Sets (OTJ) Outlaws of Thunder Junction Previews

In any case, a couple of designs I actually kinda like:

livelydirge.jpg

Lively Dirge{1}{B}
Sorcery (u)
Spree
+{1} — Search your library for a card, put it into your graveyard, then shuffle.
+{2} — Return up to two creature cards with a total mana value of 4 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.

What an interesting card.
I love the design! I just wish (for my selfish purposes) that either the second mode or the base rate was {1} cheaper. I don't think it would break anything (not even limited) but 4 Mana to reanimate 2 small creatures is a bit much.

As for the set itself, I like it better than MKM but not by that much. Everyone is still wearing hats and a lot of the other sentiments resonate with me as well. I liked having a handful of goofy references throughout a set that would add a bit levity to it but it's not for me if they try so hard to make half the cards into puns of various sorts.

You must have a very specific taste if you think there are no fun cartoons produced nowadays.
Hmm. Let me put it this way:
Avatar Aang is great but not a cartoon.
Pinguïns of Madagascar is a cartoon I guess and one of the few cgi that I like. If you know great recent cartoons, then I am all game.
The Disney/looney toones of recent times are really a shadow of what they were in the past.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hmm. Let me put it this way:
Avatar Aang is great but not a cartoon.
Pinguïns of Madagascar is a cartoon I guess and one of the few cgi that I like. If you know great recent cartoons, then I am all game.
The Disney/looney toones of recent times are really a shadow of what they were in the past.
It depends a bit on what you want to call recently, but some personal favorites over the years that are (often a lot) newer than Looney Tunes are The Legend of Vox Machina, Phineas and Ferb, Teen Titans Go!, Gravity Falls, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Fairly Odd Parents, Two Stupid Dogs, Cow & Chicken, Darkwing Duck, Gummi Bears, The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin. I mean, I guess it also depends a bit on what you define as a cartoon or not, but I think most of these count even when you have a somewhat stricter definition. I haven't watched Steven Universe, Futurama, Adventure Time, Rick and Morty, or BoJack Horseman, but those have been wildly popular as well. And then there's other stuff that could maybe count, like Undone, Arcane, and The Red Turtle (ok, this is a movie, but a beautiful one. I am sure @safra would agree).

Man, the 90's really had a lot of dope cartoons that I have fond memories of. Haven't even named them all :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
People were saying something about on-the-nose references that feel kinda jarring?

On the other hand, look at this thing. Look at it!

smugglerssurprise.jpg

Cheat out a pair of chonky lads at instant speed and in a manner villain will have problems dealing with for a mere {5}{G}{G}. Just ignore that it's yet another kinda jarring thing.
You know, maybe I just have a weakness for nonstandard reminder text :p
Also IDK, at least "I shot the sherrif" is something that does literally happen in a western setting, I'm as baffled by the trojan horse as you are.

Also I think cheating creatures into play took a big hit when the best creature in magic cost 7 instead of 15.

It depends a bit on what you want to call recently, but some personal favorites over the years that are (often a lot) newer than Looney Tunes are The Legend of Vox Machina, Phineas and Ferb, Teen Titans Go!, Gravity Falls, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Fairly Odd Parents, Two Stupid Dogs, Cow & Chicken, Darkwing Duck, Gummi Bears, The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin. I mean, I guess it also depends a bit on what you define as a cartoon or not, but I think most of these count even when you have a somewhat stricter definition. I haven't watched Steven Universe, Futurama, Adventure Time, Rick and Morty, or BoJack Horseman, but those have been wildly popular as well. And then there's other stuff that could maybe count, like Undone, Arcane, and The Red Turtle (ok, this is a movie, but a beautiful one. I am sure @safra would agree).

Man, the 90's really had a lot of dope cartoons that I have fond memories of. Haven't even named them all :)
Those are indeed great. But also most of them are for adults, or quite oldancient or both. I meant the cartoons made in the last 10 years as new ones.

1711641886933.png

This seems like it can get out of hand very quickly in a format built around spell velocity. Getting a zombie for each cantrip, creature or bauble you have leaves you with a nice and open ended storm style payoff that doesn’t ask you to go all in. It’s obviously better when you do with Frantic Search, Gush, Snap and Gitaxian Probe, but not necessary. More zombies and counters makes this tailor made for my cube!

I can appreciate the sentiment, but funnily enough, as a European, I don’t have that reaction at all. Western tropes are escapism over here.

@Onderzeeboot My perspective as an American is that Westerns offer a form of escapism that is quite immersive in its own right. However, this set doesn't capture what makes Westerns exciting for me... at all.

The biggest issue with Modern WoTC design philosophy is treating the setting, or plane, as a backdrop and not a key-player in the world they are trying to sell. The mythologized "American Frontier" as a concept informed the actions of humans residing there. It was a harsh and unforgiving expanse that tested the human spirit and forced people to adapt in order to survive, let alone thrive. And in the true spirit of the American definition of what it means to 'thrive', it came with imperialism, genocide, extreme violence, and self-interest.

But all of the above was just outside of the reach of American and Mexican Federal Forces, allowing for conflict on a smaller scale to be unimpeded by larger powers. I just think this left room for organic conflict and storytelling.

A bunch of jackasses Marvel-smirking at the camera with a cowboy hat makes me feel nothing. Like, less than nothing actually, it makes me feel that this company has lost any ability to build worlds ever again. Because a bunch of 'main-character' types not bound to the natural rules of the worlds they inhabit aren't informed, interesting, or relatable.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A bunch of jackasses Marvel-smirking at the camera with a cowboy hat makes me feel nothing. Like, less than nothing actually, it makes me feel that this company has lost any ability to build worlds ever again. Because a bunch of 'main-character' types not bound to the natural rules of the worlds they inhabit aren't informed, interesting, or relatable.
Honestly, I think that's more bad storycrafting, not bad worldbuilding. Like, the frontier town that gets run over by a lawless gang, people trying to eke out a living in harsh conditions, it's all there, it's just buried under the Ocean's Eleven with cowboy hats "plot". Just look at the lovingly crafted cactus people! Deserts are back as a theme. You're plotting and committing crimes. I think the fun is there, at least in play, but you're being let down by the poster cards (and perhaps by your expectations?).

View attachment 9489

This seems like it can get out of hand very quickly in a format built around spell velocity. Getting a zombie for each cantrip, creature or bauble you have leaves you with a nice and open ended storm style payoff that doesn’t ask you to go all in. It’s obviously better when you do with Frantic Search, Gush, Snap and Gitaxian Probe, but not necessary. More zombies and counters makes this tailor made for my cube!
Or you know plot…

I think the fun is there, at least in play, but you're being let down by the poster cards (and perhaps by your expectations?).

I think my expectations not being met is a fair statement, but I also feel conviction in not wavering in my expectations. I will be frank, I truly do not want my personal feelings and complaints to make anyone feel like their enjoyment of the set is unwelcome whatsoever, everyone enjoys art differently.

It isn't just the poster cards that frustrate me. It is everything. Like, am I supposed to just believe that a bunch of disparate cultures from differing planes all just converged onto a single spot and just got along swimmingly? All of them just happily resided in frontier hovels and started wearing the same themed clothing? The implication that a bunch of people would willingly and quickly assimilate themselves under the joint banner of "Cowboy Hats" borders on comedy. But I guarantee you suits at Hasbro would never allow Cultural Conflict to be represented in their media because its a hot button issue.

A bunch of folks coming together on the plane and bonding over how they're all massive dickheads at home is equally as unbelievable to me, but hey they're all Legendary Creatures and I guess every MTG set is now mandated to include more and more of them now. Gee, I wonder why.

Magic worlds seem more and more like safe Corporate set-pieces to sell EDH players new toys and cool designs than actual worlds for me to escape to.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It isn't just the poster cards that frustrate me. It is everything. Like, am I supposed to just believe that a bunch of disparate cultures from differing planes all just converged onto a single spot and just got along swimmingly?

[...]

Magic worlds seem more and more like safe Corporate set-pieces to sell EDH players new toys and cool designs than actual worlds for me to escape to.
You're completely right that this is "Commander: The Set" with all of the random legendaries that get alternative treatments here, but at least WotC said that (for now) they are going to do sets like this only once per year. Hope the next set will be more immersive for you!

Is this the first recursive black 1 drop with 2 toughness? If I include Crime in my cube, this will get some consideration.
This basically confirms crime for my cube, I think.

Treasure-Dredger-OTJ-265.jpg

I feel like this art was supposed to be a vampire, but they erased the scary teeth and slapped "Human" on it.

Requisition-Raid-OTJ-265.jpg

Main deck playable Super Disenchant.

Taii-Wakeen-Perfect-Shot-OTJ-265.jpg

You burn spells can cantrip and they're all Blazes?! Sheeesh!

Assimilation-Aegis-extended-OTJ-265.jpg

Neat mix of effects. Should have hit a nonland permanent for a two color mythic, but that's alright.

Hellspur-Posse-Boss-extended-OTJ-265.jpg

More kindred done right. A lord that isn't too lord-y that also plays well without being in the outlaw deck.

Vengeful-Townsfolk-OTJ-265.jpg

Solid base stats and easily enabled.

Rise-of-the-Varmints-OTJ-265.jpg

Temu Spider Spawning?

Slick-Sequence-OTJ-265.jpg

Simple UR design. Really appreciate cards like this amidst a sea of wordy mythics.

Kambal-Stern-Mayor-OTJ-265.jpg

Too mean in a Spawn/Scion format?

We also got "blue guy who can't be blocked if Set Mechanic" and "3/3 defender for 2 unless Set Mechanic."

Plot has been increasingly interesting. There's some real decision making with most of the Plot cards, unlike a lot of alternate cost cards.

Slick Sequence is nice — in general, I really think that they've done a great job with the Plot-enabled themes of the set (though I kinda wish that Geralf and Gisa didn't make yet another new Zombie token...)

Setting-wise... I feel like WotC made a bit of a devil's bargain when they got rid of blocks. Sure, there are all kinds of advantages on the design side that come from not having to worry about only getting to visit 1-2 planes a year... but on the flip side, I find all of the new planes we've visited since then really unmemorable. And I feel like the reason why is that none of the new planes have gotten sets where we get to see the status quo for the setting.

To pick an example, we didn't get New Capenna, the Demon Mobster plane where the angels all mysteriously disappeared a while ago. We got New Capenna, the Demon Mobster Plane Without Angels But It Got Invaded By Ob Nixilis So This One Character We Introduced You To Is Already Dead, And Elspeth Is There For Phyrexia-Related Reasons So She Has To Fight Him (Oh And Urabrask Is Too Because We Have A One Praetor Per Set Rule Dang It) And Remember How We Said That The Angels Were Gone? Well They Came Back Mid-Story, So The Set Has Angel Cards In It.

A lot of the post-WAR planes have felt like a version of Tarkir where they shoved Khans/Fate Reforged/Dragons into one set. We haven't gotten anything as cool as original Zendikar's revelation of what the Eldrazi are, or the fun quirk where Dragons of Tarkir replaced Khans of Tarkir in Khans Block drafts instead of adding on to it.

We haven't gotten anything as cool as original Zendikar's revelation of what the Eldrazi are, or the fun quirk where Dragons of Tarkir replaced Khans of Tarkir in Khans Block drafts instead of adding on to it.

You mean the two times in ~25 years of Magic history where the block structure was a boon instead of a detriment?

Getting rid of blocks has been valuable. Why they got rid of all the technology associated with them is beyond me.

Want to tell a before-and-after story? Stay on a plane for two sets in a row. The RNA-GRN-WAR "block" was great in this regard, but MID-VOW was awful and felt like two filler sets back-to-back that had nothing to do with each other. ONE and/or MOM should have been two (real) sets, and I can't image folks would be terribly upset if we'd replaced MKM with OTJ to give this new apparently central plane a fuller story / exploration.

Want to have mechanical cohesion in standard and get the ability to evolve mechanics? Have a mechanic or two carry over between sets from time-to-time. Like the last example, the only time they've done this it was the worst possible version, with a whole year of MDFCs. Why can't we have Suspect continue into OTJ? Is there a reason Plot can't show up in the horror set later this year?

I see folks mad on Reddit about Kellan, but that's, like, what I want. Give us a year-long arc about him making friends and exploring new planes to find dear old dad mixed in with the overarching story.

Most block structures, especially once Mark Rosewater took over, were a desperate attempt to squeeze any amount of value from the format. In a game with the promise of the multiverse waiting to be explored, and the poor ability of Magic to tell three-act stories over cards unless it leads to the pseudo-destruction of a plane, I'm super happy we get to bounce around. I'd take the sloppy method they're doing now (Marchesa is indeed quite hard to justify, I barely got past two guild masters being part of the crew) to another Theros block or even a second Ixalan / Rivals mini-block any day.