General Apparently we're playing a very expensive version of Roshambo?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Aggro > Control > Midrange > Aggro ?

What is the point of cubing if only 33% of the games are worth playing?

Shouldn't the point be to ensure that there are interesting matchups regardless of what archtype you play?

Do people actually design with this in mind?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I absolutely do not buy into this notion at all. If I did, I certainly wouldn't bother with the work, research and expense involved in cube maintenance.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Bro you still need another syllable! I dunno, CML's poem loses its potency any way I try to change that middle line.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
It's like the wheelbarrow poem, but better because William Carlos Williams never had the decency to post in one of my threads.

Anyway, I'm off the throw a functional reprint of arc lightning into my singleton cube so that I don't have to worry about my not-flanking jackal pups ever being involved in an interesting game.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
If only we had such a card....
Image.ashx

I've been hearing so much of this trying to get people to give aggro an easier time in their grim monolith cubes. No, midranged is supposed to beat aggro dude. Yeah well you seriously favor midranged by making ramp incredibly powerful and accessible, and then putting in a lot of cards in your environment that are maindeckable on their own but also just +++Value vs 2/1 decks.

And it's not like we are playing a draft format where control is excited to pick up the midranged treats, ramp and sweet kitchen finks etc. urg.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I've been hearing so much of this trying to get people to give aggro an easier time in their grim monolith cubes. No, midranged is supposed to beat aggro dude. Yeah well you seriously favor midranged by making ramp incredibly powerful and accessible, and then putting in a lot of cards in your environment that are maindeckable on their own but also just +++Value vs 2/1 decks.

And it's not like we are playing a draft format where control is excited to pick up the midranged treats, ramp and sweet kitchen finks etc. urg.
So, I was messing around with my Sligh Curve cube idea as well as looking at cards that enable heroic and mulling if and how in the hell this could ever work when I was struck with a revelation.

There is just way too much redundancy in those sweet, sweet middle casting cost value cards. These decks can afford mana bases to draw from three colors. They have, like, literally 50+ options to fill 5 deck slots. If you want to crush the roshambo paradigm, you need to thin out those cards and replace some of them with more situational cards like combat tricks and weird archtype anchors. Or cards that don't have the same level of guaranteed value. I've been playing Giant Growth and its ilk forever and I can't help but appreciate how it has been a subtle, but crucial peace in the puzzle.

Hedging bets on powering agro through by stuffing the cube with cards that don't let the opponent play the game is both unreliable and dull.

CML

Contributor
the sligh curve
by: CML

---

PLAY ALL DAY ON A DRINK OF RUM
(top 8 come an' me wan' go home)
STACK MY DECK TIL THE TOP 8 COME
(top 4 come an' me wan' go home)
ONE DROP TWO DROP THREE DROP FOUR!
(top 2 come an' me wan' go home)
FIVE DROP SIX DROP SEVEN DROP MORE!