Sets (AFR) Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Previews- Dripping with Flavor, and Excess Words!

Much like Strixhaven, this set looks like it'll be mostly a pass for me. I'm not a fan of the flavor words or whatever you call them, they just read very tacky to me. Like @Velrun mentioned earlier, this feels like a Secret Lair stretched over an actual set. That's not bad in a vacuum, but it is a turnoff for people like me who have zero connection to D&D.
Huh, that's funny, I feel the complete opposite way.

I've never played D&D before in my life, and I didn't know a Flumph from a Forgotten Realm before the preview season for this set. But, it seems like they've used the source material to make some really flavorful and interesting designs. I agree that the flavor ability words are a bit clunky on some cards, although it looks like they will actually help to improve comprehension on some of the more complex cards like the Gelatinous Cube. This is slightly anecdotal, but I know I would not remember what that card did yet if it weren't for the unique "Engluf/Dissolve" ability words.

This set appears to have a lot of elements designed for non-purist Vorthos type players who will appreciate the references and flavor even if they don't play DnD. If you have a Vorthos streak, you're going to be more likely to enjoy this set and all of it's quirks, if not you're probably going to like it less.

Very pushed. I dont think I would wait for "synergies" before putting this in a Bx deck. Synergy with removal isnt really synergy, and you dont even need to wait for removal to make it good. Just attack with stuff and let creature combat do the rest. Probably above the power level that I want.
Having synergy such as.. having creatures in the deck and/or cards that can destroy creatures?
See, I think those observations are power-level dependent. Most decks are not going to be in the market for a four mana 5/2 flash flying that enters the battlefield tapped on its own merits. The recursion ability has to matter for this card to be good in most environments. The problem is, it is very expensive to re-animate this card if you have to spend additional mana in order to facilitate that line of play consistently. In addition, there might be turns when a creature died where it would be more beneficial to cast another spell, or this card's owner is tapped out. I know a lot of designers with faster Cubes aren't considering this card for that very reason: 4 mana can be a lot if you have to pay it multiple times. Now, slower Cubes, the scenarios I outlined won't be as much of an issue. In environments where players regularly get to 6 or 7 mana, it can be easier to facilitate turn cycles where casting Ebondeath is reasonably easy. The combination of more mana, more cards seen, and more time in the game makes re-casting this guy several times a legitimate game-ending threat.

My evaluation of the card is based on my current Cube project, which is somewhere between the two extremes I outlined above. I have lots of different archetypes that can use Ebondeath, such as Esper Dragons, Rakdos Aggro, Abzan Midrange, and various other Bw and Bg strategies that could definitely use a big recursive threat to help end the game. The problem is that a 4-mana creature that dies to a Shock variant isn't good enough to be worth running on its own merit. You have to be able to re-use this thing for it to be worthwhile in the environment I'm crafting. In that case, you need to be in a shell with lots of cheap removal or sacrifice outlets or even just things to do on the opponent's turn in order to make Ebondeath worth playing over something else. You're not putting Ebondeath in your Esper deck over Primordial Mist unless you can really abuse it for card advantage.

In short, Ebondeath's synergy requirement is speed and power-level dependent. Fast Cubes are going to need ways to make this work consistently, slow Cubes won't.

This set appears to have a lot of elements designed for non-purist Vorthos type players who will appreciate the references and flavor even if they don't play DnD. If you have a Vorthos streak, you're going to be more likely to enjoy this set and all of it's quirks, if not you're probably going to like it less.

I'd actually go with the opposite. I'm not exactly a hardcore Vorthos, but I definitely pay attention to the story and appreciate references more than the average player. I like Magic flavor and references when it pertains to things within the game via cards like Deicide or Crux of Fate with references to events, or something like Feldon of the Third Path or That Which Was Taken as callbacks to characters and story beats. If the lore is established within Magic then that's cool with me, however I don't have any investment or familiarity in D&D so it's just not resonant at all. It just feels like extra clutter and reads like a custom set posted on Reddit ala Stars Wars or LOTR. It's also why I've never really been a fan of Un-Sets as they've always felt kinda tacky and Magic adjacent to me.

Explicit references with card names and the flavor words that aren't familiar or resonant within a game I've been playing for like 8 years is a turnoff to me. I'm fine with all that in something like a Secret Lair, alternate card skins ala Godzilla or a supplemental set, but I really dislike this taking up a "real" set slot for the year.

It's cool though, Modern Horizons 2 was pretty much everything I wanted as a cube designer and we've got Innistrad 3 this Fall which is sure to be a hit. Taking a break every few sets is alright with me given how much they're pumping out yearly nowadays.

At least tell us what you don't hate ;)
MH2. Although, holy shit, the prices on some of those are tough!
It's cool though, Modern Horizons 2 was pretty much everything I wanted as a cube designer and we've got Innistrad 3 this Fall which is sure to be a hit. Taking a break every few sets is alright with me given how much they're pumping out yearly nowadays.
I'm a bit overwhelmed with MH2 right now, as I'm intending to come back with a redesign post-COVID. MH2 put so many goodies for so many themes. I'd have the redesign done if MH2 hadn't spawned 47 new lists in my CubeCobra.

Gelatinous Cube is a really clever design. Nicely interactive. I also like Dawnbringer Cleric as a handy utility card.

Red artifacts are getting some handy pieces these days. I like Dueling Rapier and Plundering Barbarian as cards that can support that theme but also slot into other decks.

oswaldfiddlebender.jpg

"Oswald Fiddlebender"
1W
Legendary Creature - Gnome Artificer
W, T, Sacrifice an artifact: Search your library for an artifact card whose mana value is equal to the mana value of the sacrificed artifact plus 1, then put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle you library. Activate only as a sorcery.
Illus. Steven Beledin 2/2
@Morphling

oswaldfiddlebender.jpg

"Oswald Fiddlebender"
1W
W, T, Sacrifice an artifact: Search your library for an artifact card whose mana value is equal to the mana value of the sacrificed artifact plus 1, then put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle you library. Activate only as a sorcery.
@Morphling

Wow. Love this.

Wow. Love this.
Pretty relieved they didn't hit it with a
Fiddle - Effect
Or something.

A nice, regular artifact payoff.

EDIT: Fuck, I didn't notice it does have that because the foreign text wasn't italic and I glanced at it.

Last edited:
sphereofannihilation.jpg

What do we think of this in a format that highly values exiling? How bad is the "wait a turn" aspect?
To me it’s pretty comparable to a black

it will likely kill the higher cost stuff “faster” than ratchet bomb too, it clears all those pesky tokens, AND it clears the gravecrawlers. I think that this card is way better than it looks.
If you have a lot of artifact removal in your cube Ratchet Bomb will be more consistent with removing tokens, but otherwise I would prefer the Sphere in a control and midrange deck. It’s a great control card, and it could deny their whole turn since they don’t want to play into it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
More spoilers showing that they are going ham with the ability words. I actually like this quite a lot. Bouncing a nonland is a perfectly good baseline, but the option to sneak in an "when deal combat damage" trigger or to turn a creature into a lethal blow through blockers is very nice.
View attachment 4612
Oh, I really like this! Serviceable bounce spell and ninja enabler in one!

To me it’s pretty comparable to a black

it will likely kill the higher cost stuff “faster” than ratchet bomb too, it clears all those pesky tokens, AND it clears the gravecrawlers. I think that this card is way better than it looks.
If you have a lot of artifact removal in your cube Ratchet Bomb will be more consistent with removing tokens, but otherwise I would prefer the Sphere in a control and midrange deck. It’s a great control card, and it could deny their whole turn since they don’t want to play into it.

It kills everything equal to or less than the number counters which is a big difference than ratchet bomb fwiw

I particularly like this with the higher cmc delve creatures, but in general this seems like it could be a very good Damnation alternative for those that are looking for something slightly lower powered….It might be slightly better than Languish imo

I just don’t love that it exiles itself

i gotta be honest, i liked sphere until i saw it delays the exile until your next upkeep… that’s not where you wanna be on casting wraths

i gotta be honest, i liked sphere until i saw it delays the exile until your next upkeep… that’s not where you wanna be on casting wraths

end of turn would’ve been nice….it’d still be fair as it wouldn’t impact combat on your turn and you couldn’t follow it up with a threat same turn

Zariel-Archduke-of-Avernus-AFR-265.jpg

I ran Descent Into Avernus last fall, and this is sexy as fuck. I have a soft spot for combat focused walkers.

Speaking of ninja enablers....

Krydle-of-Baldurs-Gate-AFR-265.jpg

This is just neat:

Dragon-Turtle-AFR-265.jpg

I have to admit, I really love the ability names. They really help solidify what the card is actually doing. I'd be fine seeing them outside of a D&D set.

oswaldfiddlebender.jpg

"Oswald Fiddlebender"
1W
@Morphling

20210630_075929.jpg

Cool card, but this is all I could think of when I saw the name. To weigh in on the ability names, I think they're going to really help newer players much more than us enfranchised players because they make it so much easier to grok mechanics--"oh, Pack Tactics is how they're representing things working together!" In that sense, I think it's a really smart use of design space in a core set. That said, it's definitely a little clunky. I'm still on the fence.

The manlands are great, the dragons are surprisingly good, the modal spells are sweet, especially the blue one, the red walker seems like it's going to be my favorite non-Chandra red walker, and a lot of the uncommons are nicely tuned. I'm pretty excited for this set, especially as someone who's looking to streamline their cube.

Last edited:
It kills everything equal to or less than the number counters which is a big difference than ratchet bomb fwiw

I particularly like this with the higher cmc delve creatures, but in general this seems like it could be a very good Damnation alternative for those that are looking for something slightly lower powered….It might be slightly better than Languish imo

I just don’t love that it exiles itself
Yeah it's a hard card to evaluate, the Ratchet Bomb example was more of something to compare it to, not something of "look at this it's the exact same!" Which obviously it isn't :p
It's a ritual of soot that hits planeswalkers with the added benefit of exiling graveyards, but the added cost of waiting a turn (and possibly getting denied by a red player).
Is that good? It's okay. But it's also much more flexible than that example.
To me, having a 1 cost "destroy all creature tokens next turn" can be really powerful in some environments, in others it'll likely be meh, but because it's so splashable I think that it'll find a home somewhere.

I would say it's worse than pernicious deed but better than jank like illness in the ranks and virulent plague
(man that's a pretty wide margin, I think I'm safe :cool:)

1625056854698.png

See, I really want more enchantment removal in black. But did it have to be a 6-drop?

1625057011659.png

This might be the least parasitic goblin lord so far. It's a bit pushed, but I think still fine for me.