose Artstation / Pixiv / DeviantArt author. I suspect it's not 0$ but it's probably not a thousand dollars either. This is a fairly specific art request (Portrait Orientation, Particular Background, Particular Subject Matter, Preferably with a Ruddy Color Palette, etc.) but it's not so specific that you wouldn't be able to basically just accept whatever a commissioned piece was on the first draft and be happy.

edit: also Chris what's wrong with the current Lonely Peak? Artist credit doesn't say Noah and it's a nice Isolated shot (even if it's dual peaks). My suggestion is https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5Xq5J by Kris Lewis, but the art may be too vertical to frame properly for a magic piece. or https://www.deviantart.com/helenkei/art/The-Lonely-Mountain-474835639 by Alena Karavaeva (https://www.artstation.com/helenkei || https://www.deviantart.com/helenkei )

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Ah, I found out why:
Not peak, tranquil cove was noah:
jhs137r.jpg

I remember both these issues, don't remember both of them being solved at once :p

http://wallpaperswide.com/300_movie-wallpapers.html ?

I don't normally go for movie images but the style of this one was art like enough that you could maaaybe get away with it, I'd take the left part of the image showing people falling *off* a cliff. "Artist" credit probably goes to Larry Fong who was the head Cinematographer.

Man, I really appreciate your creativity. Sadly, this doesn't quite get there for my perfectionism.

I'm trying different angles now. But damn, you won't believe how hard it is to found something like a Giant/Ogre/Cyclops throwing someone in front of a mountain-ish landscape.

honestly bay is better artwork anyway. Only way it could be even better would be if you could somehow 'shop those little floating rocks into hedrons!