General Basic Lands

If you watched the Top 8 of the WMC, you will have seen that all the players were given Unstable basic lands to play with as a way to promote the new set, and they look super cool. I currently have a hodgepodge mix of basics but I'm seriously considering upgrading them all to Unstable once the set is out. So, what basics do you use and why? What should you use?

Other than Unstable I'm a fan of Odyssey era old border foils, partly because of nostalgia because that's when I started playing, partly because I like the "generic" look of the Dominaria basics compared to the very specific lands in something like Mirrodin or Ravnica, and partly because I think old bordered foils are about 1000x better looking than new border.

I've been using a diverse selection of full art basics, that'll include the unstable lands. I just really like how clean and simple full art basics look, and they are easy to pull out of decks after drafting.

I do have one signed Odyssey foil, because that foiling is gorgeous, and I love signed things.

I have themed basics, depending on the fantasy set/grid... all matching art

ROE/SOM Fantasy set: mix of ZEN/SOM/ROE, All half art. Wanted an artificial feel. These are my favorite on my cube lands.
ISD fantasy set: ISD lands. Boring but effective
Older card grids: invasion basics. I like how prominently the mana color is in the art, coupled with the old border.
Ravnica/Kaladesh grids: RAV/RTR basics. Zzzz

Themed basics add to my cube experience. Shelling out 100 plus for lands feels bad, though...

I go old school with Urza’s Saga. They’re the prettiest looking lands that don’t have the giant mana symbols on them. I’d run betas if I could afford them, but that’s the only upgrade I would ever consider.

I really disliked how the Unstable basics look, and considering the poor print quality that auxiliary sets have had recently, I'm going to skip them completely.

Currently, I have 5 of each basic from Zendikar (both the original and BfZ), and Amonkhet (no HoD though), all in foil. Plus 5 of each art of the Wastes (only a few foils). I'd thought of adding some more stuff to the mix, maybe taking out my least favorite arts and putting some Unhinged, some old Onslaught/Odyssey/Invasion lands as well, but I have way too many lands already. If the full-art Judge foils weren't so expensive, I'd totally grab some, though. Oh yeah, and the Arena league promos from Onslaught era kicked ass too.

When I went to GP Atlanta last year (KLD limited) they provided all the players with full arts from the new Zendikar block. I asked the organizers for an extra sealed land pack, and ended up with two! So that's what I've furnished my cube with

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I use Mirage basics for my cube. For the rare occasion I play constructed use these:

165.jpg
8.jpg
160.jpg
349.jpg

Top tier forest and I use Mirage plains in legacy D&T. I rate your basics choice a solid 4/5 (losing a point because you don't have any islands apparently)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
FSR just refuses to play blue in any format :p

I like the idea of the unstable lands, I'll see how expensive they are and how nice they feel in my hands.
251b.jpg
255b.jpg
265b.jpg
262b.jpg
269.jpg

wish I could use this:
230.jpg

but I don't wanna drop that much

I provide a mixed set of BFZ / ZEN full art basics for general use, but I usually assemble my own deck with the basics I like in Constructed (albeit in formats where you play, like, 2-5 basics):
84.jpg
85.jpg
86.jpg
87.jpg
88.jpg

The mountain is my favourite. I have a small handful from Constructed, but I also double-sided printed a number of my poker-card proxies (Dom has one or two of these, I think?) with more copies of the unhinged basics so they're still useful if I end up cutting them.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I have about 250 Full Art Zendikar lands a friend gave me. Also a couple Unhinged lands mixed into the box.

All mirage lands in my cube. I'd prefer to have the '96 arena lands, but I only have a couple dozen and I'm not investing the hundreds necessary to get the rest.

I do have some lovely German blab bordered walds that I've kept though, the ones with the actual trees in. Those things are beautiful.

I keep my lands just as singleton as my other cube cards. Every art is used only once. An I also only play regular basic lands with a big symbol in the text box, because I think they look the best. I have a lot old frame ones but also many newer sweeties from different sets and planes. That way, there is something for everyone.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Kami wins out for me because of nostalgia and I genuinely think they look cool (though this Ravnica Island is beautiful IMO):

288.jpg
293.jpg
295.jpg
299.jpg
304.jpg
292.jpg

For full-art I like the Unhinged lands but instead of bankrupting myself I have these (original Zendikar because I like my borders thicc):

233.jpg
236.jpg
240.jpg
243.jpg
247.jpg

I love the old border and most of them look just fine, I like Mirage/Urza's Saga the most overall