General Custom Cards: The Lab

Just an experiment, but I'm not too happy with it. You know when a card I like mechanically is ugly (m15 rare frame is enough for me to say that), I either alter it or make a high quality proxy. When a card is very expensive I go straight with option B. But I try to give those cards something to give them a more or less unique look, because it's fun and some turn out very nice.

Scroll of Fate.jpg Lotus Cobra.jpg Bloodstained Mire.jpg Hidden Dragonslayer.1.jpg Mina and Denn.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ondezeeboot

https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/cbs.286/page-176#post-94963

Isn’t this ridiculous strong?
I had to cut mine for being too strong when it scried 3 and had no investigate.

It has been fine in my experience. Scry 2 is a lot less overbearing than scry 3, and 3 mana is typically quite a huge investment in the early to mid game for a card that doesn't affect the board. In fact, it hasn't been overwhelming at scry 3 + Invest either, but I did feel I needed to make the card weaker so it had a bigger chance to wheel to the players drafting the themes it is meant to support. I find it a bit hard to believe still that you found repeatable scry 3 to be too strong, seeing I based the card on Mystic Speculation, a card that features in only 0.6% of the cubes registered on CubeCobra, and felt underwhelming enough that it could use a boost (explaining the original scry 3, investigate version).

1. The problem is not ‘only’ that it is a repeatable scry 3 for 3. It is also that it can almost never be stopped even if it is countered, discarded or whatever. I believe Mystic Speculation is far less problematic than a Squee Scry 3 sorcery.

2. If you don’t think it’s ridiculous strong it must mean we have different opinions on how strong we want our custom repeatable spells to be.

I all formats I’ve run for several years there have been a banning system implemented. The loser bans a card after the game from the winner’s deck and the winner gets a new card (in various ways). My custom scry 3 for 3 with Squee effect was banned overwhelmingly often. Not only by me but by literally everyone. I had to do something so I cut it from the cube.

Has any of your players complained about the card or do they find it perfectly balanced? I am on the edge of reintroducing it with simply investigate. That would be cool :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I can't remember a single player complaining about the card. I don't believe it's significantly harder to interact with either, as Mystic Speculation can only be countered by counterspells and targeted discard, whereas my custom can be targeted by (sorcery speed) graveyard hate. With the investigate tacked on, it feels like a union of the (both) underwhelming Mystic Speculation and Whispers of the Muse. Five mana to scry 3 and draw a card once a turn has been perfectly fine from a power level stand point. There are enough decks that don't give you the time to abuse that card advantage engine, and decks that have just more efficient card draw engines (like Tatyova, Benthic Druid, or even simply Witching Well, which scries for a mere 1 mana and draws 2 for a total of five). If uncontested, Reevaluate can certainly generate a decent stream of card advantage, but you can cast it only once per turn, which properly restricts the amount of cards it draws you, plus it requires a significant, sorcery speed mana investment, which means there's a reasonable chance you have to choose with either generating card advantage or keeping control of the board / stack in the early and mid game.

Maybe the rest of our cube is so different that it runs away with the game more easily, or its Squee property is easier to abuse in your cube?

I honestly don’t know. It could also be the case that the players (including myself) are overreacting to the inevitability of the card and bans it without having enough cause.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Repeatable scry 3 is a lot stronger in formats with either a wide power band (where finding your bomb means you likely win) or with a strong combo element (where assembling the combo means you likely win). My cube is mostly synergy based with a relatively small power band, I don't think there even is a true combo in there, so repeatedly scrying for a bunch is good, but not gamebreaking.

The beacons are lit and Velrun once again calls for aid

I am looking for an artwork to use for a custom card for my Commander Cube. (Link to cube here: https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/5fa6f24700b06b0fe8462ebd)

Sometimes Wizards make an artwork they never use on an actual card because it is instead used for marketing reasons. Sometimes a fan makes an artwork that resembles Magic characters and places in a way that is 10 out of 10! I am looking for something like this. If that’s not possible then a quality artwork.

Inspiration could be from either of the following:
1. Khans of Tarkir block morph theme
2. Dominaria legendary creature theme
3. Throne of Eldraine OR Theros hero theme
4. Any of the Commander products with Commander theme

The artwork should have two creatures/shapes on it. This is a requirement but all the things I wrote before are not.

Here is the text for the custom card:

A name I haven’t thought of yet
5 mana (generic)
Sorcery
Put the top two Commanders from the Command pile onto the battlefield face down as 2/2 creatures. They have “When this creature dies, if you haven’t discovered any Commanders this game, discover this Commander. Then exile each face down permanent you control.”

To discover a card means to gain a new card from the deck box and put it into your sideboard.

So this spell will let the player gain an additional Commander card to their sideboard which can be used the next time the player sideboards. I want the artwork to depict the two unknown 2/2 creatures.

Can anyone help? <3

The beacons are lit and Velrun once again calls for aid

I am looking for an artwork to use for a custom card for my Commander Cube. (Link to cube here: https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/5fa6f24700b06b0fe8462ebd)

Can anyone help? <3
How about the cover for Legends: A Visual History?
71hJbjhXvqL.jpg

That’s a pretty good find!

I will try it out tomorrow.

Who can fill in the ?

Niv-Mizzet
Avacyn
Elesh Norn
Sisay ?
Brago
Gerrard ?
Goblin ?

The Legends artwork is brilliant but I can't use it because it doesn't scale how I want it to. But look at that art. That's how you do a Gatewatch resembling The Avengers! You take one important character from each storyline and add them together instead of letting the Gatewatch follow each other constantly.

The Ugin vs. Bolas artwork is perfect! It scales amazingly and has the morph/manifest colors which are perfect for this type of effect.

Potential Manifested.png

Let me know if you think I should change the name. I quite like it although it is a bit cheesy and nail-on-the-head kind of accurate.

In my Commander Cube the players initially gains three random commanders except they must always get at least one three-colored commander and they can never gain any 4 or 5-colored commanders. As the tournament progresses, they get to choose a new commander every time they lose and thus expanding their pool of available commanders. A commander that won a game is also replaced by a random new one. Thus the balance of the format. With this custom spell there is the opportunity to gain an additional commander per game which should be huge. But I value this spell to be quite low-power since the other 2/2 gets exiled the moment the first 2/2 dies.

I am hoping this spell will also create a mini game where both players have a way to affect which commander will be discovered. (To discover means to get a card from the pool of unexplored cards and add it into your sideboard)

This is the only card in the cube that lets players discover commanders outside the rules that dictate the loser gets to choose a new one.

Link to the list of Commanders in the cube:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/5fa71b2e00b06b0fe8484510

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Remember when I was trying to figure out how to do a Hearthstone cube? I think I sort of figured out how I want to do it. Obviously it has to have quite a few custom rules, but this morning, while half asleep, I figured there are 10 classes now that Demon Hunter has been released, and if I frame every class as a particular color pair, I can create quite the classical color architecture for a cube. The only problem is that relying on standard mana (i.e. making the Hearthstone Fireball spell ar {U}{R} or {U/R} spell if Mage is classified as {U/R}) means you either end up with a lot of unplayable cards if you pick the gold casting cost option (only Mage can cast {U}{R}), or too few distinctions between classes if you pick the hybrid casting cost options (because then Fireball is playable for, say, {B/R} Warlock and {W/U} Paladin as well). Instead I opted to go with a class tag, and allow players to play up to two classes, one defined by their Hero, and one of their choice.

Uther Lightbringer.jpg Silver Hand Recruit.jpg

Malfurion Stormrage.jpg BEEEES.jpg Bee.jpg

Like I said, there's going to be a bunch of custom rules, like damage being permanent, having a starting and maximum life total of 30, the mana progression (one basic land from outside the game each turn until you control 10), having positioning of your creatures matter, rules of attacking, etc, but for the first time I have the feeling this is something that could actually be playable and work in card form.

Is it going to be drafted? (I assume yes since you mentioned the pick problems)
For how many players?

Care to upload the other 8 heroes so we can see color pairings?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is it going to be drafted? (I assume yes since you mentioned the pick problems)
For how many players?

Care to upload the other 8 heroes so we can see color pairings?

Yes, the idea is that this is draftable for up to 8 players. I did assign a color pair to each hero, but the color pairings are mostly cosmetic. They do signal a loose mapping of Hearthstone's classes onto Magic's color pie, but the main goal is to have 10 identifyable frames while drafting. As you can see with the BEEEES!!! example above, cards don't actually have a casting cost. Instead they have a class supertype, and each Hero can only cast spells of their own class and one class of their choice.

In practice, I think I want to start with drafting the heroes, borrowing the mechanic for drafting characters from the game Citadels. In short, you start with removing one hero from the hero pack facedown, then removing a number of them faceup depending on the number of players in the draft, in such a way that the last player to draft a hero always has two heroes to choose from. This way, no player can deduce exactly what hero the other players have drafted. Then you draft like normal, though maybe the pack size needs to be adjusted. After drafting you construct a deck of 30 (nonland) cards (hence the potential pack size issue), using neutral creatures, cards from your class, and cards from one other class of your choice. The final part is where this cube differs from Hearthstone, but it is required to make the cube draftable. Not only does it ensure that each card in the draft can potentially be played, it also makes it so drafters compete for class cards, and it makes the draft flexible, because you can pivot to another secondary class if you notice you are being cut from a particular class you were trying to move into.

PS. I can upload the other heroes at a later time, but they all follow the same principle, and they each have their respective Hearthstone power.

I have a suggestion but it might not be what you’re looking for so feel free to discard the idea

Do it like Arena

The player who won last tournament drafts first

A: The first player get three random classes to pick from.
B1: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B2: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B3: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B4: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B5: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B6: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B7: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B8: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B9: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B10: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B11: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B12: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B13: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B14: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B15: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B16: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B17: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B18: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B19: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B20: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B21: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B22: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B23: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B24: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B25: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B26: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B27: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B28: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B29: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.
B30: The player gets three random cards available to that class to choose from.

I would let everyone the other player spectate the process and comment on the player’s choices which will be a fun part of the tournament. Just like in the boardgame Dominion, people will have a lot to talk about afterwards on how they could have made different choices.

In this way you do not have to allow dual classes but can have everyone stay in nature of Hearthstone.

There are plenty of ways to do the logistics if you choose to go down this route.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I was specifically looking how to create a draftable Hearthstone cube though, not trying to emulate Arena. I can already do that in Hearthstone itself :) (Though admittedly not against friends.) Also, if you have a lot of players, this is going to take quite a while to get through, that's 8 x 30 = 240 separate picks with a full table instead of 45-ish simultaneous picks. Granted, they're easier picks, because you only have to choose from 3, but it's really not what I'm looking for.

Edit 2: I posted the other 8 heroes, but then realized I needed to think a bit more about their color identities. I had Thrall as {G/U}, but Shamans have direct damage, so that didn't quite feel right. Druid is actually probably more suited as that color, since it has ramp and draw spells gallore. Of course druids also have direct damage to creatures... That does feel white... Going to think about it some more later. Back to work now though :D

whats magic the gathering anyway

Steve, Sentient Lotus {0}
Legendary Planeswalker - Steve
+1: Scry 1.
-3: Add three mana of any one color.

Aaaa, Respected Ancestor {U}
Legendary Planeswalker - Aaaa
+1: Target permanent becomes blue until end of turn.
-4: Target player draws three cards.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I was specifically looking how to create a draftable Hearthstone cube though, not trying to emulate Arena. I can already do that in Hearthstone itself :) (Though admittedly not against friends.) Also, if you have a lot of players, this is going to take quite a while to get through, that's 8 x 30 = 240 separate picks with a full table instead of 45-ish simultaneous picks. Granted, they're easier picks, because you only have to choose from 3, but it's really not what I'm looking for.

Edit 2: I posted the other 8 heroes, but then realized I needed to think a bit more about their color identities. I had Thrall as {G/U}, but Shamans have direct damage, so that didn't quite feel right. Druid is actually probably more suited as that color, since it has ramp and draw spells gallore. Of course druids also have direct damage to creatures... That does feel white... Going to think about it some more later. Back to work now though :D

Hearthstone has a more casual relationship with burn though, and no class is truely without removal. I'd just do what feels right given how not magic color pie this is.

Hell, frostbolt was in my cube as a white card for years!

It Will Eat Your Prison {B}{R}{G}{W}
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose one that hasn’t been chosen —
• Each player sacrifices an artifact.
• Each player sacrifices a creature.
• Each player sacrifices an enchantment.
• Each player sacrifices a land.
• Each player sacrifices a planeswalker.