General Custom Cards: The Lab

okay, here’s my process.
step 1: make the card in Artificer, save the image.

step 2: resize the image to 744x1038px at 300dpi, then place this image in the center of an 816x1110px black background.
(this gives the image the correct bleed/cut size for MPC’s process and you can see the difference right away if you try to upload non-resized/backed images to the site.)

step 3: start your MPC order. i use the custom game cards option, 63x88mm, no border (your image already has the correct border built in), S33 Superior Smooth, full color print, MPC game card finish. there are other options but these are the ones relevant to “making it feel like a Magic card.”

step 4: at this point you can fiddle a bit with the deck size/number of decks to optimize price, main thing is to know going in how many cards you need printed vs their print run quantities, as it’s a better deal per card to get as close to their max print run quantity as possible.

step 5: start your design. you’ll want different images for each front, no text on front or back, and (i assume) same image on each back. you have to upload each front image and then basically double click it once loaded to add to order. a bit tedious but it’s part of the fun and a good time to check over what you need and how it looks and such.

step 6: once your fronts are done you’ll upload a card back. DO NOT USE THE REAL CARD BACK or even a modified version that still has any of the trademarked text on it, as this will flag you for copyright violation and delay your order. i will paste what i used below for reference but you can go pretty wild with this as long as you don’t have the real trademarks on the back.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...ts/itdu9g/custom_minimalist_mtg_back_for_mpc/

step 7: once you upload the card back it’s basically just a matter of completing the checkout, i got mine within a couple weeks but your mileage may vary based on location, i have heard they ship from Hong Kong and/or Germany.

Further reading:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mpcproxies..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Hope this helps!

Hmm good question. I dont see a way. Unless the templating has changed recently, the background should be the artifact grey and the text fields should be gold a la mask of riddles. Seems like maybe a templating issue with the app :/

yeah it’s a templating issue, the colors supersede the card type
it is certainly not the end all be all of card makers, it’s just the one i happen to have and understand.

i always just search “fantasy art x” on google and sorta wiggle around into synonyms for swamp or just add “dark” to the front of some other locale for black+whatever lands

Artificer_2021-07-03T07:34:55.815Z20216303455.jpegArtificer_2021-07-03T07:34:58.081Z20216303458.jpegArtificer_2021-07-03T07:34:59.939Z2021630350.jpegArtificer_2021-07-03T07:35:01.624Z2021630351.jpegArtificer_2021-07-03T07:35:04.495Z2021630354.jpegArtificer_2021-07-03T07:35:06.382Z2021630356.jpegArtificer_2021-07-03T07:36:25.362Z20216303625.jpeg
I'll take any advice. Especially art was a struggle. Needs to be Bxx. Like the Sultai one feels very Bgu to me. Primarily black art, not an even split across the three, you know? I think a couple of these arts aren't quite right, but I'd prefer to get started than scour art all night.

The idea behind this cycle was to enable players to play black but punish the additional colors a little bit. The original pains never felt right having to lose a life to add the cube's core color.

I love the Torment set logo :) Not everyone will get the reference (but most people in here probably will)

Your Midnight Vista has a beautiful art for the effect!!

I think your land cycle is super strong but as long ad you’re fine with that, we’re fine with it too :p

I'll take any advice. Especially art was a struggle. Needs to be Bxx. Like the Sultai one feels very Bgu to me. Primarily black art, not an even split across the three, you know? I think a couple of these arts aren't quite right, but I'd prefer to get started than scour art all night.

The idea behind this cycle was to enable players to play black but punish the additional colors a little bit. The original pains never felt right having to lose a life to add the cube's core color.
these are suhweet!
highly recommend getting the artist credit if you can. i actually think the arts are pretty cool and fit the flavor/color combos pretty well.
the effect is perfect, feels very black. i would probably give these the Swamp basic land type to make them fetchable, but i am the “broken mana guy” so YMMV.
in the same vein, i also would add some kind of small ability like maybe the Campus scry (SURVEIL?!??) ability, the Triome cycling ability, or the Horizon sac to draw ability. just personal preference, i think they are good lands as-is, but i’d love for them to have either fetchability or utility or both.

I love the Torment set logo :) Not everyone will get the reference (but most people in here probably will)
I wanted the Skull from that one premium deck. Graveborn? It wasn't there, though. Might change the symbol's rarity to be more accurate for my drafters, but Torment is always on my mind.
Your Midnight Vista has a beautiful art for the effect!!
I was debating if this effect was worth it earlier in the day and then I found that art. So perfect.
I think your land cycle is super strong but as long ad you’re fine with that, we’re fine with it too :p
I think it's strong and WotC wouldn't print it, largely because it's so black-centric and it makes more sense to make a cycle of "T, Pay 1 life: Add A, B, or C," but the pain is a real cost.
these are suhweet!
highly recommend getting the artist credit if you can. i actually think the arts are pretty cool and fit the flavor/color combos pretty well.
Thanks. I was gonna credit the artist, but it added a lot more for me to keep track of with how difficult it can be to manage things on a phone. I also know my players are never going to read who the artist is. Of the 20-50 people who will ever see these, maybe 3 will care to read that. Is it too grimy to not add credit, though?

I wish the Abzan one were darker, if anyone has art for that. And the Jund one doesn't feel very green, but the art is pretty Jund-y, so it seems alright.
the effect is perfect, feels very black. i would probably give these the Swamp basic land type to make them fetchable, but i am the “broken mana guy” so YMMV.
I'm going to make some sort of two color fetchable cycle at some point. These feel more in line with a WotC power level if they really loved black.
"add something"
What about this?
Artificer_20216312011.jpeg
Midnight Vista tickles me pink! :D
These are amazing man, great job!
Thanks!

~ ETB tapped unless
you control a basic Swamp
you control two or more other Swamps
Which is better? Feels like the first discourages greed and the second is a slow land. Are both good?

Signet lands that are Swamps

Swamp with "T. Pay 1 life: add color2."

Nimbus Maze but it's a Swamp with "activate only if you control another Swamp" for the second color. Kind of like Tainted cycle 2.0.

Temples that Surveil instead of Scry

All 6 black Triomes

Evolving Wilds but it can get any Swamp (still tapped)
Swampcycling Ash Barrens
Grand Coliseum but it's a Swamp

Pillar of the Paruns for a black spell.
Me seeing any land that taps for C: "This but it taps for B!"

Any of those ideas look particularly good or bad?

I think I need 6-8 different 2c black lands. If I go down this route, I'll probably proxy 1-2 sets of fetches plus have some shocks, maybe buddies/checks and manlands. That said, I'd want 1-3 cycles of custom duals, probably triomes and the other tricolor cycle, and some all color fixing.

I don't want to design any utility lands. I'm comfortable with these ideas because color fixing is monetarily expensive and not thematically designed around my cube for some reason.