General Big Jumpstart Cube Post

Hello, here is my promised big jumpstart cube post. I do not claim to be an expert on jumpstart cube, but I have built one and I have thought about it a lot, and I thought it would be fun to get the ball rolling on talking about this subformat a little more.

You can check out my current jumpstart cube list here:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/pushstart

I'm not 100% satisfied with this list because no one ever is with any list, but it is extremely fun to play.

Reasons to Build Jumpstart Cubes
1. They're fast and convenient compared to traditional cubes. If a traditional cube is an 8-player draft in a box, a jumpstart cube is a quick fun game of Magic in a box.

2. They're great for playing with beginners and casual players. Deckbuilding is hard, maybe the hardest part of the game for new players, and jumpstart removes that barrier to entry in the same way that precons do. I prefer jumpstart to battlebox for this type of thing, because jumpstart doesn't have any special weird land rules and just works like how Magic works.

3. They give the designer a ton of control over the environment. Being able to dictate exactly which cards get played allows you to design the type of gameplay you'd like to see with a higher degree of control than with a draft environment.

4. They're challenging to design. Because of the last point, every slot in a jumpstart cube really counts. You can't rely on "well if it sucks people will just sideboard it". This makes the stakes feel very high when you test with your friends lol.

5. They have a lot of underexplored potential. Designing your own jumpstart cube doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as just building set cubes of WOTC's jumpstart sets. I've been having fun with it, but I'm a real meat and potatoes kinda cube designer, I like building simple fun environments with cards people know. I would love to see what some of the avant garde cube sickos on here could come up with.

6. People just love them. Of all the things I've designed, I think people have responded the most positively to Pushstart. I get asked to bring it out all the time. I've brought it to parties and music festivals and shit and people get stoked on it. I have friends who otherwise don't like playing Magic who love that cube. Sometimes I get in my head about like oh I don't like the way the Simic half-deck is balanced right now the cube is probably bad and then I watch people play it and I'm like oh right this cube kicks ass.

Getting Started
Have to start here by shouting out The Ultimate Guide to Jumpstart Cube, which was basically the only primer that existed when I started working on Pushstart.

I don't want to just repeat what this guide already says so well, so here is what I suggest that you actually do to get started on a jumpstart cube:
1. Read the guide linked above, it has a lot of good advice
2. Every time michael921 cautions against doing something that you think would be sick actually, say to yourself "no but I'm different".
3. Make a spreadsheet that looks something like this:
1727378142288.png
4. Every time you think "oh you know what card would be cool in the monored one" while you are supposed to be doing your stupid job, add it to the spreadsheet.
5. You are now invested enough that you will care enough to finish filling out the spreadsheet. I recommend starting with like 5-10 half-decks and working your way up as you get more comfortable with the cube.
6. Drink at least 1-2 twisted teas on a week night and order cards/print proxies.
7. Hang out with your friends and play the cube
8. Get excited about how fun it is but also frustrated with some obviously bad initial decisions you made, revise and repeat, you guys all know this part

Challenges
1. Mana Fixing - Obviously you need rainbow lands to make these things work. WOTC jumpstart packs use the thriving lands for their fixing and only give you one and you could do that I guess.

I've been going with Prismatic Vistas and then some City of Brasses for the multicolor packs, and that's been working pretty well. My plan is to eventually just proxy up a "super fetch" that can just fetch any land with a basic land type, and just replace all the City of Brasses and Prismatic Vistas with those and some shocks/duals.

I think you shouldn't be afraid to be adventurous with these, it's fine if your fixing is really busted since the format is so self-contained and everyone gets to have it. I don't think playing a no-downside City of Brass would be an insane idea.

2. Multicolor Packs - michael921 says you shouldn't do these at all but I'm different of course. What are you gonna do, not play Baleful Strix? I generally tell people to pick 2 packs of up to 3 colors so they don't end up in 4 color nonsense, but I think you could build a cube where the 4 color decks are functional if you're willing to just make the mana bases insanely good.

The biggest challenge I've had with these besides fixing is getting the mana curves right. Multicolor cards gotta cost at least 2, so it can be hard to include all the ones you want if your format is really fast.

3. Mana Curves - I recommend setting some sort of cap on mana value and not having cards that are more expensive than that (outside of like, a ramp deck). Then let that dictate the rest of the mana curve. I don't think you have to overthink this too much. Just like traditional cube, when in doubt, just play cheap cards and mana sinks. My packs are mostly 1s and 2s with a couple 3s or 4s.

4. Combos and Synergy - I've found that straight up A+B+C combo decks are pretty hard to make work. I was trying to make my Golgari deck do some stupid reanimator stuff, but the nature of jumpstart just makes it really hard for something like that to come together. Someone who has more of a mind for this kind of thing could probably make it happen, but I think the cube would need to be built from the ground up to support it. For most designs, I think emphasizing mostly self-contained cards with synergy hooks is the easiest way to make packs bounce off each other in novel ways.

5. Slot Efficiency - The decision paralysis when designing these things is insane lmao. The 12ish nonland slots that you have to work with feels so suffocating sometimes. People always talk about how "every slot counts" in traditional cube, but you can always just make a traditional cube have 361 cards and it won't kill you. With jumpstart you will be agonizing over "slots" regardless of how much of a spreadsheet aesthetics rebel you usually are.

6. Balance - Same as it ever was. I think balancing jumpstart cube can feel a little more daunting sometimes, because it does not have the self-correcting nature of draft. But it is also much easier to iterate on since you can just, play the pack that you changed and see if it's doing better now.

Overall I try not to worry too much about balance. There's no possible way to account for all of the different combinations of packs in the cube and how they match up against each other. I am instead looking to have packs that play well with all or most of the other packs, feel consistently functional and fun to play, and do cool stuff.

Logistics
I could do a whole write up trying to explain all of the logistical problems with organizing these things in paper, but I think these three images show the problem and my solution better than I could with words:
1727375106562.jpeg
1727375190881.jpeg
1727375242993.jpeg
(don't make fun of my nails I do them like that on purpose)

I know this is a good solution because people who have never played the cube before immediately understand how to sort their cards when they're done playing without even having to ask me, which is exactly what I want to happen. The cube packs are Dragon Shield Cube Shells. The stickers I just got on Etsy.

Only real problems with this solution are:
1. You gotta put stickers on all the cards. Mine are all proxies or cheap so I don't care, but I understand this is sacrilege to some people. Put some paper in there I guess.
2. Not accessible for people who are colorblind. I'm probably gonna just get a silver marker and write the names of the colors on the packs because of this.
3. It's a little plain. I like the minimalist look of it, but if you wanted to give all of them cool custom names and fancy custom stickers I think that would be badass.

I haven't gone this route for this project, but I think it would also be pretty reasonable to take a "bar cube" approach to a jumpstart cube and try to eliminate tokens, counters, shuffling, etc. so you can make it even more portable.

Thanks for reading!
I would love to hear what ideas folks on here have for novel jumpstart cubes! :)

Last edited:
(don't make fun of my nails I do them like that on purpose)
Same energy as me when I go 0-3 but was "just testing the archetype."

Sorting
If you're on proxies, you can use different set symbols for different packs.

https://burgertokens.com/pages/jumpstart-theme-card-builder
This is a decent resource for making a front card to a pack that would include the names of the cards, as well. Slightly less convenient and assumes your players are willing to read something (unlikely).

Deckbuilding
There's a lot of potential to replicate old formats with this. Take some old decks from the same meta, cut them in half while keeping 4x of the important cards, and send it. It breaks singleton, which some people may not like, but it sounds pretty cool.

It's not just old metas that you can copy, but I know everyone's a sucker for nostalgia and wants to make 2007 Standard Jumpstart.

Could be fun to do block/plane-based packs. Sorting by set symbol could be possible here without using proxies.

Handing out packs
Giving everyone N packs and telling them to choose 2 seems smart so that no one gets an ugly combination. If going the "recreate a format" route, this seems essential because some packs will be more narrow.

Interested in how you do this. Did you make all the packs somewhat generic in order to ensure they can all mesh together? Is everyone handed two packs? They choose two packs? Hell, you could probably do 2 minute draft of the packs if everyone there is somewhat familiar with them. Give everyone 3-4 packs, pick 1, pass, pick 1, rest stay out.

Dang it, the one thing I want to know is the thing missing from the primer - what should the mana curves of each pack (vaguely) look like?

A few thoughts before I get my hands dirty:

• I wonder what the minimum viable number of packs is? Smash Up releasing with only eight packs makes me think you could get away with using 10 packs for the equivalent of a 180. I guess it boils down to how many players you want to support, and how much "wiggle room" you want after everyone is done picking (a 20-pack cube can support 8 players with a whole color worth of packs left over).
  • On the topic of combos, I feel like packs lean way more towards the "play stuff fairly" side of things? If you want a combo-y pack or two, you're probably going to be better off making a "fair" pack that includes a combo for reach than one that's all-in on a combo.
  • I feel like michael921 focused a bit too much on his personal solution to the "Blue Mill + Green Elves" problem (aka giving every pack a TON of cross-synergy with the rest of its color)? That said, I do like the examples he chose, because I think those are some pretty clear "failure points" for picking archetypes for packs:
    • A traditional "Blue Mill" pack is kinda awkward, because it focuses on a victory condition that's mostly orthogonal to what the other packs are doing. It'd probably be a better idea to go with something like the Zendikar Rising's approach to Rogues, where they turn into undercosted beaters if villain has 8 or more cards in their graveyard.
    • I feel like heavily synergy-focused packs (like Tribal or Artifacts) are a bit of a design trap, since the whole "mash two decks together" thing is going to dilute it anyway. It's something to play by ear, but I feel like a more Wildfire-y approach is better? Have a deck half that follows a plan, then have a card or two that make it all come together.
  • It's probably a good idea to break singleton if that helps a pack work (says the person who's contemplating a Say Its Name pack). Jumpstart completely avoids the old "what if I put in two copies to make the archetype work and they end up with two drafters" problem, so what the heck.

Now it's time to cook.

My jumpstart list is here.

I've gone the more traditional route with single colour packs. Each pack has a fairly strong individual identity, but there are broad themes seeded across all colours and packs. Whichever packs you take there will be some synergies between them.

Each pack is sleeved in the appropriate colour. This does mean that your opponent can see which pack cards in your hand or deck are from, but in practice it doesn't matter much and it makes sorting them easier.

In addition to the benefits listed above, another thing I like about jumpstart is the portability: you can grab 4 packs and still have 3 different match-ups.

Don't know if I'm reading that excel table right, brainstorm as a removal spell? :marofl:
Everything is templates and guidelines, nothing is rules. I'm different!!
Handing out packs
Giving everyone N packs and telling them to choose 2 seems smart so that no one gets an ugly combination. If going the "recreate a format" route, this seems essential because some packs will be more narrow.

Interested in how you do this. Did you make all the packs somewhat generic in order to ensure they can all mesh together? Is everyone handed two packs? They choose two packs? Hell, you could probably do 2 minute draft of the packs if everyone there is somewhat familiar with them. Give everyone 3-4 packs, pick 1, pass, pick 1, rest stay out.
I've done a bunch of different things for this, from fully randomizing them to letting people just choose them to doing the offer 3-pick 1 thing, which is how jumpstart works on Arena. I think part of the fun is you get to choose how you want to distribute packs every time. And yeah I would say they are all somewhat generic, although some have more themes/synergies than others. I didn't super hard focus on synergy for these, but you definitely can!
  • I wonder what the minimum viable number of packs is? Smash Up releasing with only eight packs makes me think you could get away with using 10 packs for the equivalent of a 180. I guess it boils down to how many players you want to support, and how much "wiggle room" you want after everyone is done picking (a 20-pack cube can support 8 players with a whole color worth of packs left over).
I started with just 10 and it definitely works, but I almost immediately moved up to 20 because it definitely gets a little stale with only 10 of them. And yes, being able to support multiple games at once makes a big difference!
Same energy as me when I go 0-3 but was "just testing the archetype."
Don't be mean to me I'm nice!!!

I think you shouldn't be afraid to be adventurous with these, it's fine if your fixing is really busted since the format is so self-contained and everyone gets to have it. I don't think playing a no-downside City of Brass would be an insane idea.

sharpie out the "token" on the type line and done

also these are like literally four dollars because they just came out and there's lots of demand, presumably from insane people just like us

This seems like an excellent format to support colourless eldrazi while sidestepping the challenge of supporting a small 6th colour in a draft. It would be tough to have as many colourless packs as you do for each colour, but I'm pretty sure there's no requirement for that. Something like Eldrazi Minic, It that heralds the end, Matter Reshaper, Glaring Fleshraker, Thought-Knot Seer, Reality Smasher, Spatial Contortion, Eldrazi Confluence, Warping Wail + Wastes, and maybe Eldrazi Temple(s) seems like an obvious starting point.

You could even have some multicoloured packs - {W}{c} based around Eldrazi Displacer, {U}{c} with Blinding Drone, Depth Defiler, Dimensional Infiltrator, Eldrazi Skyspawner, maybe a {G}{c} Ramp/Scions/Spawn off the back of Nest Invader, Sowing Mycospawn, Eldrazi Repurposer etc. Obviously City of Brass and Thriving lands don't help, but Prismatic Vista finds Wastes just fine.