General Custom Cards: The Lab

I like the idea of filling in the Bxx triomes. Triomes are a really flexible and useful land to have in a manabase without being warpingly efficient

Oooo let me pile on

It's not basic but there's 60 of them in the basics box
What did you make this on? Artificer isn't able to make the lines between text smaller once there starts to be a lot of text. It didn't seem like an issue when making fun of blacksmithy, but now my Temple2.0s look weird.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'll take any advice. Especially art was a struggle. Needs to be Bxx. Like the Sultai one feels very Bgu to me. Primarily black art, not an even split across the three, you know? I think a couple of these arts aren't quite right, but I'd prefer to get started than scour art all night.

The idea behind this cycle was to enable players to play black but punish the additional colors a little bit. The original pains never felt right having to lose a life to add the cube's core color.
So... Bloodsky Marsh has forest right there in the art. This to me feels like it should be your Jund art. Alternatively, there's Purple Forest by Kirk Quilaquil that also works for a BRG triland.

Kirk Quilaquil, Ninjatic on Deviantart, actually has some great art for you. I'm using this one on a BW dual myself, but it works really well for a Mardu dual as well: Valley of a Thousand Suns by Kirk Quilaquil.

He also has one of my favorite BUG land arts: Ruined Ship by Kirk Quilaquil, though Cavern by Kirk Quilaquil works as well.

If you're unsure about your BWG art, Substrata by Kirk Quilaquil is a good one.

Thanks. I was gonna credit the artist, but it added a lot more for me to keep track of with how difficult it can be to manage things on a phone. I also know my players are never going to read who the artist is. Of the 20-50 people who will ever see these, maybe 3 will care to read that. Is it too grimy to not add credit, though?
I would always add artist credits. It's simply the right thing to do. I can't imagine any artist being fine with their art being used uncredited (unless they got a lot of money for it).

Chris Taylor

Contributor
What did you make this on? Artificer isn't able to make the lines between text smaller once there starts to be a lot of text. It didn't seem like an issue when making fun of blacksmithy, but now my Temple2.0s look weird.
I use magic set editor, which is dinky actual windows software powered by necromancy

Here's a download link for the whole program
This is where you download templates to make different kinds of cards, as these do need to be put in the install directory

I would always add artist credits. It's simply the right thing to do. I can't imagine any artist being fine with their art being used uncredited (unless they got a lot of money for it).
I use magic set editor
Let me see about MSE on Linux or I can emulate it. It would be a lot easier to add artist credit when I can name the file.

Just looked around on the phone and I can save an image then add a description where I'd put the artist name.

Artificer_2021-07-04T22:05:59.384Z20216415559.jpegArtificer_2021-07-04T22:06:05.600Z2021641565.jpegArtificer_2021-07-04T22:06:09.671Z2021641569.jpegArtificer_2021-07-04T22:06:07.993Z2021641568.jpegArtificer_2021-07-04T22:06:11.390Z20216415611.jpegArtificer_2021-07-04T22:06:14.082Z20216415614.jpegArtificer_2021-07-04T22:06:16.886Z20216415616.jpegArtificer_2021-07-04T22:06:19.237Z20216415619.jpegArtificer_2021-07-04T22:06:22.412Z20216415622.jpegArtificer_2021-07-04T22:06:25.713Z20216415625.jpeg
I'll dig up artist info from my history later.

I’m guessing it was on purpose you missed/skipped the reminder text that the lands can produce mana?

Pretty cool to have Shock lands with activation abilities! That’s a dream land to include in a deck. It feels fair but powerful. But still fair actually.

I’m guessing it was on purpose you missed/skipped the reminder text that the lands can produce mana?
Yeah, the basic land typing technically allows me to skip the mana production text, which saves me valuable rules box real estate on the custom lands. (in addition to all the busted interactions basic land typing brings to the table)
Pretty cool to have Shock lands with activation abilities! That’s a dream land to include in a deck. It feels fair but powerful. But still fair actually.
i have had great experiences so far with running a spread of actual factual fetches, painless and textless “basic duals,” and shockland “utility duals” that do stuff. this just deepens my roster of utility duals to choose from and i’ve always LOVED the innistrad utility lands, they are such nice effects! (in general, you can probably see where i nerfed Drownyard for 40 card decks, and stole the effect from Rix Maadi to replace Stensia Bloodhall’s poopy ability)

Has anyone made any dungeons yet?

My MSE is having issues these days. Might have to uninstall and re-install it. Pretty scared of losing font and sets in the process.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
-Right Click on MSE > Properties > Open File Location
-Select All > Cut
-Go to your desktop > New Folder (MSE Backup) > Paste
-Install MSE as normal, check everything still works, etc
-If you want to return to backup, delete your "new" MSE install files, replace them with the contents of your MSE Backup folder

Hey there,
I made a cycle of 30 cards for my cube to fullfill a specific purpose.
Each card has a mix of hybrid and normal colored mana costs.
I mostly play a two player draft variant and I wanted to add multicolor cards that are easier to include into different decks.

I try to find new cards for the last six.
But I lack creativity these days. Maybe some of you come up with something.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210725_145015.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725_145015.jpg
    692 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20210725_145003.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725_145003.jpg
    686.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20210725_144953.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725_144953.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20210725_144930.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725_144930.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20210725_144908.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725_144908.jpg
    687.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There are definitely some gems in there. Some very cool designs! I think my favorite out of the bunch is The Elder Relic. So simple, and yet, so very, very sweet! :)

There are a few I am less sure about.

Veil of Mold feels like it should not be a black hybrid. Black loves destroying creatures more than anything else, with lands and enchantments being a very distant third (after planeswalkers). I feel this could maybe be a {W}{R/G} card. White doesn't really unconditionally kill creatures (unless it's en mass), but it kills pretty much anything else, except lands. Guess what red and green can do :)

Zophiel, the Conundrum feels like a bit of an outlier. It's the only card out of the bunch that isn't exciting to me, because in a lot of cases it's just going to be a 2/2 flying for 2. Maybe you can turn it into something more proactive against any opponent. I like "Whenever a land enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, they may put a card from their hand on top of their library. If they don't, you draw a card." Maybe 2/2 is a bit much with this line, but at least this does something against every opponent, and it fits nicely with the name ;)

Ana, the Ur-Mother seems nasty. I mean, expensive, sure, but the fact that killing stuff effectively doesn't cost any resources is crazy. The ability isn't even restricted to sorcery speed, so you can just activate it at your leisure on your own and your opponent's turns to mitigate the life loss.

For Circle of Fate, I don't expect every player to know what fateseal does, since it's a pretty old and sparsely used mechanic. I would simply write it out and replace the first line with: "For each player, look at the top two cards of that player's library, then put any number of them on the bottom of their library and the rest on top in any order."

Some nitpicks:
  • WotC stopped using the Æ character, see Aether Adept, for example. All cards that used to have and Æ in their card name now officially use 'ae', and they updated Oracle accordingly. In other words, that card should be called Aeromonculus ;)
  • 'Instant' and 'Sorcery' should be entirely lower case on Arcane Mastery (so "... an instant or sorcery card.")
  • Re: Glenn, the Voice of Calm: WotC usually only uses the complete name of a legendary card the first time it is referenced in its rules text. By the way, I love this design, and I wish it cost {1}{W/B}{G} or {1}{W/U}{G} instead so I could Might of Oaks into a full grip :D