A better way to communicate live than skype

I've used an IRC client around 15 years now. It's the best way to talk to people live via internet in my opinion. Now there is a client that i found called Discord which is basically an IRC client, but much easier to use and it has many features the IRC client doesn't have.

This isn't only useful for you guys here because you can chat live about stuff, but also because you can also setup speech communication with the software as easily as you join the chat part. Just click a voice channel and you are in! Click again and you are out. You are always in the server even if you don't have the thing open, so you don't miss the chit chat people are having there.

What do you think, should we give it a whirl ? I think it could be awesome to host drafts and stuff for everyone here.

Link here (it's free by the way): https://discordapp.com/

Chris Taylor

Contributor
the wow community has really embraced this as the new talk server thing, but I haven't tried it.

I know skype is shit for security wise, but as a professed layman of this sort of thing I kinda don't care.
The one reason I had to switch off skype (It minimizes instead of closing) is actually fixed in the options.

Anyone who cares more than me wanna weigh in?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
All I want is a little, clean, light chat client that looks like this, except slightly nicer, aesthetically. I thought IRC could accomplish that but everything I tried was such a mess.
LUNmF7N.png

Discord is good and cool. I'm chaitealatte.

VVV I'm almost def forgetting some numbers after that. I'll just join the group when I get back from pre-term vacay.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Just clicked James's link and signed up, love that it works in a browser without needing a download. This already seems way better than Skype. Thanks for the suggestion, Meltyman!

...Do people communicate through Skype here?

I use Skype a -lot.- Gonna try this new thing out, but my Skype username is varroq-ex-valerian if anyone wants to chat.