General 2-3 Set Cubes

I've been strongly considering seperating my cube into 2/3 sets to be drafted one after another in a particular order. I have some ideas on how to split it up, but I'd like to discuss the advantages, disadvantages, and details.

Note that this can have some of the same effects as Jason's new 'polycubing'. Each pack will have 120 cards drafted in an 8 man draft. If you want to, say, increase your variety in planeswalkers without increasing planeswalker density, you could put all your walkers in a 150-180 card set, making it very unlikely for all of the to be in the draft.

I see this as a desirable effect for build-around-me cards.
In a standard draft, some of the B-A-M cards end up in later packs, often making them unplayable, and clogging packs.
If you put all of these cards in a 120 card set and draft it first, they no longer clog packs, but you lose some variety in decks, as all of the B-A-M cards will be picked fairly early every draft, and therefore built around every draft.
You can have the best of both worlds by putting all of those cards in a 180 card set, where about 2/3 of them will be seen each draft, and the rest won't clog packs later on.

First Set: Most of the build around me cards will go here. I will try to limit high pick value cards, leaving those for later in the draft where there's some tension between picking a bomb and picking something that fits your colors/curve/strategy.

Second Set: This set will be used for packs 2 and 3

Other things to consider:
Where to put Gold Cards
Where to put Colorless Cards
Where to put Fixing (shocks and fetches together/seperate?)
How to seperate sets between drafts

Also, fun little thing: If you put Cogwork Librarian in pack 1, and all of the bombs in pack 2/3, it gets better.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Obviously one of the disadvantages is sorting your cube after each draft. Maybe you can color code your cards or sleeves on the front side to make separating the three cube parts easier.

Another important thing is making sure your themes are interlocking. If your first pack offers only wildly diverging mechanics like affinity, storm and heroic, at least some of the picks in pack 2 and 3 won't be contested.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
When I first heard this idea, I initially didn't like it, but I've really come around on it. I want to draft my cube as is a bunch more first to learn about it better, but I am interested in doing something similar.

If your first pack pushes hard on the BAM cards, archetype staples and poisonous cards, I don't think you're going to lose much variety. I mean, you can't build around EVERYTHING and important redundancies might end up in undraftable splits. Just because you force Kalastria Highborn into pack 1 doesn't mean someone is going to go in on vampires, but having it end up in pack three pretty much guarantees they can't.

The question is what other cards to sprinkle in the first pack. The agnostic drafter needs something to take, but if its just general value good stuff I think that's problematic territory. I think this is a good spot for the "narrow" cards (like aggro filler, three color cards, ramp targets). Stuff that you isn't ideal in a goodstuff pile. If you want a goodstuff pile, you've still got 2 packs to do it and you can get creative with the narrower cards.

I've got a pile of random multicolor cards that are cool that I'd love to fit in, but don't justify a spot that would be perfect in this kind of design.