General CBS

I have printed out all the ‘normal’ dungeons in a regular A4 printing paper. It’s great to have that on the table instead of the Magic card-sized.

I don't care for the story and I'm not sure I want blocks back. On one hand, I like the mechanical consistency, but when you really don't like a world, it sucks to have to wait so long. Although with all the supplemental sets these days, it might not be so bad anymore.

There’s going to be two Secret Lairs sets between each of the Standard-legal sets anyways. Also a Commander set and another one that for instance could be a Modern set or a Commander set or a special set. And then back to the story.

I think it would be really nice if we every now and then had two sets that were on the same plane with the same story in a row. Not all the time. Just like once every second year or so. Things are going too fast for us to have time to create memories with the set/plane/characters/cards before we move on to the next one.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a good point. We remember the year we first went to Zendikar or the year played with gods and enchantment creatures or whatever, but with so many different sets and settings each year much less of it sticks.

Funny everyone is talking about the story. I always liked that the mechanics got a fresh twist/extension with the second/third set in the block.
Furthermore, having more cards with the same mechanics makes it easier to avoid power creep.

Funny everyone is talking about the story. I always liked that the mechanics got a fresh twist/extension with the second/third set in the block.
Furthermore, having more cards with the same mechanics makes it easier to avoid power creep.

No, it’s also the mechanics. And the art style.
Everything really!

It would be nice if we could just do that a little bit sometimes. Not so often. Just sometimes.

Wizards has announced that they have listened to the player feedback and have decided to attempt to make Standard the favorite format.

In fact they actually started doing this about a year ago with a multi-step plan. Step 1 was to make Standard a 3-year rotating format instead of a 2-year.

Step 2 is happening now.

The upcoming Outlaws of Thunder Junction Pro Tour will be a Standard format and this will be the norm going forward. Also there will be Showdown Standard tournaments at the local game stores with Showdown prizes. We have seen the Basic Lands. I’ll upload them so you guys know which ones they are. The local game store host will also receive some oversized cards as a thank you for hosting the Showdown events.

IMG_5253.jpeg

We don’t know when they will announce Step 3 but they have said that there are more steps.

https://scryfall.com/sets/pss4

Last edited:
Weird timing right before MH3 to push Standard, but I've always been a Standard fan as someone who occasionally looks for inspiration from the newest cards.

I wonder if the oversized cards will be poster sized. I'd love to get my hands on one if they're not too expensive on the secondary market.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
From what I heard it was a decent improvement over Ixalan (an all-time flop as a draft set) but still forgettable compared to most sets

Imo four is just an awkward number for magics color system
It's actually nice for a change to draft something that isn't like all other sets. Torment and Judgment was cool because they were so heavy mono-black (Torment) and green-white with little bit red blue (Judgment). I get a little bored every time they announce the draft archetypes for a set and it's (almost always) 10 guild archetypes.

It was interesting when Riptiders talked about having uncommon guild-colored draft signposts because it was before Wizards did it. But now they've been doing it for 10 years and to me it's a little boring.

Having 4 archetypes in a set is pretty cool. Makes people fight over them a lot more. But there are also more to fight over. Pretty different experience.

Last edited:
This is MTG related. I dunno where to post.

I'm looking at a career change and learning web dev stuff right now. This project was to make a website that looking similar in style to a provided screenshot. The business-looking website provided seemed a little too boring, so I made this:
D91M3CT.png
There's more if I were to scroll down on the page, but my monitor is pretty small and the top two sections are the fun ones.

If anyone here is a web dev, let me know if you'd be available to help with some hopefully MTG-related projects in the future! I have an idea for my portfolio that I think is sweet, but will be considerably more work than this.

I was procrastinating with a work thing and decided to port over some of my old Wayback Machine archives I had from CubeTutor into CubeCobra (as well as saving the CSV and throwing it in Google Sheets for good measure), since I like seeing how my Cube has evolved since the summer of 2012 when I first put it together.

After doing my best to recapture the pedantic sorting season I used at the time, I hit the lovely "Compare Cubes" function with where my Cube is now, as of OTJ/BIG/OTC and this was the result.

I've swapped out 450 cards.

450 cards is a whole Cube worth of cards. 62.5% of my Cube has been changed out in the last six years.

If you asked me to guess...actually, I probably would have gotten it pretty close. It seems like a healthy movement, even if it does make me a little melancholy. I call my primary Cube the "California Premiership Cube" and I've made a "California Champion's League Cube" out of rejects to help me cope with losing long-standing favorites, but even that format is shifting regularly for balance and gameplay reasons.

But back to this: I only have 270 cards that have stayed the same for the last six years. I can live with that, I think. It's probably a similar ratio to the most-played cards in most constructed formats. I figured Blue and Brown would be the most similar to how it was in 2018, and that Gold would be the most-changed, so I looked at the % of new cards by color and got this:

White: 67%
Blue: 56%
Black: 62%
Red: 67%
Green: 58%

Gold: 80%
Artifact: 57%
Land: 53%

Blue and Brown were indeed the most static (besides lands), but Green was a lot closer than I would've guessed. Gold's 80% change-out rate was even higher than I expected, as was the Land section! I didn't realize how much I've improved the mana base of my Cube in this (relatively) short amount of time.

My earliest complete archive I have for my Cube is from midway through 2013, when my Cube was around a year old and only 450 cards. I only have 164 cards from that rendition left, but hey, that's 36% of the 450 list and pretty close to the ratio from my 2018 list - not too bad for 11 years!

I'd love to figure out a way to honor cards that have stuck from the very beginning in the draft process. Stickers and the like would be too easy to feel through sleeves, and custom inner-sleeves would be expensive...but also, it'd be cute. Maybe if I can figure out a way to work out what cards are 100% from 2012, I could do something like this:

Since 2011 Innser Sleeve.pngWall of Omens - Since 2011.png

(I don't know why I put "since 2011" here instead of "since 2012" but it illustrates the point I hope)