Sets (OTJ) Outlaws of Thunder Junction Previews

Oko Returns.
GHC7nEpXIAAIGNH.png

So Oko is the first good Planeswalker we've had in a minute, but he wasn't the only card shown off today!

wawawa.PNG

More borderless lands. Yay... They should consider either printing fewer of these or making them the only lands in the set, or else there will be:

GHC70QKWcAA3lBC.png

I like this card. Very cool. Apparently "committing a Crime" is doing anything that targets an opponent or their stuff, including cards in their hand/graveyard, their permanents, their spells on the stack... This set literally makes interaction illegal!

GHC8NPzXUAAnopf.png

Tinybones returns, cuter than ever! I like that he allows you to pickpocket cantrips from an opponent. Is this Ragavan 2.0?

This is Kellan's last set as the main character now that he found his dad (Oko.) He did make some new friends, though!
GHC8ZpJW4AAg7JW.png
GHC8aaZXgAAIx2n.png

GHC8bFoXUAAv4_y.png
GHC8bvIWEAEH6LK.png

This set will have two bonus sheets: one that helps you commit crimes...
GHC80X9WgAAsVcl.png
GHC9LreXcAAw9Wv.png

...and one featuring cards from a scrapped "aftermath" style epilogue booster set, called "the vault." These are the treasures that Oko and his Possie are after in the set's story!
GHC9TPxXQAAFFFi.png

GHC933jXYAEzqYn.png

Golem tribal??

One last thing: Fblthp makes his triumphant return to Magic after nearly 5 years!
GHC9_IIXYAAWHGY.png
We don't know what he's plotting (or, indeed, what "plotting" actually is yet), but rest assured, this little bugger is up to something!

GHC8NPzXUAAnopf.jpeg
Tinybones, the Pickpocket (B)
Legendary Creature - Skeleton Rogue

Deathtouch

Whenever Tinybones, the Pickpocket deals combat damage to a player, you may cast target nonland permanent card from that player's graveyard, and mana of any type can be spent to cast that spell.

1/1

A 1/1 with deathtouch is surprisingly good, even in power-motivated Cubes. I've actually had a lot of success with Ashnod, Flesh Mechanist even though the Powerstone is not that valuable in my list, and I think Tinybones 2.0 is much better.

I love the Ragavan-like ability here. It feels less feelsbad, but still plenty powerful. Deathtouch goes a long way in making this trade up more frequently than his pirate monkey analog.

And he's so cute!!

I think Tinybones will be in my Cube for a long time to come, this is exactly the kind of card I've been hoping for to buff out my 1-drop section with appropriate cards that work well across archetypes.

Fuck Oko. I'm not even gonna read that piece of shit.

Tinybones looks sweet, but I hate letting players gain control of the opponent's permanents (outside of Threaten) because it gets shuffled into the wrong deck so easily.

Hell to Pay is pretty cool! I'm glad they keep printing variants on red X damage spells. Blaze is too weak, so that leaves room to keep adding bonuses to the card to see how it plays.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I know why you get to cast nonland permanents, firing off your opponents interaction is probably too easy a game for a 1 drop
But it does curb a lot of the excitement of this card. Barring sheninigans like seal of fire you're probably casting their creatures, if anything else.

I thought this was gonna be reverse dreadhorde arcanist and it's tiny ink-eyes? Not that either of those are bad, just feels a little weird

Yeah and it’s kind of weird and cool at the same time that even after Outlaws of Thunder Junction is far in the rear mirror it is still committing crimes to play Magic. That term is now eternal.

If you think about it, it kind of makes sense that a capital punishment is not a crime since they are usually conducted by the same people/government who write the law which determines what is a crime and what isn’t.

And a Secret Rendezvous could easily be a crime. Especially if you are hiding from the law enforcement like a true Michael Scofield-Sara Tancredi style.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Oh yeah nobody posted this yet:
1708972454209.png
Nathan's invitational card

I'm kinda in! I'm always in dire need of good blue creatures, and evasive creatures that reward you for playing cantrips or interaction that can still block (even if it'll likely be as an 0/3) is a convincing package
I'm gonna put together one with crimes reminder text though. Going with this until we get official rulings:
Code:
(You commit a crime whenever you target an opponent or any cards they own.)
Technically it's a crime to giant growth a creature you stole this way, but I'm okay with that if it comes up

Pretty bummer to win the Worlds and get rewarded with a “Whenever you commit a crime” card with your face on it :p
Technically the way they've been handling this ever since Eldraine is letting the victor look at the card file and see if there is anything they would like to have their name on. They get input on name and card design (I think they're even able to submit their own designs still as well). Essentially, Mr. Steuer chose to commit a crime : )

I really hope the lack of reminder text for crime doesn't continue with spoilers for the rest of the set. Such a pain whenever they do this with one-of mechanics that they feature for a set before shelving for years to come. It's not intuitive at all and just another obstacle for players to wade through.

Digging the frontier vibe. Some of the outfits remind me of Monster Hunter (but that's probably because I spent most of Low Rank in full Wroggi gear).

I guess my question is: will there be a sherriff in this town? Surely there can't be two "crime-themed" planes with no law enforcement, right?

Anyway: Tinybones 4 lyfe

Surely there can't be two "crime-themed" planes with no law enforcement, right?

New Capenna and Thunder Junction?

Also really cool to visit some new planes again after Ravnica, Ixalan, Eldraine and four (five) sets of Dominaria. The last new plane we had was actually New Capenna. Now we get Thunder Junction and Bloomburrow!