Sets (AFR) Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Previews- Dripping with Flavor, and Excess Words!

Before previews for Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I’m only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:
• a new enchantment subtype
• a card granting -11/-11
• a creature with a death trigger that make an equipment token
• a legendary creature that makes a legendary Hamster creature token
• something only seen previously in Un-sets comes to black border
• an artifact that’s a musical instrument that creates harmony counters
• a card that can keep your opponent from winning the game
• an ability that cares about attacking with a certain amount of power of creatures
• cards that let you decide where the story goes
• a card that creates a legendary creature token named Vecna

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
• “Enchanted permanent is a Treasure artifact”
• “Ward – discard a card.”
• “Exchange your hand and library”
• “Skeletons, Vampires and Zombies”
• “Spend this mana only to cast Dragon spells or activate abilities of Dragons.”
• “for each different mana value among nonland cards in your graveyard.”
• “Then if you have fewer than three cards in hand, draw cards equal to the difference.”
• “Whenever you cast a creature spell that doesn’t share a creature type with a creature you control or a creature card in your graveyard,”
• “You may cast [THIS CREATURE’S NAME] from your graveyard if a creature not named [THIS CREATURE’S NAME] died this turn.”
• “When its power become 20 this way,”

Finally, here are some card type lines in the set:
• Creature – Dwarf Citizen
• Creature – Tiefling Wizard
• Creature – Human Elf Monk
• Creature – Elf Spider
• Creature – Gnome Warlock
• Creature – Halfling Rogue
• Creature – Bird Bear
• Legendary Creature – Dragon Knight
• Legendary Creature – Devil God
• Legendary Creature – Beholder

I want as many alternative frames as possible, as just by chance they have to look better than the m15 frame in 9 out of 10 cases.
Oh yeah please, the m15 frame is the ugliest ever. I prefer the amonkhet invocation to that

But maybe this new one is worse. I don't know how I feel

I'm regretting now that I've only played D&D like ten times. It was a ot of fun, but not enough for me to really dive into the lore. I only know a few things that appeared in our beginners set, and most of them were your everyday fantasy tribes.

I do not really know any of the lore lmao. I've only played custom campaigns that didn't touch on canon lore at all, besides whatever comes out of monster descriptions etc.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Noah Caldwell Gervais does a good series retrospective if you want to dive into the games strengths and weaknesses, plot and impact on the medium without playing....what 4 separate 200 hour RPGs?
It's not short, but I highly recommend him. Wonderful human with a knack for narration and a solid grasp of game design.
Link for the intrigued

Now to be fair, these teasers are always a bit weird.

“You may cast [THIS CREATURE’S NAME] from your graveyard if a creature not named [THIS CREATURE’S NAME] died this turn.”
• a creature with a death trigger that make an equipment token
• “Ward – discard a card.”
These all seem sweet gameplay wise

• Creature – Bird Bear
There's an owlbear!

I am intrigued what this means

I am intrigued what this means

Ooo that seems interesting!

Clues in the Woods - 1U
Instant - Mystery Wilderness

Investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with “{2}, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.”)
Advance the plot. (Search your library for a Mystery and/or Wilderness card. Reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.)

hoo boy i really wanna see the “enter the dungeon” and “choose your own adventure” mechanics. even if it’s pretty cheesy, it’s gonna be fun

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Ooo that seems interesting!

Clues in the Woods - 1U
Instant - Mystery Wilderness

Investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with “{2}, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.”)
Advance the plot. (Search your library for a Mystery and/or Wilderness card. Reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.)
They did say there was a new Enchantment subtype. Maybe this is closer to reality than you think

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Never played Baldur's Gate, but BG3 was made by Larian, who does the Divinity series that I love, so I might check it out some day.
I am very much looking forward to the finished game. I haven't pick up BG3 yet, because I'm not the kind of player to play through the story twice, and the beta version doesn't include all chapters yet, as I understood it.

Kinda compareable to learn, as this will probably be a great tool for limited as well, but it's so much extra complexity for a pretty parasitic mechanic. At least this time we don't need A+B.

Also, some of these rooms barely make any sense, flavorwise. Why do all the creatures I'm running into in the dungeon suddenl appear on my site of the battlefield?

What in gosh darn flippin tarnation is this mechanic....... It's cool, but man does it add complexity to individual cards. I guess it makes a venture creature have this cool cascade of various triggers, so Nadaar does [insert dungeon thing] on ETB or attack, instead of the same thing each time.

I dunno. Cool. Weird. Complicated.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Evolving-Wilds-classic-module-AFR-672.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The dungeon mechanic makes me feel irrationally angry.
I'm the absolute opposite. This is a nightmare for people with analysis paralysis, but I fricking love the mechanic! Provided you can venture into a dungeon multiple times a turn, the mechanic can be pretty strong too! It helps a lot that you get the dungeons for free, and that you get a lot of options. Should provide some sweet, sweet gameplay!

That butt-ugly dungeon module showcase frame though... : puke :

The one thing I find really cool about dungeons is that the player can choose which direction to go on the dungeon when venturing it.

Also I find it pretty strange we do not have a card type on the dungeon cards. Example: Nowhere on Tomb of Annihilation does it say that it is a dungeon.