General Art Appreciation Thread

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So not everyone around here uses ranom art on the internet for cards, but I figure all of you can appreciate some of the cool ass stuff I find :D

Here's some bomb ass shit:

"Beneath" by Abrar Khan
abrar-khan-beneath.jpg

Reminds me of Dandân, but this is probably close enough to magic's current art style to not feel out of place.

I am Providence by Guillem H. Pongiluppi
guillem-h-pongiluppi-guillemhp-cthulhu-rise.jpg

Who doesn't love a good cuthulu? This also fits in nicely with current mtg art.

Water Colossus - Alex Kintner
water_colossus_by_farkwhad-d3itl81.png

ITS A GIANT WATER ELEMENTAL SNAKE THAT SHOOTS LAZERS! I WANT ONE!

"Mermaid" by Sergey Kolesov
sergey-kolesov-mermaid-sharpen.jpg

Here's more Dandan perspective, but a different mood. (Can you tell I like that card yet? :p)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Peter Mohrbacher's Angelarium project has been some of my favorite fantasy art. He has dozens of these on his website.
<Snip>

There's so many good pieces in this series. I personally love the drowned one, and I've been trying to get it on some card in my cube for a while now :D

Quick question: Could we maybe note on each artwork if the artwork was actually used by Wizards of the Coast for a Magic the Gathering card or if the artwork instead was for a different project not Magic-related?

Was these two used for Magic?
1. The Sandara crystal head soldiers
2. The god fist

So not everyone around here uses ranom art on the internet for cards, but I figure all of you can appreciate some of the cool ass stuff I find :D

Here's some bomb ass shit:

"Beneath" by Abrar Khan
abrar-khan-beneath.jpg

Reminds me of Dandân, but this is probably close enough to magic's current art style to not feel out of place.

"Mermaid" by Sergey Kolesov
sergey-kolesov-mermaid-sharpen.jpg

Here's more Dandan perspective, but a different mood. (Can you tell I like that card yet? :p)

These art pieces are great, but these are literally my nightmare. When I was in either pre-K or kindergarten as a child, audiobooks on tape were a common teaching tool and I remember my teacher playing and going through this book with us where a kid went all around NYC and saw dinosaurs everywhere. I think it was called Patrick's Dinosaurs or something like that. Anyway, I remember there was a part of the story where he's on a boat on a river, and there's some dinosaur swimming underneath him. The music from that audiobook that has scarred me for life, I just remember it being really really scary and unsettling, as if it were sneaking up on him or he was coming to the realization of OH FUCK THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE WATER.

I'm sure if I go back and read it now or hear the audio it's super tame, but in the back of my subconscious it's like some Godzilla about to erupt from the water's surface type shit. Eldritch abominations? Okay. Zombies and gross looking monsters? Cool. Giant fish underneath my boat? Get me the fuck out of here. There is nothing that freaks me out more than a large body of some creature being underneath me if I'm on a boat. It's so unsettling.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Quick question: Could we maybe note on each artwork if the artwork was actually used by Wizards of the Coast for a Magic the Gathering card or if the artwork instead was for a different project not Magic-related?

Was these two used for Magic?
1. The Sandara crystal head soldiers
2. The god fist

Nah. The sandara art was inspired by kaladesh, but isn't actually in any art or promo materials.
God Fist Lee Sin is League of Legends artwork

This is more of a request than an art appreciation:

Does anyone have some good pictures of coins? Not real life coins but fantasy world ones.

I need infinite many unique pictures :p Think of old video games you used to play, board games etc.

Thank you <3