General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think it's a bit crowded with five options, and the last option doesn't work as worded because the spell can target anything, and not just players. I would simply drop the last option, wither plays differently, but also "manages" a big opposing threat. I also wonder if this works, since abilities are usually executed in order. This might first deal 3 damage, then gain wither as written. Not quite sure. Did we have a modal spell like this that sticks on passive abilities to the instant or sorcery itself? Maybe this needs an "As you cast Burninate, choose one" for the "can't be countered" to work as intended at all.

Edit: Also, I guess just writing "wither" doesn't work. It should be "Burninate has wither."

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Absolutely. The plan (such as it is) is to narrow this down to a solid group of ideas.
Maybe make it silver border and call it "Build a bolt"

What I'm actually probably adding to my cube is this:
Hatefire.png
It loses out on smoothing, but I can live with that, put that effect elsewhere.

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
"has trample" should be "gains trample"
See: Engineered Might
I think the technical wording "Excess damage is dealt to that creature’s controller instead." a la Flame Spill but that's less cool and it's silver border already.
Should I care if this works? It gaining trample on resolution?
Gains does sound better though
"can't be countered by spells or abilities." should be "This spell can't be countered."
See Supreme Verdict
This was supposed to be a distinction of targeting: targeted spells can still be countered by the game rules if the target becomes illegal (either by not existing or gaining hexproof, for eg), thus my wording.
But apparently they've changed it?
Abrupt Decay's oracle text just reads "Can't be countered" apparently. Weird.

Today I learned

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I thought you can't write "that creature", since BaB deals damage to "any target", but take a look at Scorching Lava!

"Scorching Lava deals 2 damage to any target. If this spell was kicked, that creature can’t be regenerated this turn and if it would die this turn, exile it instead."

I'm very surprised that's the actual factual Oracle wording!

Also, "If you cast this spell during your main phase, choose one —".

Also also, the first mode literally doesn't work, because you give BaB "can't be countered" on resolution, which doesn't do you much good if your opponent counters BaB before it can resolve :p

Also also also, same for the trample. I mentioned that before, but in the current order, the spell first deals 3 damage, then gains trample. That means it doesn't do at all what you want it to.

Suggested wording:

As you cast Build a Bolt, choose one —
* BaB can't be countered.
* Creatures your opponents control lose indestructible and can't gain indestructible until end of turn.
* When BaB deals damage (to a creature) this turn, do X

Last edited:
I thought you can't write "that creature", since BaB deals damage to "any target", but take a look at Scorching Lava!

"Scorching Lava deals 2 damage to any target. If this spell was kicked, that creature can’t be regenerated this turn and if it would die this turn, exile it instead."

I'm very surprised that's the actual factual Oracle wording!

Also, "If you cast this spell during your main phase, choose one —".

Also also, the first mode literally doesn't work, because you give BaB "can't be countered" on resolution, which doesn't do you much good if your opponent counters BaB before it can resolve :p

Also also also, same for the trample. I mentioned that before, but in the current order, the spell first deals 3 damage, then gains trample. That means it doesn't do at all what you want it to.

Suggested wording:

As you cast Build a Bolt, choose one —
* BaB can't be countered.
* Creatures your opponents control lose indestructible and can't gain indestructible until end of turn.
* When BaB deals damage (to a creature) this turn, do X
My intuition is that the first ability works just fine. Aren't there cards with kicker: cant be countered? Why is this any different?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
My intuition is that the first ability works just fine. Aren't there cards with kicker: cant be countered? Why is this any different?
I don't think this works the same way. Spells like Exquisite Firecraft, Demonfire, and Banefire have a separate ability that checks whether the spell can be countered in a sort of on/off way. You'll notice that in each of these instances, whether the spell can be countered is already determined by the time it hits the stack. I'm not sure putting it in a 'choose one' ability works the same way. That said, you do have to choose your modes on announcing the spell, so by the time the spell is on the stack, the game does know you've chosen the 'can't be countered'...

Build a Bolt
Instant - 1R

If you cast this spell during your upkeep, CARDNAME can’t be countered.

If you cast this spell during your main phase, creatures damaged by CARDNAME lose indestructible until end of turn.

If you cast this spell during your end step, CARDNAME gains trample.

Deal 3 damage to any target.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Build a Bolt
Instant - 1R

If you cast this spell during your upkeep, CARDNAME can’t be countered.

If you cast this spell during your main phase, creatures damaged by CARDNAME lose indestructible until end of turn.

If you cast this spell during your end step, CARDNAME gains trample.

Deal 3 damage to any target.
I mean, trample during the end step is useless, but I really like this template, that is so fun! :D

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think if it's actually going to be an issue that a card being uncounterable as part of its resolution doesn't do anything, I'll swap out that mode

Deepsea Triome doesn’t look like a Mountain.
B67EEE2F-698B-444D-A111-93863BC4F3FA.png

Untamed Triome doesn’t look like a Forest.

ABDD0ACD-C043-4931-9244-FD46C9A0758B.png

Violent Triome neither look like a Swamp nor a Forest. It’s just a volcano.

E264C455-6636-406A-BEA2-CF379BE83DC3.png

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's not easy getting all three land types in a single artwork Velrun, especially not since you're looking for a particular art style and existing art.

Deepsea Triome has this big, jagged rock in the foreground plus some pillars in the background. It may not be a perfect fit, but it's serviceable enough.
Untamed Triome has those trees in the artwork, honestly the image reminds me of a dry Savannah, which is fitting, because it also taps for {R}. I actually quite like it. The only thing I'ld maybe change is zoom in a bit, cropping off the figure, and making the trees a larger part of the art.
Violent Triome though... that's certainly a volcano. Urborg Volcano shows a bit more black smoke and generally is darker in tone, but I'ld believe the black mana part. I don't see the Forest either though.