Ascension

Introduction to Ascension

Link to the starter set in the cube:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/8vdn?view=spoiler

A DnD inspired cube where the players level up throughout the tournament. Here are some buzz words you'll find in this cube:
Adventures, dungeons and caves.
Inns and taverns.
Rumours, quests.
Party and heroes.
Maps and scrolls.
Treasure hunting and exploration.
Traps, curses and dangers on the road.
Foes of evil minions and scary dragons.
Loot and treasures.
Levering up classes and players with experience.

How the tournament works:
A normal draft for 8 players using the list above
Game 1
Each player gains new cards to add to their existing card pool. The new cards are higher power level. Players may sideboard
Game 2.
Each player gains new cards to add to their existing card pool. The new cards are higher power level. Players may sideboard
Game 3
etc.
etc.

How players gain new cards:
Step 1: 20 random cards are given to each player at random from the corresponding tier.
Step 2: 100 cards are placed face up on the table. Lowest ranked player first picks a card ULD (Utility Land Draft) style. Second lowest ranked player picks a card. etc. etc. until all players have picked. Repeat this full cycle five times. (8x5 = 40 picks total)
= This means each player gain a total of 25 cards new cards. The players may reconstruct their deck before going into the next game.

--------

What's special about this cube?
Rarity restricted (48 rares, 96 uncommons, 192 commons)
No non-hybrid multicolored cards
No planeswalkers
No shuffling (With very few exceptions)
No keyword cards without reminder texts (With very few exceptions)
Low complexity cards

Booster packs are rarity seeded. Each pack contains:
2 rares
4 uncommons
8 commons

Packs are color seeded. Each pack contains:
1 {W} White common
1 {U} Blue common
1 {B} Black common
1 {R} Red common
1 {G} Green common
9 random cards

Color and rarity distribution in details:
{W} White: 24 commons, 16 uncommons & 8 rares
{U} Blue: 24 commons, 16 uncommons & 8 rares
{B} Black: 24 commons, 16 uncommons & 8 rares
{R} Red: 24 commons, 16 uncommons & 8 rares
{G} Green: 24 commons, 16 uncommons & 8 rares
{W}/{U} Azorius Hybrid: 2 commons
{U}/{B} Dimir Hybrid: 2 commons
{B}/{R} Rakdos Hybrid: 2 commons
{R}/{G} Gruul Hybrid: 2 commons
{G}/{W} Selesnya Hybrid: 2 commons
{W}/{B} Orzhov Hybrid: 2 commons
{B}/{G} Golgari Hybrid: 2 commons
{G}/{U} Simic Hybrid: 2 commons
{U}/{R} Izzet Hybrid: 2 commons
{R}/{W} Boros Hybrid: 2 commons
{c} Colorless: 19 commons, 16 uncommons & 5 rares
{0} Lands: 33 commons, 0 uncommons & 3 rares

= 240 mono, 20 hybrid, 50 colorless & 26 lands
= 192 commons, 96 uncommon and 48 rares.
= 336 cards in total

--------

Some of the ideas behind this cube is:

- Players are somewhat even playing field each round. As your cards get better, so does your opponents. You can bank your victory points but the next game will once again be fair.

- Players' decks are new each round. The decks evolve over time. Each new game feels exciting. Going from one round to another you might have the same deck with a few upgrades. Or you might have switches out a lot. We often see players completely change the colors of the decks.

- The player who got a perfect draft initially is rewarded for a brief period of time. But they're not auto-winning the tournament because the new cards players are given are of a higher tier than the original perfectly drafted deck. The tension is real and you can never rest on auto pilot.

Last edited:
Cube List

Here follows a section with links to all sections of the cube. The cube has a starter set and plenty of higher tier cards.

Ascension Starter Set:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/8vdn?view=spoiler
Rarity restricted (48 rares, 96 uncommons, 192 commons)
No non-hybrid multicolored cards
No planeswalkers
No battles
No shuffling
No keyword cards without reminder texts
Low complexity cards

No advanced custom cards. The only customs allowed are tweaks to existing cards or cycles being completed

Level 1:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/23543?view=spoiler
Rarity is unrestricted
Multicolored cards are introduced
Shuffling is introduced

Battles are introduced
Complexity raised to medium
Moderately supports the themes from the starter set

Heavily supports new themes
Custom cards are unrestricted

Level 2:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/1vbcu?view=spoiler
Complexity is unrestricted (Cards may refer to other cards like You Line Up the Shot)
Minimally supports the themes from the starter set
Moderately supports the themes from Level 1

Level 3:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/6vzd?view=spoiler
Planeswalkers are introduced
Minimally supports the themes from Level 1

Level 4:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/kh7s?view=spoiler

Level 5:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/g37t?view=spoiler
Small set
Cards are no longer picked from a large pool of 100 cards
Each player chooses two cards from a random pool of three

----------------

Tokens of Ascension starter set:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/ll2x?view=spoiler

Tokens of Ascension Level 1:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/ll2x?view=spoiler

Tokens of Level 2:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/30wet?view=spoiler

Tokens of Level 3:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/391s7?view=spoiler

Tokens of Level 4:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/ezpy?view=spoiler

----------------

Basic Land Box:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/rhz?view=spoiler

Last edited:
Themes

Each color is aimed to have two major themes (Something you can reliably draft in the color)
Each color is aimed to have few minor themes (1 or 2 cards, just to spice up the color with a mini combo)

{W} White
Modify
Venture into the Dungeon
Minor spice: Magecraft Prowess
Minor spice: Humans tribal

{U} Blue
Ninjutsu
Madness (Cards that support madness and can be the pay-off but not actual madness.)
Minor spice: Artifacts
Minor spice: Magecraft Prowess

{B} Black
Artifacts
Madness and Blood tokens to support madness and power artifacts
Minor spice: Aristocrats
Minor spice: Venture into the Dungeon

{R} Red
Magecraft Prowess
Madness and Blood tokens to support madness
Minor spice: Modify
Minor spice: Vampire tribal

{G} Green
Modify
Tokens
Minor spice: Coven
Minor spice: Graveyard

{W}{U}{B}{R}{G} All colors have
Gates synergy
Adventures
Modal dual faced spell lands
Learn & Lesson
Party tribal
Minor spice: Human & non-Human tribal

About Tribal in Ascension
I think party is interesting for several reasons. One is that it is actually four different creature types instead of one. And it is classes instead of races which is also a bit different from what we are use to. This has no actual implications in Magic but it does create a situation where you can have a Human Rogue and a Faerie Wizard be part of the same tribal. It feels a bit like a collector items because you want one of each type. Or as many different ones as you can get. Finally I enjoy that all colors have equal good access to the tribal so I have chosen for it to be the tribal of the cube. We also have a minor subtheme of Dragons but they only have three payoff cards.

1 - 2 - 3

We have a decent amount of mechanics that help the game keep moving forward even with bad draws or helps the player construct the deck a bit easier. Mechanics that gives the players something to do even in a game stall.
- Foretell
- Flashback
- Adventure
- Spell/lands from Zendikar Rising
- Learn cards from Strixhaven
- Cycling
- Hybrid cards & colorless cards

Lands
The concept of Gates in the starter set was that you could filter your mana base with Gates or with better lands. But if you chose the worse Gate lands you could pick up a little synergy.

----------------

Some of the appealing play patterns:

- Foretell is my set's morph. I want a decent amount so the opponent can't predict with certainty what the hidden spell is.

- The adventure mechanic are creatures with spells attached to help the Magecraft/Prowess theme. Adventure creatures can also be returned to the hand with ninjutsu and be cast again for both the spell and the creature.

- Some of the spell/lands modal dual faced cards from Zendikar Rising can turn an abundant land into a useful spell for Magecraft/Prowess.

- Blue can ninjutsu attacking creatures to return creatures with ETB abilities to the hand or creatures with adventure. When casting the adventure spell again, magecraft prowess triggers again.

- Learn cards can either fetch a Lesson for Magecraft/Prowess or can loot to trigger a draw and discard for cards like Ominous Seas and Kitchen Imp.

- Karoo Bounce lands can return a modal dual faced spell/land back to the hand in order to cast the spell in the late game.

Last edited:
This a really cool concept and I love to see the alters.

Some comments/questions:

1. I was looking at Level 2 and 3 and only saw lands. I imagine you are updating this as time allows?

2. Speaking of lands, I saw Urza's Saga and Ancient Tomb on level 3. From my experience in my own cube, They are a lot more powerful than the other lands in this tier and would be more in line with the power of level 4. I would probably switch the Mishra's Factory and Mutavault down a tier to free up the space.

Level 4

1. Blue has a spells/prowess payoffs, but has very few high power spells at this tier. Are the spells in another tier?

2. I've found Arcane Savant to be very very powerful (level 4.5 I guess in your classification).

3. Nephalia Drownyard seems weaker than other multicolored cards and doesn't really fit the themes you've listed above.

4. I am surprised to see 2 6 mana walkers in Golgari, as that guild has a bunch of interesting and synergistic pieces at lots of power levels.

Thanks for sharing your cube!

This a really cool concept and I love to see the alters.

Some comments/questions:

1. I was looking at Level 2 and 3 and only saw lands. I imagine you are updating this as time allows?

2. Speaking of lands, I saw Urza's Saga and Ancient Tomb on level 3. From my experience in my own cube, They are a lot more powerful than the other lands in this tier and would be more in line with the power of level 4. I would probably switch the Mishra's Factory and Mutavault down a tier to free up the space.

Level 4

1. Blue has a spells/prowess payoffs, but has very few high power spells at this tier. Are the spells in another tier?

2. I've found Arcane Savant to be very very powerful (level 4.5 I guess in your classification).

3. Nephalia Drownyard seems weaker than other multicolored cards and doesn't really fit the themes you've listed above.

4. I am surprised to see 2 6 mana walkers in Golgari, as that guild has a bunch of interesting and synergistic pieces at lots of power levels.

Thanks for sharing your cube!
Hi Nanonox

First of you're 100 % correct. I am currently updating the Cube Cobra lists which is the reason why it looks to be all over the place right now :) There are just so, so, so many cards to add and it takes time.

Some of the cards are also not in a fixed group yet because we're still playtesting (Which is the same as playing games, lol, playtesting is fun)

1. Yes, I am updating them. As fast as I can. If you come back in a few days, there should be more cards added.
2. I would agree. Let's make the switch! Though I will add that I am of the opinion that Ancient Tomb is stronger in constructed formats than in limited because you can mitigate the downside easier.

1. Yeah, I am having some 'writer's block' on the starter set. I think I want too many things with it and I only have space for 8x3x14 = 336 cards which is 48 rares, 96 uncommons and 192 commons. The starter set has too many cards right now but there are still colors that have too few cards. So it's certainly not finished. I expect our entire playtesting will have to be completely redone after the starter set is done. I greatly appreciate your suggestions.
2. Yes I agree. After I cut Cruel Ultimatum I have bumped it down to Level 4 (Down from 5). Do you think I should move it up again?
3. Here I disagree. I think it's a very powerful cards in a control shell. Can I ask you to maybe come back in a few days or weeks and take a look at the Dimir cards in the other levels (1, 2, 3 and 5)?
4. Yeah and they're even identical. There's going to be 12 Golgari cards in the entire cube (3 on each level 1, 2, 3 and 4) and 10 of them are not 6 mana walkers :p Same question as above, can you check back in a few days or weeks to give me your opinion by then?

You're welcome <3

Last edited:
With the release of Streets of New Capenna and Commander Legends: Baldur's Gate it is time to make some changes. As always my main focus is the starter set.

Out goes all the foretell cards.
They help smoothe the games but they do not offer any synergy with anything I currently have.
I like the smoothing but I wish to increase the consistancy of many of the synergies so I will create some more redundancy.

Cards I will test from Streets of New Capenna and Commander Legends: Baldur's Gate are the following:

Lots of new dragons except in green. Green doesn't get them because they have: Siege Wurm, Arboretum Elemental & Feral Incarnation.

A little more token creating, ninjutsu support, artifact support and party tribal.

The mana curve in each color and the creature-to-non-creature ratio in each color also looks better after this update.

----

And then we have this little guy

He comes in for Chrome Cat

----

The Gate tribal is complete with Heap Gate

On level 1 there are plenty of more interesting Gates such as Black Dragon Gate, Baldur's Gate and Gond Gate.

These two sets has been very good to my cube

Last edited:
I have updated the multicolored cards in the cube on each level.
There are now a lot fewer multicolored cards in the cube.
The starter set still has 0 multicolored cards except for hybrid.

Before:
- Level 1: 3 Guild & 1 Shard ( That is equal to 30 two-colored cards and 10 three-colored cards)
- Level 2: 3 Guild & 1 Shard
- Level 3: 3 Guild & 1 Shard
- Level 4: 3 Guild & 0 Shard

Now:
- Level 1: 3 Guild & 1 Shard ( That is equal to 30 two-colored cards and 10 three-colored cards)
- Level 2: 2 Guild & 1 Shard
- Level 3: 1 Guild & 0 Shard
- Level 4: 0 Guild & 0 Shard

The cube is down from 150 multicolored cards to 80.

One of the consequences of this change is that there are some pretty high power 3-colored cards compared to their level.

Last edited: