General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's a cool design, but at such a difficult casting cost, I'ld expect something better than a slow, symmetrical edict effect. You could basically cut two colors and make this 2WB or 2BG.

I don't like planeswalkers but I like the design. The interaction between the +1 and the later reanimate is a nice push-your-luck that wouldn't be present without it being a PW.

I'd have probably just tried 2BB - sorcery - morbid: costs 1 less; return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield. and been disappointed with how boring it was.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Not to put words in your mouth, but I find most people hate the power level of walkers, not the concept.

On that note, one of the things not power level related that I do find frustrating about walkers: 3cc walkers that defend themselves really well like this one
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar's ult and this one are certainly divergent, but it's still a pain

Power level is always a concern with repeatable effects that don't cost mana, sure.

But I mostly don't like the concept, power level isn't my issue per se. They're a 'choose one per turn' effect, which would easily be concepted (and had previously been so) as enchantments or artifacts. (e.g. Trading Post is basically a planeswalker, so are any of the various artifacts that use charge counters to keep track of how often you can use an ability etc.)

I'd rather have seen enchantment and artifact removal made more widespread and the dynamic of adding/removing enchantments and artifacts to the board made more central instead. One of the big reasons that Wizards did 'enchantment' block theros as mostly enchantment creatures is partly because creatures are popular, but also because if they're *not* creatures, only white and green (blue temporarily) can interact with them after they're on the table.

Also there's a ton of rules baggage that is just never making it onto the card, so I find them easier to just exclude entirely even when I see good designs. That's more a limitation of my usual playgroup (we drink while playing and there are not 8 of us who regularly play _magic_, most of the drafters I play with are board gamers who really want cards to do what they say without needing a lot of rules knowledge, which has me making a lot of complexity management decisions that others get to make differently: like no DFCs.)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I could easily reflavor this to a 3 cmc saga that etb with a lore counter on it if a creature died this turn, effectively skipping the first chapter. Or simply an enchantment. Like...

Grafdigger's Scheme {1}{B}{B}
Enchantment
Morbid -- Grafdigger's Scheme enters the battlefield with a corpse counter on it if a creature died this turn.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a corpse counter on Grafdigger's Scheme, then mill two cards.
Sacrifice Grafdigger's Scheme: Return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control. Activate this ability only if there's a corpse counter on Grafdigger's Scheme and only any time you could cast a sorcery.

I like the idea, I think a natural design might be something like this:

2BB

Morbid - CARDNAME enters play with one additional loyalty counter if a creature died this turn

+1 Target player discards a card
-3 Return target card from a graveyard to play under your control

(3) Starting Loyalty

disclaimer: random meta-design musings.

onderzeeboot: I think the planeswalker version works and will do good things, and the "enchantment" version is probably more powerful than the planeswalker anyway since it has fewer downsides. (e.g. a 1BB oversold cemetery type effect that mills if it can't hit and ETBs them if it can hit and is only interactable by WG instead of by everyone is probably too good.) But part of what makes it too good is that unlike Creatures and Planeswalkers which every color has interaction for, Enchantments are in the 'special category' where only some colors get interaction.

If every color had good, every standard season frequency, interaction for enchantments (or lands, or artifacts) we could see the utility of these card types pushed like we see creatures and planeswalkers pushed, and I think the game would be better for it.

Wizards (or at least Rosewater) has talked about why they didn't go in this direction (summary is basically "creature combat market tests better") which is why the modern game is increasingly creature-centric; and I think that's a key part of why we have planeswalkers today - they are the same kinds of repeatable effects we used to see exclusively on artifacts and enchantments, but now they can be interacted with by creatures.

Also I got into magic when the marketing material was the old school *you're* the planeswalker, just like Urza! and the idea that I have to rely on some kind of ally planeswalker who I have to protect (instead of doing it myself by conjuring enchantments or what have you) isn't as appealing from a power fantasy perspective!

I'm still working on some one-sided versions of the z3ndikar mdfc lands. But I have a really hard time finding some art for one of them.

I basically need an artwork of a spell or a spellcast in front of something like a flooded ruin. And on top of all that it has to fit my frame, which is full art, but also has quite a bit covere by the slightly higher text box.

Glasspool Mimic.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm still working on some one-sided versions of the z3ndikar mdfc lands. But I have a really hard time finding some art for one of them.

I basically need an artwork of a spell or a spellcast in front of something like a flooded ruin. And on top of all that it has to fit my frame, which is full art, but also has quite a bit covere by the slightly higher text box.

Maybe one of these?
https://www.deviantart.com/nevs28/art/Stillness-Deep-743745733
https://www.deviantart.com/aliceyuric/art/In-mirror-reflection-712315360

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Wait, for some reason I was looking for art for Glasspool Mimic! This might be an option for Jwari Disruption?

https://www.deviantart.com/ascending-storm/art/Beware-The-Weight-Of-The-World-611912590

This one's probably the wrong orientation, but the subject works, I think:

https://www.deviantart.com/rogierb/art/Card-Game-Tokens-MKM-Series-2020-Merfolk-833288543

Would you guys say this artwork passes for a magic card? (I ould've preferred some zendikari people hunting a beast in the steppe or something but impossible to find it).

Kabira Takedown.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Surely I'm not the only one who's dissatisfied with the lack of a simple creature between these two power levels:
Fire Imp, Flametongue Kavu.

Also, I wish they would reprint Fire Imp with up to date rules text. It's only been 24 years since they first printed it.

I'll also mention Sparkmage Apprentice, Blisterstick Shaman, Corrupt Eunuchs, Goblin Commando. Those are simple designs that can hit a creature, but none of them fits the power level I'm looking for. I think what I'd like is something like this:
3R creature, 2/2, ETB deal 2 damage to target creature or player. I could also go for a 5 mana, 3/2 creature that deals 2 damage.
EDIT: now I realize I just typed out something that's almost like Corrupt Eunuchs, and upon reflection I'd want it to be a bit stronger than that. I can't quite decide what stats I'd want. Also, did you know Corrupt Eunuchs costs $9?

Dipping into creatures with conditions or other abilities, we have Basalt Ravager, Thundering Sparkmage, Warfire Javelineer, Firefist Adept, Blisterstick Shaman, Ghitu Slinger, Outrage Shaman, and Volley Veteran. Some of those are getting close to the mark, but I wish they'd just print a couple of the obvious designs that fall in the general power band of Fire Imp.

Even a red Skeleton Archer would be handy. I like that card since the ETB ability is pretty modest compared to the creature's size. I prefer that over something like a 1/1 creature that deals 3 damage when it enters play since it doesn't warp the game around its ETB effect.

Red creatures with simple ETB damage effects are dead simple to design, and I find it surprising that they haven't printed more of the possible number combinations after all these years.

Not much to add besides 1) you're dang right, but this is something I never knew I wanted until you mentioned it and 2) you list Goblin Commando twice. Did you mean to, or is there another creature you wanted?

Even a red Skeleton Archer would be handy. I like that card since the ETB ability is pretty modest compared to the creature's size. I prefer that over something like a 1/1 creature that deals 3 damage when it enters play since it doesn't warp the game around its ETB effect.

I know you've already mentioned it, but its worst case is pretty close to a Skeleton Archer. I'm trying it out in my cube, and considering how good the card is in Kaldheim, I expect it to be a good low power replacement for Flametongue Kavu.

I've also been waiting for the Fire Imp reprint, exact or not, for a long time :(

I know you've already mentioned it, but its worst case is pretty close to a Skeleton Archer. I'm trying it out in my cube, and considering how good the card is in Kaldheim, I expect it to be a good low power replacement for Flametongue Kavu.

I've also been waiting for the Fire Imp reprint, exact or not, for a long time :(

Agreed, this one seems like a half decent card. I forgot to include that in the list. It'll deal 2 damage often enough to be interesting.

Goblin Commando wasn't meant to be in there twice - I think I had it mixed up with Volley Veteran in my head and didn't realize the latter was also already in the list.

Bonus: Burning Sun's Avatar isn't a half bad card. Triple red is a bummer, but its power level is in a nice range for me.

Big dump of custom lands. The idea here is pretty simple: in the average draft, you wind up making use of 30 cards out of your 45, maximum. One way to change that is by including utility lands. However, a lot of utility lands are a) weak b) boring c) multicolor (which is self-defeating because that makes them a lot less likely to be played) or d) generic (c'mon, let's do something other than shaking up combat). There are some great ones already, but I wanted to try my hand at making a bunch that would be pretty attractive and kind of wonky. Are any of these obviously broken? Are they interesting? I've designed approximately 1.5 cards before this and no lands. There are a couple of changes that I've been thinking of including (ex. the Eldraine "three lands of its type" rider for being untapped, having the ability only trigger when it comes into play untapped), but this is generally what I've liked as a first pass because it doesn't penalize aggro decks.

Names are obviously pending, as I don't want to assign them until the actual design is halfway decent.

Black Utility Land 1.pngBlack Utility Land 2.pngBlack Utility Land 3.pngBlack Utility Land 4.pngBlue Utility Land 1.pngBlue Utility Land 2.pngBlue Utility Land 3.pngBlue Utility Land 4.pngWhite Utility Land 1.pngWhite Utility Land 2.png

Part 1 of 2 b/c of upload limit. Sorry for size.

Part 2 of 2White Utility Land 3.pngWhite Utility Land 4.pngGreen Utility Land 1.pngGreen Utility Land 2.pngGreen Utility Land 3.pngGreen Utility Land 4.pngRed Utility Land 1.pngRed Utility Land 2.pngRed Utility Land 3.pngRed Utility Land 4.png

Edit: There was supposed to be actual text on Red Utility Land #4 reading "If you win the flip, deal 1 damage to target opponent. If you lose the flip, deal 1 damage to yourself." I might errata this one to no flipping and "Deal 1 damage to yourself and to target opponent." Although it would be very funny to run this as written + Chance Encounter and try to make that a combo deck...
Also, I realize that free discard on RUL#1 is dangerous.