General 2021 Cube in Review

In conjunction with Lucky Paper's Year in Review for Cube (which I found it incredibly smart and insightful, particularly comments from our own @Jason Waddell and @Dom Harvey!!), I wanted to start our own thread here capturing our thoughts on the year we've had.

I'm eventually going to answer the questions in the article myself (plus make a top 10 list for the year), but in the meantime, I wanted to go through the most-cubed new cards of 2021 according to Cube Cobra:

1. Usher of the Fallen
Advantaged by its printing in Q1 and its ability to go into Peasant cubes, Usher of the Fallen is hard to argue with. As one of the premiere 1-drops in white, the Usher passed up long-time cube favorite Isamaru, Hound of Konda to become the 8th most cubed white one-drop creature in its first year of printing, even overtaking the dog when only examining cubes without rarity restrictions. I personally prefer the second point of toughness and edge Legendary-matters benefits to the Usher's token generation, but in terms of 1 MV 2/1s, it's hard to ignore the spirit, or the warriors it brings with it. The Boast ability is mostly a trap, making Usher play similarly to Doomed Traveler in the average case scenario, but the inoffensiveness and raw power as a t1 play of Usher of the Fallen makes it an understandable - if unexciting - top of the list.

2. Ignoble Hierarch
The least surprising entry on the list -- a multi-format Magic staple that's been favorited in cube lists of all shapes and sizes for a decade, but shifted to a color combination even more well-suited to thrive with a feisty accelerant of a one-drop. There's not much to complain about with the Hierarch, and its role in many cubes is already cherished based on its ranking on this list.

3. Abundant Harvest
First revealed as part of Strixhaven's Mystical Archives, Abundant Harvest is Green's premiere cantrip, and often more useful than blue's Ponders and Preordains in terms of getting what you need. Green's instants and sorceries have long been a place of sparseness in typical cube lists, with a fairly narrow set of effects to choose from at the most popular power-levels. However, in recent years, green's card selection has itself ramped up, and with the likes of Once Upon a Time, Grapple with the Past, and now Abundant Harvest, there's a great selection of tools available in the color's tool belt.

4. Dragon's Rage Channeler
DRC has been moving up the list faster than most, and with its ubiquity in Modern and Legacy it's not hard to understand why. Unlike its cousin Delver of Secrets, whose reputation in the cube community is substantially more modest, the Channeler is value-added without needing to "flip", providing a free surveil on the regular at just 1 MV. Surveilling isn't quite worth as much as drawing a card, but with the ubiquity of interesting cards that love to be in graveyards printed recently, it's a meaningful ability. Once you've hit delirium, the card turns into a serious threat, making DRC a one-drop you'd be happy to play early and late.

5. Prismari Command
It's Izzet Charm 2.0! This cycle of Commands had a well of interesting capabilities, but as with Kolaghan's Command before it, there was a clear leader of the pack this time around as well. Four abilities, all with unbelievable utility on their own, mix and match beautifully to create one of cube's most compelling Swiss army knife spells. This very well may be my favorite Izzet card for cube after the greatest thief in the multiverse.

6. Elite Spellbinder
PV's World Champ card, like the Brazilian himself, is impressive up and down. The reasons why PV has joined over 4,000 cubes are self-evident: like Clique, the information you get from your opponent, the disruption you can provide to their game plan, and the aggressively costed threat you get at the end of it make Elite Spellbinder a worthy inclusion into most white decks.

7. Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
The menace of Modern! The monkey is undoubtedly the king of Red 1s and the most powerful card in my own cube that was added this year. As I've gleefully been able to experience time and time again at modern events, an unopposed t1 Ragavan is not quite a death sentence but makes the games thrilling nonetheless. This is the maximum power you can get while still feeling "fair", but then again, how fair is it that Ragavan can essentially function as a Phyrexian Arena where your opponent is the one losing life at 1MV if unopposed?

8. Sedgemoor Witch
Black's take on Young Pyromancer truly makes you feel like you're getting your money's worth on that extra CMC -- with better stats, Menace, Ward, and slightly improved tokens, Sedgemoor Witch has already proven to be a high-pick build-around that inspires as many new archetypes as it fits snugly into. Needing a special token style just for her in most cube lists is her biggest downside, but that's unfortunately not new for black 3s.

9. Damn
One of my favorite cards printed this year. Exceptionally clever design and practical, even if it's just wrath #3 something like 80% of the time. The flexibility is all the more delightful here as both sides are highly desirable and fairly costed, as is the ability to Snapcaster it back as a targeted kill spell, as is the name and way that overload is employed. Love love love.

10. Expressive Iteration
Mr. Wadell's card of the year! This isn't your uncle's Divination -- Expressive Iteration is a multi-format staple for many reasons, and for cube, being one of the most interesting mini-games definitely makes it a strong contender for most lists beyond its flexible power level.

I haven't updated my own cube to VOW on CubeCobra yet, but after that, I'll have over 100 new cards first printed this year in my 720 list. What a year!

If you want to see all the cards printed this year in your cube on Cube Cobra, use this filter:

Code:
set:khm OR set:stx OR set:mh2 OR set:afr OR set:MID OR set:VOW OR set:c21 OR set:AFC OR set:VOC OR set:MIC OR set:KHC OR set:SLD is:firstprinting

landofMordor

Administrator
I like this concept of each answering the questions! Thanks for posting this.

Cube hit: Ward is an example of how there’s plenty of simple design space that can really help the game engine
Cube miss: tracking-heavy mechanics like those Dom and Jason mention in the original
Cube card of the year: Territorial Kavu duh
Cube set of the year: Strixhaven for being in b4 MH2 but having components of everything that made MH2 awesome.
Personal Level up: curating my cube by filling holes instead of finding room.

53/360 or 14.7% of my cube's core was printed this year. That's about expected, I'm running a lot of cards from Kaldheim and AFR mostly, plus a handful from MH2. And that's even trying not to change the core module much.

This year we got great cards for non-poisonous tribal, a focus on artifact tokens (especially treasure) and equipment.

We also got solid blue aggro, sacrifice cards, and finally new playable madness cards, filling a bunch of holes in hard-to-support archetypes.

Amazing year for cube options, might be the best since original Ravnica for my cube.

I like this concept of each answering the questions! Thanks for posting this.
I'll do this too!

Cube Hit: All of the incidental support for "spells matter," between great cheap spells and worthwhile payoffs has made it much easier to justify running high densities of redundant cantrips and burn in synergy formats without taking away from anything else.

Cube Miss: I thought Adventures in the Forgotten Realms was going to be a really cool, unique set. Instead it ended up being underpowered and very generic. Other than the inclusion of Beholders and a few random legends, I don't see how AFR couldn't have just been another Dominaria set. I wish they had gone deeper on the creatures and characters that make the Forgotten Realms unique instead of focusing on the generic "adventure party" trope space as much as they did.

Cube card of the year: Don't make me choose just one!

(And Wilfred Laurier)

Cube set of the year: While I think Modern Horizons 2 was the best Cube set pound for pound this year, I think Magic would be well serviced if every Standard set were of the quality of Midnight Hunt and Strixhaven. Both of those were very good sets with very good cards that didn't need to push power level too much to shine: WOTC just made good sets there.

Personal Level up: I finally figured out how to build the type of Cube I've always wanted. It took a while, but I'm glad I'm finally here.

Cube hit: New old border cards. Aesthetics matter.

Cube miss: Wordy mdfcs. I don't hate my players, thanks.

Cube set of the year: MH2 for card quality, Midnight Hunt as premier set, and TSR for the looks.

Cube cards of the year: Hmm, let me answer this a little more detailed.

I run 49 cards originally printed this year in my 680 main cube. Considering that I am one who tends to do slower, smaller changes, that's quite impressive actually. Here are the biggest hits for my lower power level cube:

Cube card of the year for me, strong but mostly scales with your 1-drops. This is a one card archetype comparable to Wildfire or Demonic Pact and every cube should at least give it a test run. Bonus points if your white section supports graveyard/lifegain themes, which makes this one even less parasitic, despite being such a buildaround.

This is probably red's best card draw spell not counting draw-seven's. It requires nothing more than a somewhat low curve, which most cubes tend to produce anyway these days. I think this right here is a sweet new tool that will be seen in cubes of various power levels for a long time.

So, the base 1-drop here isn't amazing, but anyone supporting Madness should rejoice. It's not quite Basking Rootwalla, but comes very close in utility and coolness, and even is in the best supported Madness color these days. I don't think a card being spoiled made me that happy ever before.

This one is so good. It can probably pass in all but the highest power levels. I okay'd it since green in my cube is supposed to have better creatures than the rest since it has basically no removal. Provisioner here supports ramp, landfall and lifegain themes in my cube while being perfectly fine in every other green deck.

Cards like Opt make for better magic, as they combat mana screw/flood and help players to find what they need. So, yeah, I'll take a slightly better version that also works with graveyard themes. Wouldn't you?

This lady seems underrated. She's a solid blink target that can make attacking akward, yeah, but her real value lies in control decks with boardwipes. She scries you towards your Rout and then refills your hand for the one-two-punch most players won't be able to come back from.

Speaking of Kaldheim legends, this lady isn't the perfect gold signpost for one but two archetypes, tokens and landfall. Every time I have her on the battlefield I further fall in love. Hope she likes me too.

I like card flow and the blink archetype. So white getting cheap cantrip creatures regularly now is right up my alley. This dwarf is probably the best one since the change, it even triggers lifegain stuff, but I also like Search Party Captain.

Cards like this are sweet. They are still useful witout a target and then feel less like a blowout if they destroy something, since you didn't just get the removal on etb or on a super cheap spell with upside. Just like Thrashing Brontodon in green, this dude is here to stay.

Edit, forgot the personal level up: I made my archetypes centered in one color (pivot) or supported in 3-4, to eliminate all virtual gold cards!

Edit 2, realized I didn't mention a black card. I guess my favorite is the evil Starfish. It's a great control/dredge tool and people love the humor.

I think however, black got the least impactful updates. We'll see what the future proves.

Last edited:
Hit: probably going to mirror the proliferation of treasures and other trinket tokens. A boon for lots of cube needs.

Miss: STX flip cards. Blech.

Set of the Year: Probably MH2. For my cube MID and VOW

Card of the year: Probably Consider? Such a great baseline cantrip that feeds into pretty much... everything. For me personally dryad's revival was a killer printing, helping tie up loose ends in my lands archetype and others.

Level up: figured out how to use Cockatrice so I don't stay completely isolated from playing the game. I'll count that as a win.

Hit: Incidental support for existing archetypes that couldn't quite get there before and more incidental graveyard hate stapled onto playable bodies. To make an archetype like U/R Artifacts a reality in a higher powered cube you needed cards that were playable on their own but would shine in a synergistic shell. A lot of them came with the original MH, but this time around there was a major boon in a card like Thought Monitor which gave them their own Mulldrifter variant that synergized with a whole host of different cards. Aside from that we got hole fillers like Flametongue Yearling as a scalable removable spell, Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia as additional tokens/Stax/Aggro support, Abundant Harvest to give Green its own Ponder-lite variant, etc. The second new development that I'm a fan of is the additional incidental hate for graveyards introduced via cards like Sungold Sentinel and Cemetery Gatekeeper. Having playable bodies attached to minor hate that lets fair decks have some game against a recursive or reanimator based strategy, or even just sniping something like a value flashback spell, is excellent from a gameplay perspective.

Miss: Double-sided cards, mostly Strixhaven as a whole. A set that was way too wordy with cards that are overly complex for no good reason and a whole aesthetic that felt super lame to me. Was never a fan of the Learn mechanic and for those that gave it a run I'd bet that the mechanic as a whole will be out of their environment within the next year or two. What a waste.

Set of the Year: Modern Horizons 2. A boon for cube and other casual formats, a plague for anything Constructed.

Card of the Year: For utility Consider and Prismari Command are up there, but for personal favorites I'm going with Elite Spellbinder and Master of Death. Spellbinder is a great addition to pretty much every W/x archetype in my cube providing disruption for aggro, an evasive body for something more midrange-y, and also being a hit off Collected Company at 3 mana. Master is similarly capable of slotting into a variety of U/B strategies providing a nice recursive body for slower games looking to branch into the late game while providing a means of filtering cards and/or pitching bodies to reanimate with the Surveil 2. Magma Jet has shown me over the years how powerful digging two deep can be and I'm happy to say that Master has been even more impressive in the few games I've seen it played.

Level Up: Picking up more foils and upgrades inching closer to cube completion. Only a handful of older cards left to track down, hopefully in the next year or two.

I basically eliminated my pair archetypes by either expanding them into a third color and/or focus them into a single main color.

Before I had {W}{B} lifelink with both colors having equal support. Now I reduced the support in black, cut the payoffs ("whenever you gain life..." and such) as well as some of the enablers. Meanwhile I expanded the theme in white in enablers a d payoffs AND added more lifegain sources to green. Now you can draft mono {W} lifegain as well as {G/W} or {W/B} lifegain. That means that even the few narrow cards that are sometimes necessary (Ajani's Pridemate) aren't virtual Orzhov cards anymore.

Since the beginning of the last years I did similar things to most of my archetypes. {R/G} Madness is now centered in red with support in green, blue and black. {G/U} Landfall is now centered in green with support in blue, red and white and so on. But not all became pivot archetypes. {W/U} Blink for example became esper blink with the support of some kind ninjas.

At this point, only my 20 gold cards are acting like gold cards in the draft pretty much. That adds variety and makes drafting more interesting.

Enjoyed the article.

Cube hit:
The year of the one drops.

Powerful cantrips and creatures that fit in multiple power levels and help enable smooth early and late gameplay. These cards aren't the most flashy, but are role players that enable the kind of gameplay I like.

Miss:
Card complexity. I am not a fan of overly complex mechanics like the double-sided cards. Cube is already a complex format and it's rough for less enfranchised players to deal with wordiness and complexity. So while some designs would be good fits for my cube (Halvar, God of Battle or Valki, God of Lies), I decided to omit them. The contrast is pretty stark when compared to other hits like Fateful Absence which are simple and easy to pars.

Set of the Year:
Modern Horizons 2. For my power level, the set was bonkers and opened up a ton of possibilities in regards to archetype overlap.

Card of the Year:
This one is tough, but if I had to chose one it would be

A cross between artifacts and lands allowing Green to jump in on the archetype. Pumps out tokens that encourage you to go wide (Esika's Chariot in Green shines here as well) and even a tutor for a clutch artifact. All while taking a land slot and giving a great target for Elvish Reclaimer, Golos and Knight of the Reliquary.

Level Up:
Finally getting a handle on the type of environment and play patterns I want for my cube.
Before this year, I was hedging between a power max cube to please my drafters and a synergy cube for myself. Now, and thanks to the new releases, I've been able to get all the synergy I want, while still keeping a high power level.