General Custom Cards: The Lab

But damn, you won't believe how hard it is to found something like a Giant/Ogre/Cyclops throwing someone in front of a mountain-ish landscape.

I did some searching on this before showing the 300 image, and I couldn't even find someone doing that suplex throw thing in a fantasy setting _at all_ that wasn't already a magic card!

Crazy right? I've had like 5 tries and now I have at least created one I like the look of at least. And the character looks kinda like Kazuul. It just misses a little bit cliffs.

Kazuul's Fury.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ravnic can you repeat for me why you want the flip cards in a custom version where the front card acts as both the spell and the land?

I try to simplify the logistic and most importantly try to minimize the amount of things I have to explain to newbies playing my cube. It is nowhere written on these cards how they work, and if I don't always tell a beginner how they work, they could think those transform and be confused, leading them to just not picking these.

DFCs in general are bit of a hassle anyway, as newbies sometimes just don't want to unsleeve them to look on the other side (during your first drafts, things can be pretty overwhelmig anyway), but these don't have something like "transform" written on them.

Also, I am not a fan of unsleeving cards during draft/play in general.

Today I have an ask for you I never had before. I am working on a rendered proxy for Whirlwind of Thought. But I still have plenty of space for flavor text in the box. So I thought, instead of using that boring story about narset, it would be super cool to have some real world literature/poetry as the flavor text. You know, like on these cards:

But I can't come up with anything fitting in english language. Maybe you guys can?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Today I have an ask for you I never had before. I am working on a rendered proxy for Whirlwind of Thought. But I still have plenty of space for flavor text in the box. So I thought, instead of using that boring story about narset, it would be super cool to have some real world literature/poetry as the flavor text. You know, like on these cards:

But I can't come up with anything fitting in english language. Maybe you guys can?
“Thought is free.”
William Shakespeare, The Tempest

“I long to hear the story of your life, which must captivate the ear strangely.”
William Shakespeare, [URL='https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1359590']The Tempest
[/URL]

“...and then, in dreaming, / The clouds methought would open and show riches / Ready to drop upon me, that when I waked / I cried to dream again.”

“Watch out he's winding the watch of his wit, by and by it will strike.”

Pi
ck any great literary work and google the title + "quotes" and you will surely find something that fits :)

"The possibilities of the art of combination are not infinite, but they tend to be frightful." --Jorge Luis Borgès
"Do you want to see what human eyes have never seen? Look at the moon. Do you want to hear what ears have never heard? Listen to the bird's cry. Do you want to touch what hands have never touched? Touch the earth. Verily I say that God is about to create the world." Borges once more
"The library held everything: but for every sensible line or accurate fact there would be millions of meaningless cacophonies, verbal farragoes, and babblings. Everything: but all the generations of mankind could pass before the dizzying shelves—shelves that obliterate the day and on which chaos lies—ever reward them with a tolerable page."JLB for the hat trick

"The possibilities of the art of combination are not infinite, but they tend to be frightful." --Jorge Luis Borgès
"Do you want to see what human eyes have never seen? Look at the moon. Do you want to hear what ears have never heard? Listen to the bird's cry. Do you want to touch what hands have never touched? Touch the earth. Verily I say that God is about to create the world." Borges once more
"The library held everything: but for every sensible line or accurate fact there would be millions of meaningless cacophonies, verbal farragoes, and babblings. Everything: but all the generations of mankind could pass before the dizzying shelves—shelves that obliterate the day and on which chaos lies—ever reward them with a tolerable page."JLB for the hat trick

jlb my man

So BR party is an archetype in ZNR limited, but the signpost uncommon is an equipment. (blue whites is spoils of adventure, 4uW ancestral +salve, that actually costs original price with a full party)

if you wanted a parallel effect but black red what two effects would you choose?

Quest Complete
4BR Instant
costs {1} less for each member in your party
Lightning Bolt
Dark Ritual

seems a little dumb and also less compelling (and the flavor is questionable?), but there’s been a lot of different 1 CMC effects in these colors over the years. So what would you pick?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So BR party is an archetype in ZNR limited, but the signpost uncommon is an equipment. (blue whites is spoils of adventure, 4uW ancestral +salve, that actually costs original price with a full party)

So what would you pick?
The designs I've seen suggest that you pay a reasonable price for the effect if you have one party member out, it becomes actively good when you have two, and borderline overpowered for the cost if you have three or four out. E.g., drawing 3 cards and gaining 3 life is meh at 6 mana, okay at 5 (i.e. this is what it would cost without the party mechanic), above rate at 4, bonkers at 3, and downright insane at 2. I have a design in mind that mirrors that. There are no samurai on Zendikar, so this needs different art, but I couldn't find a suitable piece in the 5 minutes I had. Anyway, here's my suggestion!

Back With a Vengeance.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
now that you’ve spelled out the mechanic like that, it’s.... totally a winmore mechanic, isn’t it?

Well, obviously, it requires a board position after all, and the better that board position is, the higher the reward :) Doesn't mean it's a bad mechanic though! Limited games naturally gravitate to creature fights, after all, and the way these scale give you a way to sequence more than one spell in a turn, which lets you capitalize on the board position.

Well, a lot of mechanics are winmore mechanics. You get something for doing something, which is either something you wanna do anyway (winmore mechanic) or not (often a bit narrow, hard to enable mechanic).

And the list of mechanics that are the opposite is probably pretty short. Fateful Hour, Dethrone, probably lifelink, maybe first strike - what else is better when you're behind? Maybe this design space should be explored more.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Given an appropriate environment, I'm not sure I'd call the ask of "control 1 creature" a win more mechanic.
The full party cards, sure. But they're pitched as such

Onderzeeboot: that's a cool card but I feel like it's one BR effect instead of a (throwback undercosted) Black Effect + a Red Effect. I think +2/0 and Haste might be the right choice for the red half of the card, Hero probably already has suitable targets for that since there's a party in play, is there a different effect we could give the other side?

Looted Trinkets
4BR
Instant
costs {1} less for each creature in your Party.
Target creature gains +3/+0 and Haste until end of turn. (Reckless Charge)
Target creature gains -1/-1 and Fear until end of turn. (Cursed Flesh)

Anything that is symmetrical removal of resources (i.e. Wrath) tends to be better when you're behind on that resource - the player who is ahead on board is unlikely to want to go back to parity. (Discard might be the one exception? is "Each Player Discards their hand" something you'd want to do when you were behind?)

Anything that benefits blocking is probably better when you are behind. (Reach is the Marquee mechanic here, does nothing if the creature is attacking.) I think Bushido also benefits being behind, outside of a set where 50% of the creatures have it (then it's just 'being better than creatures that don't have it')

Mechanical Space that could probably be explored: "If you lost life this turn" on instant speed effects (reverse spectacle), "if your opponent gained life" (Punishing Fires but as a mechanic), "if you have fewer X" (land tax but as a mechanic, etc.), something like "if your opponent controls a creature with the greatest power..." (reverse ferocious kind of), "if you have fewer cards in hand" (this maybe benefits going hellbent which isn't necessarily behind?). "if you have fewer cards in your library" (maybe benefits mostly self-mill?), "if a permanent you control left the battlefield last turn" (self-sacrifice?)

From Behind 2UWR
Sorcery - Trap
This costs {0} if you have fewer cards in hand and fewer permanents in play than target opponent. (lands are permanents)
Choose 3: you may choose the same effect multiple times.
* Draw a Card.
* Target Permanent you don't control phases out.
* Deal 2 Damage to each creature and planeswalker.

This is maybe broken? definitely a better card if you're behind on resources though.

edit: let's push the red effect harder.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Onderzeeboot: that's a cool card but I feel like it's one BR effect instead of a (throwback undercosted) Black Effect + a Red Effect. I think +2/0 and Haste might be the right choice for the red half of the card, Hero probably already has suitable targets for that since there's a party in play, is there a different effect we could give the other side?

It's literally Zombify plus Fame. I'm not really sure what you're looking for, and why you're looking for it. Spoils of Adventure is just a Kish of the Amesha variant with different numbers, I think you're reading too much into the Ancestral Recall + Healing Salve thing, honestly.

Re: From Behind. That's a horribly broken card in combo decks. Especially those of the sac-land variety. Also, you can play this in a BG deck with Wild Mongrel or another discard outlet. That seems really, really wrong. I do think there's some potential to reinvent traps. The cost reduction mechanic is a bit boring, what if we did something like this?

Comeback Stratagem.jpg Frightening Stratagem.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's hardly OP:

Torrent of Souls
{4}{B/R}
Sorcery
MM3
Return up to one target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield if {B} was spent to cast this spell. Creatures target player controls get +2/+0 and gain haste until end of turn if {R} was spent to cast this spell. (Do both if {B}{R} was spent.)

Ian Edward Ameling
213 (U)

the party thing was mostly just 'this seems like it'd be fun to think about' (the BR party uncommon from ZNR is fine but it's not really splashy in the way that the UW one is, at least for me.)

I think "Ancestral + Salve" with a full party is very intentional and that this isn't at all 'kiss of the amesha with different numbers'. What I liked about the design of Spoils was that it does two separate things that are throwbacky 1cmc effects we don't see very much anymore when you have a full party.

I like your design too don't get me wrong, I was just curious if there was a similar design that was more like "two separate throwbacky 1cmc effects we don't see very much anymore". But I missed that it was Zombify+Fame (maybe because I forget about Fame all the time) so I think it was unfair to say it *wasn't* two effects. What about the option to target a different creature with the haste? (I guess the issue there is templating since you can't just say "target creatures gets +2/0 and haste" if you want to enable targeting the recently animated creature with the effect.)

re: Ridiculous 3 color Trap card: I mean, I knew making it free is probably too much, but "good with combo" is probably going to be true of almost any "good from behind" effect that isn't a static combat ability (like reach). Combo decks are, after all, generally behind until they win.

Casting it without the colors was intentional, it's just Broken but I meant it more as a conversation starter than a finished design. (I also considered "Library of Alexandria but only if you have less stuff than Villain" but that didn't really walk in the direction of "big oneshot catchup effect" I wanted to explore).

Both of the Strategems are cool. I worry the first one doesn't do enough (Fateful Hour didn't get there very often for me for ex.)

I could imagine an ability like this being fun in limited:

Comback Guy {1}{W}
Creature
Comeback -- As log as an opponent controls at least three permanents more than you, ~ has first strike.
3/1

Comeback Trick {G}
Instant
Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
Comeback -- If an opponent controls at least three permanents more than you, that creature gets +3/+3 and gains hexproof until end of turn instead.

And so on. If the bonuses aren't too big, that would probably play better. Else games could drag on quite a bit.