General Custom Cards: The Lab

As for the cards themselves, I really really like the designs. I know we (well, you and other people, I mostly watched) talked a lot about 'simplicity' and what it brings to a card. I don't have too much to add to that discussion other than to say that I think you struck a really good balance between novelty and simplicity. One aspect of these particular cards that I think you could improve upon would be the flavor of each, as all five have certain similarities--specifically, the art is similar (spooky raven-haired women with shoulder pads doing magic, mostly) and all of them are named Adjective Job.

I'm also not sold on the following mechanics:

Envious Aspirant needing Menace and having an ability that needs her to survive, as these conflict a fair bit.
Chainblade Shinobi having Flash, as that bleeds into Ninjutsu's design space.

However, I think they're great cards for your particular cube, and they're mechanically doing what you want them to, so I'd back you shipping them as game pieces! They're certainly a cut above anything I've produced.

thanks! the black cards are probably my least favorite of my designs as they’re the first ones i did and i restricted myself to “i need some 1-2 cost creatures and some 4-cost creatures that maybe can play around in other parts of the curve,” which is why they… well, are what they are.
all of the customs i do (except fixing lands) exist so that i can have a rotating cube roster that keeps things fresh draft to draft but doesn’t require me to buy new cards, as im really happy with my current size and power level but still want to have some variety.

thanks, i also quite like the Treefolk too, someone in a discord pointed out that it has pseudo-heroic which can make for some hilarious lines if your opponent aims a kill spell at it

"Create a 1/1 green Squirrel creature token. When it enters the battlefield, it Investigates. When a Squirrel you control Investigates this turn, it creates a Food token."

Idk if we're just running around trees here, but it's cute! Besides, given that it's essentially a silver-bordered card, you can probably be pretty evocative with its wording.

Evocative you say?

Whenever a Squirrel you control investigates this turn, it creates a Food token.

Whenever a Squirrel enters the battlefield under your control this turn, it investigates.

Create a 1/1 green Squirrel creature token.

You will read the card from the top to the bottom and back from the bottom to the top. Just like a little squirrel climbing up and down a tree.

Yeah. You have bogus set symbols on the rest.

They look solid. Where'd you order from? Do people still use MSE to make cards or what's up?

Thinking about stuff like

Caves of Bradlos
Land - Swamp
T: Add W. Take a damage or maybe lose a life?

Stuff like that where the lands are very black based. Maybe some fake fetches cus I hate having $500 of lands with me. Maybe a Swamp-only fetch. Not sure I want to design nonlands cus I need some limitations.

Yeah. You have bogus set symbols on the rest.

They look solid. Where'd you order from? Do people still use MSE to make cards or what's up?
I use Artificer on my phone to make the customs, and ordered from MakePlayingCards. there’s a process to it (prepping/sizing images for upload, selecting settings, optimizing price) i can explain in greater detail if you’re interested in making an order.

I'll download the app and get toying with it. I've been looking for lands and it's either $500 or kinda shitty mana. I own the cards, but I get uncomfortable with new players that are friends of friends coming in and snagging some good shit.

I'll download the app and get toying with it. I've been looking for lands and it's either $500 or kinda shitty mana. I own the cards, but I get uncomfortable with new players that are friends of friends coming in and snagging some good shit.
“i firmly believe anyone can have a good manabase, anyone. this cube is your world, just play around and have fun with it…”
-Bob Ross, circa 1997

I use Artificer on my phone to make the customs, and ordered from MakePlayingCards. there’s a process to it (prepping/sizing images for upload, selecting settings, optimizing price) i can explain in greater detail if you’re interested in making an order.
I wouldn’t mind a thorough explanation here :) In fact I would appreciate it.

I feel like I make pretty customs but your could be better?