General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I edited a comment above right as you were quoting me :p Jund and Naya could go from the Planechase art but it's not amazing. Here is how it is scaled on the new Esper variant art.
That Esper Triome looks quite nice, the style even fits :) Maybe you already found these arts, but...

Jund, Bant, Naya, Grixis (worst resolution of the bunch by far). For the Grixis Swamp, the link to the mtgs forum is the best resolution I could find as well.

Anyways if we don't find five super strong Alara Shard artworks that could go into a tall card like the promo variant, I'm just gonna double down on the ally custom Triomes.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't understand. Those pictures of the official Planechase pictures that I've been using this entire time and also uploaded to this thread. It's the exact same pictures in the exact same resolution.

It doesn't look like neither the Planechase art or the John Avon promo art are scaled proper for full art cards though. Any good artworks out there you think would suit the 'tall/full art' custom cards?
My bad, I thought you had problems with the resolution when you said they didn't scale properly to full art cards, so I tried to find the best available resolutions of the art you used.

The Strixhaven colleges focus on real-world subjects studied from a magical perspective, with academic tensions that reflect the colour pair. I suggest:
{W/U} Law school (maybe too close to Azorius). Spirit of the law (white) vs letter of the law (blue).
{U/B} Philosophy. Knowledge for its own sake (blue) vs refuting your opponent (black).
{B/R} Physical education. Playing to win (black) vs playing for fun (red).
{R/G} Geography. Shaping the world (red) vs studying it as you find it (green).
{G/W} Medical school. Alternative medicine (green) vs regulated medicine (white).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
@Onderzeeboot Oh.. Thanks :) I meant the scale is not a 'tall' picture that fits a tall template.

In the future, if you find some good Shard arts, please hook me up :)
I fear all the available Alara art is already out there, so there isn't much more to be found. Savage Lands does have a 2011 FNM alternate art promo you could steal maybe. Scryfall link & art link.

Other than that there's this article with some unusable concept art (including the Island by Zoltan & Gabor that we have a better link for), and there's the Planeswalker's Guide to Alara that is long out of print that might, maybe, contain some useful otherwise unpublished artwork if you can find a copy?

What hole are you looking to fill in removal? Specifically the Oblivion Ring slot(s)? White already has some pretty good selections for spell removal. In that three slot there's something like

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm specifically looking to replace two pacifisms and an oblivion ring, and the hope is that I can put "proliferate" on one of them
(Nothing has ever captured the versatility of Volt Charge)
honestly though, this is the great thing about custom cards: if an effect is good I can sculpt it to the level I need

Like I loooooove this card:

It plays amazingly, but it's not that great, so I run it at 1w instant:
016 - Overwhelming Guilt.jpg

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
What about a white-black spell that has you add a +1/+1 counter to a creature and a -1/-1 to another target creature, and then proliferates.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Who has good ideas for white removal spells that are instants or sorceries
I'm trying to lean away from oblivion ring style effects, but I'm not sure what I want to replace them
1W; Instant; Put target attacking or blocking creature on top of its owner's library.
1W; Instant; Replicate 1W, Target player sacrifices an attacking or blocking creature.
W; Instant; For each player, exile target creature that player controls.
1W; Instant; For each player, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature that player controls. Proliferate. (Flavor it as something Phyrexian to justify the color pie break, see Choking Fumes and Gore Vessel.)
W; Instant; Prevent all damage target creature would deal this turn. Detain it.
W; Instant; Target creature has base power 0 until end of turn. Rebound.
2W; Instant; Put target creature or creature spell on top of its owner's library.
1W; Instant; Escalate--Tap an untapped creature you control // Choose one or more -- // * Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature // * Proliferate // * Destroy target creature if it's power is 4 or more

lol :) I can live with Bolas having 5 fingers, Elesh Norn having small boobs and Liliana being stoked in flames even though neither is accurate according to the real mtg story :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
wow Velrun Thanks! Damn you did all the work for me
That's amazing

Okay as tribute I post this:
Quiet.png
(I wanted it to be called hush but it's taken and this is the kind of card that deserves a single word evocative name I think)
I'm not even sure I'm using it I just love the design