Card/Deck Bazaar of Baghdad

CML

Contributor
I tried it and nobody played with it, maybe more positive experiences elsewhere

I also like Diamond Valley Island of Wak-Wak etc. There are only ~500 lands in the game and going through all of them for ULD is something I'm sure y'all have done before. (That's where I'd place these cards if anywhere)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Bazaar is a pretty steep cost to discard cards, to the point where those discarded cards really need to be doing something criminally powerful for it to be worth it. I'm not sure this is something that most people want in their cube.

I run Attunement, which features a similarly bad return on investment and really requires some powerful graveyard stuff to be worthwhile, but it doesn't set you a mana producing land behind and has synergy with the enchantment matters cards. One of the other reasons Bazaar isn't as attractive (pricetag aside) is that these cards are excellent at guaranteeing land drops so that your deck can hit its gimmick on time (replenish on turn 4, living death on turn 5 or whatever) and Bazaar sets you a whole turn behind. Granted Bazaar does let you dig deeper and faster, but can you really afford to use it that many times without just being buried by the card disadvantage?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
What are people's favourite discard outlets? Presumably Faithless Looting?

Merfolk Looter is probably still the best. I mean, it doesn't attack, but it gives you control over when you discard the card (nice with madness or playing around a Scavenging Ooze. Magus of the Bazaar is pretty badass and maybe I should play him. Faithless Looting, Looter il-Kor, Attunement, wild mongrel, firestorm, Lotleth Troll and Wheel of Fortune are all reasonable discard outlets.

Forgot all about mongrel, love that guy. Is aquamoeba a card for this discussion too, outside of madness cubes?

CML

Contributor
Merfolk Looter is probably still the best. I mean, it doesn't attack, but it gives you control over when you discard the card (nice with madness or playing around a Scavenging Ooze. Magus of the Bazaar is pretty badass and maybe I should play him. Faithless Looting, Looter il-Kor, Attunement, wild mongrel, firestorm, Lotleth Troll and Wheel of Fortune are all reasonable discard outlets.

easily

faithless, frantic search, thirst, compulsive are cool too

maybe we should threadjack this into "supporting reanimator / dredge / threshold / graveyard themes" + how many discard outlets. i think the trick is making these cards actively desirable in other archetypes, for example nobody wanted Oona's Prowler because although it was broadly applicable it was "kind of bad" in everything.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Totally forgot frantic search, that card rocks. I might try Prowler again, but that thing discards for no benefit AND it gives the opponent a discard outlet, which, if your cube has those delicious crossover synergies, can come back to haunt you.