General Custom Cards: The Lab

We used to run a lot of customs in my cube in 2012 but we've slowly switched away from them because even when they're perfectly done, they don't speak to a broader audience. I never had issues with hosting two 8-man drafts simultanously but I still wish to improve my cube. I am confident that all of you feel the same way. Even when things are fine, we still strive for better.

Now we're almost down to strictly only 'finishing cycles' custom cards. Here is a cycle Wizards haven't finished (for obvious reasons) and it's part of the low-powered cards my players begin the tournament with:

For this cycle I brought in my friend who is part of the team behind the original 2012 cube. He was tasked with finding
- Names for the 5 ally Colleges
- Pictures for the 5 ally Campus
- Write the flavor text for the 5 ally Campus
Basically everything

I evaluated the cards and made micro changes in coorporation with him.
Now the cards have arrived at the second round of peer review. This is you. Can you please comment on the College names, Campus pictures and flavor texts?

Chesslea Campus.pngDoomheart Campus.pngIvorymagi Campus.pngOnyxwrits Campus.pngSolarmare Campus.png

Criticism doesn't have to be constructive but is allowed. Anything goes for this conversation. The purpose is to create the best possible five finished products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall a really solid set of custom campuses.

The names sound good to me except maybe "chesslea". hard for me to say because my Brain wants to say "Chelsea" like the first name. Maybe it's a reference I don't understand? "Onyxwrits" also sounds a little better to me as "Onyxwrit" without the "s" at the end

The art of Ivorymagi and OnyxWrit(s) aren't super evocative of campuses. Nice artworks, but not entirely "campus-y" for me. the rest I like, especially the Chesslea one.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The first thing that catches my eye is that none of the flavor texts match the pattern set forward by the existing cycle: Mage students [some snappy, short variation of "interested in x"] choose [college name], the college of [college magic specialty]. I am going to suggest new flavor text for all of these that follow the same pattern. I tried to stay close to the idea put forward in your friend's flavor texts in spirit, but I found their choice of words wasn't really suited to the pattern caused me to deviate from their exact choice of words most of the time.

Chesslea: I really like the name and art. (Edit: Unlike sigh, my brain doesn't default this to Chelsea.) I feel the flavor text could be worded in a more positive light though. Adapting it to the existing pattern, maybe something like: Mage-students devoted to serving their communities with small and unassuming tricks choose Chesslea, the college of hedge magic."

Doomheart: I like the name, but the art has a downward pointing pentagram in it that WotC would avoid nowadays (because it has real world connotations that not everyone agrees with). I personally would look for new art (being a Christian and all), but if everyone in your playgroup is fine with pagan imagery, uh, who am I to tell you to change it. (Yes, I know pagan imagery isn't "evil" by default, but it's a "thing" for at least a relevantly large minority.) There is some other art available, this one by Tsabo6 for example. Do note that this artist does not allow the use of their art without permission! If you want something more lovecraftian, there's this one, though that might feel more {U/B} from the colors used. On to the flavor text: Mage-students looking for the best deal choose Doomheart, the college of pact magic.

Ivorymagi: Honestly, I don't like the name. I feel it doesn't flow off the tongue well, and "college of Ivorymagi" doesn't sound right to me either. Maybe Proudloft? I also think the art is dark, maybe this is a nice alternative: art link? Flavor text time! Mage-students intrigued by the fabric of magic itself choose Proudloft, the college of arcanology.

Onyxwrits: This name feels a bit awkward, like it's not really a proper name? It's probably the plural wits used at the end. (Edit: I see sigh mentioned this as well while I was typing this.) It doesn't help that we just had Liliana disguised as Professor Onyx in Strixhaven itself, clearly not part of school Onyxwrits. If you insist on using the same suffix, I would personally prefer using the singular '-writ'. In any case I would replace Onyx with another word for dark. Maybe Darkwrit is already fine, Gloomwrit and Duskwrit are other options I like. However, I have another suggestion, that takes into account the great artwork your friend found! The whole picture evokes a sort of dreamy landscape where reality can be rewritten, ending in a vortex at the top of the campus tower. You know what's a cool single syllable synonym for vortex? Whorl! I really dig the sound of Gloomwhorl to be honest. Maybe I'm just a sucker for two syllable names. Let's get to the flavor text rewrite! Mage-students dreaming of a world that bends to their will choose Gloomwhorl, the college of somnomancy.

Solarmare: This is a nice name, but it doesn't really feel {R/G}, more {R/W} or {G/W}. Moreover, it doesn't fit the chosen artwork. I'ld once again keep the excellent artwork, but look for another name. Maybe something reflecting the rising structures, they evoke something monk-like in me. Maybe we can marry art through flavor text? Rootspire (hey! I broke the two syllable curse!) kind of reflects the art, and then for flavor text you can go: Mage-students seeking to harness the arcane power within choose Rootspire, the college of ki.

Alright, I spent enough time on this. Time to go to bed! :oops:

Onyxwrits: This name feels a bit awkward, like it's not really a proper name? It's probably the plural wits used at the end
I like the name Onyxwrits, but I agree with you that the Plural "writs" is not good. I would change it to Onyxwrit, Onyxwright, or Onyxwrought, personally.

I like the other names you came up with, especially Rootspire!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also also, I am totally working some of these names and images into my upcoming D&D campaign.

The names sound good to me except maybe "chesslea". hard for me to say because my Brain wants to say "Chelsea" like the first name.
Your comment made me think of the London district Chelsea, which than made me think of bastardizing other place names, adding or removing a letter to throw people off, to create new place names for my D&D campaign. I can't believe I never thought of that, because you can get some good place names this way. E.g. Dolonne (London + e), Cresthame (Manchester - n), Gasglow (Glasgow, obviously), Adlebreen (Aberdeen + l).

Update

I have read Sigh's, Onde's and Train's comments. I turned them to my friend and we made some changes.

So far we have

Doomheart Campus.png

Art could also be for an Orzhov-colored land but we like it like this.

Motto: "Power within, unfolds without."
They deal in blood magic and deal with the devils. They make sacrifices to unholy gods in to rise above in this lifetime.
People trait: Reckless, ambitious, short-sighted (Only care about this lifetime and sometimes not even that.)

--------------------

Onyxwrit Campus.png

"What if your reality isn't real?"
Dreamshapers, illusions and mindtricksters. They are experts in trapping others in dream stasis or can turn dreams into nightmares.
Onyxwrit is connected to Liliana (Professor Onyx) in a way we still don't know. Maybe she doesn't even know it herself yet. She could have an ulterior motive or have been cheated into believing things she shouldn't.
Onyxwrit cares about rewriting stories and history.

Sorcery spell example: Exile target creature. Its controller adds an amount of {c} equal to that spell’s mana value. This mana is not lost as steps and phases end.

--------------------

Proudloft Campus.png

Proudloft is always in search of the ultimate, perfect spell. A mythical spell no one has witnessed or cast yet but they know it's out there. Or maybe it hasn't been thought of yet. The mythos is that there is a perfect sub-version of that perfect spell for every individual.
College trait: Uses lots of tempo plays like bounce, counterspells and tap effects.
People traid: Proud. Love to look down on the world from above but not because they think they are better than everyone else. But because they are always in search of their true spell and the view from above makes them wonder. Hope and knowledge is a common trait.

While we're waiting for the last two Colleges to finish, I wanted to also complete the Ikoria Triomes. I know many of you have already done this. Feel free to share how yours turned out. In fact, please share them :)

Bant Triome.pngEsper Triome.pngGrixis Triome.pngJund Triome.pngNaya Triome.png

You'll notice everything is stolen. Design stolen from Ikoria's Triome. Art stolen from planes and panorama. Flavor stolen text from Panorama.

How do we feel about this?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I actually took the opposite approach.
One of my great regrets is that I'm never going to have art that will actually complete the alt art ones:
Eg:
1619969297953.png

Jason's got a good point in that I have to google which one is which every time, but that is mostly an issue when I'm patching these in and out, whereas looking at these in a pack or during gameplay they usually get shortcutted over.
I went with "on theme" names only so that they'd look better together as a set of 10

Here's my other 5
Cloistered Triome.pngDeepsea Triome.pngScenic Triome.pngUntamed Triome.pngViolent Triome.png

Damn Chris, those are good too!

Did you want to make the custom promo versions because the cycle you already own are also the promo version?

I actually run duplicate Triomes (so 10 Triomes). The normal ones and the promo ones. And this is before adding any custom ones from Alara. I am now debating if I should add duplicate of the custom Alara ones or should make a whole round of 5 extra custom Alara promo ones. (My cube is gigantic and having 20 triomes is not too many, lol)

Chris I find it funny that your Jund triome shares a prefix name with Violent Ultimatum :p

I figured you'd catch that :p

I love the lock of the alt ones, so I went with those.

You don't unify the arts?

Whenever I run duplicates in my cube I always go for different art and/or frame and/or flavor text. I want the cards to look different.

Same reason why I don’t have 35 Unhinged Basic land of each Basic land type but instead have tons of different full art ones.

Man I really hope Wizards take us back to the reborn Alara or some other plane to complete the cycle so I can ditch the customs. I just don’t see that happening anytime soon since it needs to be a set that is focused on 3-colored factions that are all ally-colored and with a cycling mechanic.

@Chris Taylor and @Onderzeeboot do you think you could help finding some good artwork for my ‘promo’ custom full art versions of the Alara Triomes? I need a picture that is good for full art for Bant, Esper, Grixis, Jund & Naya.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
@Chris Taylor and @Onderzeeboot do you think you could help finding some good artwork for my ‘promo’ custom full art versions of the Alara Triomes? I need a picture that is good for full art for Bant, Esper, Grixis, Jund & Naya.
I actually use the same Naya art as you! Using the Planechase art is super reasonable I feel, since these never appeared on an actual normal Magic card anyway, and they represent the shards very well. That covers only four of the five shards, however, because unfortunately Esper didn't get it's own Planeschase card! This was a problem for me as well, since I do run Esper Triome. I ended up picking existing basic land art from a 2008 MtGO online promo cycle that most players will probably be unfamiliar with anyway :)

Scryfall link
Helpful mtgs link with bigger artworks attached

Luckily the Esper basic Island is a beautiful piece of art that actually fits a multicolor land, unlike the other four pieces in this cycle ;)

Using the Planechase art is super reasonable I feel, since these never appeared on an actual normal Magic card anyway, and they represent the shards very well. That covers only four of the five shards, however, because unfortunately Esper didn't get it's own Planeschase card!

This was a problem for me too. That's why I was wondering if you guys thought it was stupid to use a Panorama art from Esper Panorama because I haven't been able to find any good fan art of Esper. Now that I actually want doubles (breaking singleton), my troubles are also doubled :)

I ended up picking existing basic land art from a 2008 MtGO online promo cycle that most players will probably be unfamiliar with anyway :)

Luckily the Esper basic Island is a beautiful piece of art that actually fits a multicolor land, unlike the other four pieces in this cycle ;)

It's interesting to use the promo arts! Very good memory! I had completely forgotten about those.

It doesn't look like neither the Planechase art or the John Avon promo art are scaled proper for full art cards though. Any good artworks out there you think would suit the 'tall/full art' custom cards?

Edit: Except for Jund. Jund Planechase art might actually work for full art promo. Naya could do as well but it isn't perfect.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This was a problem for me too. That's why I was wondering if you guys thought it was stupid to use a Panorama art from Esper Panorama because I haven't been able to find any good fan art of Esper. Now that I actually want doubles (breaking singleton), my troubles are also doubled :)

It's interesting to use the promo arts! Very good memory! I had completely forgotten about those.

It doesn't look like neither the Planechase art or the John Avon promo art are scaled proper for full art cards though. Any good artworks out there you think would suit the 'tall/full art' custom cards?
That's a tough question. I never really look for promo art. I would think the Planechase arts work reasonable well for that if you can find decent resolution picks though? For Esper there's also this art that's actually never been used. It might fit? Link.

That's a tough question. I never really look for promo art. I would think the Planechase arts work reasonable well for that if you can find decent resolution picks though? For Esper there's also this art that's actually never been used. It might fit? Link.

I edited a comment above right as you were quoting me :p Jund and Naya could go from the Planechase art but it's not amazing. Here is how it is scaled on the new Esper variant art.

Esper Triome Promo.pngJund Triome Promo.pngNaya Triome Promo.png