General Auras--What works? What's worth it?

Agree with what you said, but Stoke the Flames and Baleful Mastery and Price of Fame to a lesser extent don't follow that logic. They can be cast with 0, 2 and 2 mana up respectively.

What sort of instant speed removal do you think is the right level? Something like commit // memory?
If your cube is fast, e.g., Ismaru, hound of konda with Rancor then 3 real mana is probably already expensive enough. Leaving 4 mana up is a really a lot, but fair. Leaving 3 mana open already signals that trouble is up. The only time it is painful is when your opponent could not do anything and left the mana open anyhow.
When does it break down? If the removal costs three but has benefits, e.g., destroys multiple creatures, draw a card and so on.
It also does not work when there is too much removal. Then an additional creature would be better than an aura. Have strong auras that make the risk worth it. Bestow is riskless, so it is not that rewarding.

I think they're a good idea! More modes is always better, and honestly that seems like one of the better ones. Nice find!

I'll respond to everything else in the next day or two, grad school applications have gotten the better of me. But you're making me think, so thanks.