Sets (OTJ) Outlaws of Thunder Junction Previews

Bristly-Bill-Spine-Sower-OTJ-265.jpg

Can we get a mono cactus commander deck?
This card seems like it might be decently strong for high power but fair environments? Sort of a green Luminarch Aspirant impression but you get to double up on counters if the environment has a high density of fetchlands. I'll definitely consider testing this one somewhere. The last ability costing just 5 also seems pretty strong if the game goes long.

This card seems like it might be decently strong for high power but fair environments?
I’m definitely interested in this guy. With double fetches and a small counter theme it’s perfect. I also like that it’s a lands card that isn’t 3 mana for once!
Hate the art and flavour though :(

Resilient-Roadrunner-OTJ-265.jpg

THIS is trinket text!

I see people misuse the term "trinket text" a lot of the time. Trinket text is NOT words on a card that you personally don't care about, such as "Choose a Background."

From the MTG Wiki:
"Trinket text" is rules text on a card that is more for flavor than mechanics. [1]

7nwzaac.jpeg

Do people outside the States know about this cartoon? Basically, the coyote wants to fuck up the roadrunner, but he keeps getting his ass kicked because the roadrunner is too clever.

Overall, an amazing design. 2/2 haste for 2 is respectable, great trinket text, and (mostly)unblockable later is a nice perk. Notable that the only non-changeling coyote in MtG (as of posting) is the other 2/2 haste for 2 in this set.

Bristly-Bill-Spine-Sower-OTJ-265.jpg

Can we get a mono cactus commander deck?
This card is awesome. Bridging Landfall and +1/+1 counters themes, is early enough in the curve that it can be used to set up bigger plays down the line, and it can even function as a mana sink later in the game.

Huh, why is there a bunch of villains from random magic sets in this plane. How did they get there. Is this because of the new not-planeswalking
Yes, and I think it's a clunky mess. Post Phyrexian Invasion 2, "Omenpaths" now connect planes to each other, allowing normal not-planeswalkers (legendary creatures, natch) to go from plane A to plane B, letting Wizards tell a bunch of stories. Fish out of water, new ideas that change an entire plane's paradigms of organization, interesting Creatures Where They Shouldn't Be, etc, etc etc...

But then they decided that actually the Omenpaths go to, like, a central train station, instead? And this plane, Outlaw Junction, is that transit hub for the multiverse, Grand Central Station meets Dubai International Airport but way emptier. I don't understand why they've done this at all, and I think changing 'anywhere could have a portal to anywhere else' to 'and also, every plane gets a chance to dress up for the Westworld theme park, and maybe once they do some cowboy stuff first, go do any of the bajillion possible exciting stories we hooked you on this concept with'.

I just don't understand why it's so clunky, why we had to go to Waiting Room World

The whole set feels like it's a parody of a cowboy cartoon to me. Almost everyone wears a cowboy hat? Really?
Everyone wearing a cowboy hat is actually historically accurate. I'm not kidding.

Ever since the first Cowboy hat, the "Boss of the Plains" hat, was invented by John B. Stetson in 1865, it became indispensable for most settlers out west. Cowboy hats were good at keeping a person protected from the sun, weren't too hot to wear all day, they waterproofed to some degree so they wouldn't get soaked and become infested with mites, and they helped to keep dust out of a person's eyes. As such, within a few years, anyone working outdoors on the frontier owned a cowboy hat. This basically continued up until air conditioning made the American Southwest more habitable for people doing work that wasn't related to resource extraction.

WOTC has done a lot of things wrong with the worldbuilding here. Terra Nullis, the dumb looking "trains" that aren't actually trains, and the lack of time between the opening of the Omenpaths and the set's story are all huge problems that detract from the setting. But everyone wearing cowboy hats is entirely accurate!

The whole set feels like it's a parody of a cowboy cartoon to me. Almost everyone wears a cowboy hat? Really?

The flavor, overall, is a miss for me, but I'm still liking a lot of things.
I was already pretty over the cultural references with the serial numbers filed off when we hit Eldraine and it put together not-Stonehenge, not-Robin Hood, and not-Loch Ness Monster, even though in the real world those things occurred thousands of years apart. Now we're getting versions of Paul Bunyan and Looney Tunes? Really??

Train, I apologize for being short yesterday. I've been a bit stressed.

I feel like the cowboy hats feel egregious because we just got finished with "all your favorite Ravnican characters do a murder mystery party": the set. It also feels like we're getting a frankly silly number of legendary creatures from random planes which are here because... you guys like Marchesa, right?

marchesadealerofdeath.jpg

Why isn't this bland-ass value Commander an Assassin, Wotc?

In any case, a couple of designs I actually kinda like:

livelydirge.jpg

Lively Dirge{1}{B}
Sorcery (u)
Spree
+{1} — Search your library for a card, put it into your graveyard, then shuffle.
+{2} — Return up to two creature cards with a total mana value of 4 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.

What an interesting card.

outcastertrailblazer.jpg

We'll have to see how this plays, but the thought of this going T3 Plot into T4 five drop cantrip + "free" 4/2 seems fun.

longhornsharpshooter.jpg

Longhorn Sharpshooter{2}{R}
Creature — Minotaur Rogue (u)
Reach
When Longhorn Sharpshooter is plotted, it deals 2 damage to any target.
Plot {3}{R}
3/3

As a side note: one thing that I'm always a little annoyed by is how they don't like to spoil Green's non-creature cards until later in spoiler season. I want to see what a Green Spree card looks like!

I just realized what is missing in this set for me: the escape. I fell in love with Magic because of the dragons, the demons, the elementals and wizards. It’s the setting and the creatures inhabiting it.

Outlaw Junction doesn’t offer much escape because it takes real life history and just dresses it up as Magic. Contrast it to Eldraine which also takes real life “lore”, but the lore is fairy tales (a fantasy world). Then there are a million characters I don’t give a shit about because they’re just a random human posing for the picture and I don’t follow the Magic storyline.

As we established with my AI prompts in the custom card thread, I am not great at expressing myself, but hopefully this is coherent!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
People were saying something about on-the-nose references that feel kinda jarring?

On the other hand, look at this thing. Look at it!

smugglerssurprise.jpg

Cheat out a pair of chonky lads at instant speed and in a manner villain will have problems dealing with for a mere {5}{G}{G}. Just ignore that it's yet another kinda jarring thing.
Is that a fricking Trojan Horse? XD

I just realized what is missing in this set for me: the escape. I fell in love with Magic because of the dragons, the demons, the elementals and wizards. It’s the setting and the creatures inhabiting it.

Outlaw Junction doesn’t offer much escape because it takes real life history and just dresses it up as Magic.
I can appreciate the sentiment, but funnily enough, as a European, I don’t have that reaction at all. Western tropes are escapism over here.