General Atelier: Devoted to You

So maybe a couple of you louts have heard about my current dumb idea to build a set or whatever (curated draft format maybe) around hybrid mana, devotion and split spells. You can probably imagine the sort of cool ambiguous draft format that might result from that.

I figured we ought to have a special place to talk about our feelings on the subject and not bumble up the sweet idea development forum.

I'll ask Erich if he can help move some of the posts over here but I'm enthused about your input so far. I'm gonna spend some time looking at Shadowmoor block for inspiration, but you guys have already given me lots of great ideas!

I've just been doodling around a bit so I'll drop them here. But think the classic "Seal" enchantments or maybe fonts, think about theros limited's relationship with it's devotion uncommons, think of shadowmoor's more or less monocoloured decks full of multicolour spells and light splashes. Think Fire Ice reprint. Think Fuse and monocoloured split spells.

Cloud Wizard {2}{W/U}
Creature - Human Wizard (C)
Flying
2/2

Quarrelsome Lunk {2}{R/G}{R/G}
Creature - Giant (C)
Trample
Quarrelsome Lunk attacks and blocks each turn if able
4/3

Embiggen {R/G}
Instant (C)
Target creature gets +2/+2 and trample until end of turn.

Jungle Tender {1}{G}
Creature - Elf Druid (C)
Jungle Tender cannot be blocked by creatures without flying.
When Jungle Tender enters the battlefield reveal the top cards of your library equal to your devotion to green, you may put a creature or land card into your hand and the rest into the graveyard.
1/1

Dragon Caller {2}{R}{R}
Creature - Human Shaman (U)
When Dragon Caller enters the battlefield, if your devotion to red is 4 or more you may sacrifice her and put a 4/4 red dragon creature token with flying into play.
3/3

Cool Wizard {1}{U/R}
Creature - Human Wizard (C)
{U}, {T}: Draw a card then discard a card from your hand.
{R}, {T}: Cool Wizard deals 1 damage to target creature or player
1/1

Garden Guardian {3}{G/W}
Creature - Hound (U)
When Garden Guardian enters the battlefield search your library for a forest and a plains card and put it into your hand.
3/3

Doomsayer {1}{B}
Creature - Human Cleric (C)
Intimidate
Whenever a player plays a black spell you may pay {1}, if you do each opponent loses 1 life.
1/1

{1}{B}
Instant
Target player sacrifices a monocoloured creature
//SPLIT//
{1}{W}
Instant
Target Player sacrifices a multicolour creature.

Okay
[2:35:23 PM] Lucas Childs: so in my set I'm imagining having something like 30 out of 105 common slots for hybrid spells
[2:36:35 PM] Lucas Childs: since a cycle of hybrid guys renders about 4 playables per colour that means you've got 12 playables out of 30 for each of the 5 colours rather than the 6 that you'd usually be getting
[2:36:53 PM] Lucas Childs: leaving room for like 5 common lands and artifacts
[2:37:07 PM] Lucas Childs: you'd have like 14 monocoloured commons per colour left
[2:38:08 PM] Lucas Childs: so each colour has access to 26 playables instead of the normal 20
[2:38:16 PM] Lucas Childs: I wonder if that is enough saturation
[2:39:47 PM | Edited 2:41:00 PM] Lucas Childs: 3 common cards per 10 hybrid colour pairs
14 common cards per 5 colours
[2:40:38 PM] Lucas Childs: See I would like the hybrid saturation to be deeper but I feel like it would be overwhelming with the number of split cards and devotion counting in the set especially in uncommon

I'm imagining:
  • - At least 1 hybrid common creature per colour pair [10c]
  • - At least 1 hybrid common spell per colour pair (might need to be move up to uncommon for powerlevel reasons) [10c]
  • - At least 1 larger-midranged common spell or creature per colour pair [10c]
  • - At least 1 devotion common creature per colour [5c]
  • - At least 1 devotion common spell per colour [5c]
    - At least 1 devotion uncommon creature per colour [5u]

- At least 1 common Seal type enchantment per colour [5c]
  • - At least 1 common colour matters dork per colour (might need to be bumped to uncommon for powerlevel reasons) [5c]
  • - At least 1 uncommon monocoloured split card per colour [5u]
  • - At least 1 uncommon split card per colour pair [10u]
That more or less has us at:
30/105 hybrid common spells
20/105 monocoloured common spells spoken for (4 out of the working 14 per colour pair)
50/105 cards sorta spoken for.

10/60 monocoloured uncommons including the monocoloured splits with no idea how that should be divided.
10/60 multicoloured split cards.
20/60 sorta spoken for.

To illustrate some of this let me try some of these rough sketches

3 Hybrid Commons Per Colour:
Creature {1}{R/G}
Creature - Human Shaman
CARDNAME has protection from enchantments.
2/2

Spell {R/G}
Instant
Target creature gets +2/+2 and trample until end of turn.

Mid-larger Thingy {2}{R/G}{R/G}
Creature - Giant
Trample
CARDNAME must attack and block each turn if able
4/3

Devotion spells at common:
Red Devotion Creature {2}{R}
Creature - Human Wizard
Intimidate
If you devotion to red is 3 or greater CARDNAME has haste.
2/2

Red Devotion Spell {R}
Instant
CARDNAME deals 3 damage to target creature or player if you devotion to red is 3 or greater, if not it deals 1 damage instead.

Colour matters guy:
Black Creature {1}{B}
Creature - Human Cleric
Intimidate
Whenever a player plays a black spell you may pay {1}, if you do, each opponent loses 1 life.
1/1

Split Uncommons:
Rattle {R}
Sorcery
Until end of turn target creature cannot block.
Draw a card
//SPLIT//
Rumble {2}{R}
Sorcery
Destroy target non-basic land.

Sickness {1}{B}
Instant
Target player sacrifices a monocoloured creature.
//SPLIT//
Impurity {1}{W}
Instant
Target player sacrifices a multicoloured creature.

Seal enchantment commons:

Uncommon Devotion Creature:
White Creature {2}{W}
Creature - Human Knight
Flash
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, prevent the next x damage a source would deal, where x is equal to your devotion to white.
2/2

Guys I'm supes curious how to make devotion more of an attrition back and forth and less of a cold war without making unkillable creatures or relying on bad removal like the current set seems to like.

I also have no idea where it's safe to be implementing FUSE in the split spells

I am also very open to suggestions regarding to the sorts of devotion I'm using on my commons and uncommons. I realize the set's malleable nature makes it sorta complex so I'm going with stable numbers on a lot of the commons. Hitting a devotion number to turn your commons on seems comfortable for me. Uncommons can do something devotion X.

I would love some support! Thanks for being great walls to bounce ideas off!

I'm imagining:
  • - At least 1 hybrid common creature per colour pair [10c]
  • - At least 1 hybrid common spell per colour pair (might need to be move up to uncommon for powerlevel reasons) [10c]
  • - At least 1 larger-midranged common spell or creature per colour pair [10c]
  • - At least 1 devotion common creature per colour [5c]
  • - At least 1 devotion common spell per colour [5c]
    - At least 1 devotion uncommon creature per colour [5u]

- At least 1 common Seal type enchantment per colour [5c]
  • - At least 1 common colour matters dork per colour (might need to be bumped to uncommon for powerlevel reasons) [5c]
  • - At least 1 uncommon monocoloured split card per colour [5u]
  • - At least 1 uncommon split card per colour pair [10u]
That more or less has us at:
30/105 hybrid common spells
20/105 monocoloured common spells spoken for (4 out of the working 14 per colour pair)
50/105 cards sorta spoken for.

10/60 monocoloured uncommons including the monocoloured splits with no idea how that should be divided.
10/60 multicoloured split cards.
20/60 sorta spoken for.
i'm stating the obvious here but the numbers for each color combination need to be different, u/r should less creatures than r/g

either go all in on fuse or dont include it all imo.

i don't know how you can fix devotion being a super snowbally mechanic without as you said, neutering removal, and even then.
how much is 'protection from enchantments' actually going to be relevant in this environ

things:
- have you considered using the "do X if you control a red permanent/creature" technology.
- or "if you've cast a blue spell this turn do X"
- undevotion 'if your devotion to x is less than y'
- also off color devotion

idk you're doing a lot of stuff and i'm better at answering stuff on a case by case basis like when you ask me on skype

Does your split card have fuse? It should. Maybe a name like coal and diamond? Pride and prejudice? :)

Garden guardian, what about as a 2/3 for three mana that let's you get one or the other?

Cool wizard is awesome!

Cloud wizard is a bit lacklustre. What about no colourless and two hybrid?