Brad Loves Eldrazi

Why Eldrazi?
I've always loved Eldrazi. My first cube poorly attempted to replicate Jason’s Eldrazi Domain cube in the wake of BFZ Block. I often make a project based around them and end up throwing it out. It's time to commit to my love.

The two biggest incentives to running Eldrazi over other fatties are that they’re colorless, allowing any deck to cast them, and that they have cast triggers, nearly guaranteeing some value. Six titans are currently included.

The removal and counterspells in the cube were chosen with 10 drops in mind. Even though you’re nearly guaranteed value from your cast trigger, you still don’t want to see your titan die too easily. The removal that’s able to hit an Eldrazi will have to be somewhat inefficient when doing so.

Before going forward, it should be noted that minimal token types is a goal for this cube. Currently, it only runs
  • Eldrazi Spawns
  • Eldrazi Scions
  • Treasures
  • 1/1 white Spirits with flying
and I could see a solid argument to add two more token types (three total tokens, front and back) like Thopters or Humans, but I certainly intend to avoid one-off tokens.

The WU deck is currently struggling with identity a little, but is intended to be a mix of go wide, blink, and flyers. In fact, white Spirits are one of only four token types in the cube. It may prove difficult to go wider than the Spawns and Scions, so the attack takes to the air.

The UB deck is a control deck with a focus on the graveyard. Unfortunately, two of the six titans I’m running have a shuffle trigger on them, which messes up a heavy graveyard deck. There’s also no real reanimation to make sure that a 10/10 doesn’t hit the board on turn 4.

The BR deck is an aggressive mix of sacrificing and graveyard, with Orcus as a strong flier that can easily wipe the board of Spawns and Scions.

The GR deck is full of well-statted creatures with effects that support Eldrazi.

The GW deck is seeking to utilize a convoke-like summon of a titan facilitated by tutoring one to the hand.

The WB deck is uncertain, but is currently placed as a Humans deck. White lacks the access to Spawns and Scions that the other colors have, so this is kind of the rebellion to the titans, if you will.

The UR deck is an aggressive red deck combined with the power of blue’s spells. Gelectrode aims to gun down all the 1 toughness tokens.

The BG deck, on the back of Catacomb Sifter, seeks to gain value from sacrificing.

The RW deck is a little loose in the multicolor section, but it aims to equip creatures in order to keep up with the larger creatures being summoned.

Finally, the GU deck seeks to ramp. This section could easily change to be more spells forcused with Quandrix Apprentice or more fatty focused with Inga and Esika.

The two color land cycles in the cube are still open to change. I know for sure that I want bounces and scrys as an early game hand fixer as well as general value producer at the cost of some time.

I definitely need some form of colorless production outside of the Spawns and Scions, so filters and/or pains will be in.

Then I’ll possibly add a set of shocks and fetches.

If I decide to add another cycle, it would probably be the slow lands to get some quality fixing that won’t press the issue too badly, the reveal lands to reward two color decks, or the check lands because they’re generally kind of nice.

Of course, there’s some lands for the big guys, as well.

In addition to those lands, there are numerous Channel lands and MDFCs in order to increase land counts in decks without promoting too much flooding.

(Bushwhack is practically a tapped land. Come on.)

I'm open to any and all input. I'm sure there are great ideas that I haven't thought of.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Really like the idea because I share your fondness for the Eldrazis.
I started working on something similar (Eldrazis vs Phyrexians vs Legends) and was thinking that maybe the legendary matters archetype could be a theme for your cube. It would be a kind of face off between the Legends and the Eldrazis, with the benefit of your Eldrazis fitting with the theme by nature of being legendary themselves.

There are a bunch of ways to go (5 color broad archetype, limited to Mardu or Orzhov, ...) with a lot more options than those that I listed. Looking forward to seeing a list!

Really like the idea because I share your fondness for the Eldrazis.
I started working on something similar (Eldrazis vs Phyrexians vs Legends) and was thinking that maybe the legendary matters archetype could be a theme for your cube.
I briefly explored "Eldrazis are Legends and It Matters" as a theme, but ultimately tossed it out because they're legends that his the table on turn 8+. Sisay and Time of Need are still cool as tutors, and I'm skeptical on the latter.
It would be a kind of face off between the Legends and the Eldrazis, with the benefit of your Eldrazis fitting with the theme by nature of being legendary themselves.
I'm really hesitant to add a theme like that because I'm already so prone to going through 10 iterations during every update. Perhaps a focus on midrange legends in Gw would be smart, though.

I should also add to the OP that minimal token types is a goal here.
EDIT: And maybe add the damn list...

Last edited:
!!

Rewards you for all your token producers (creature and noncreature) and you get an Eldrazi late game. It's another token, but it's an Eldrazi token, that has to get a pass right :p

With a few modifications, this seems like it could be a great build around for the cube because it can go in different directions. Buff your Devoid cards and your Spawn/Scion tokens? Use colorless lands to ramp out 9 drop? You already have filter lands and pain lands to go with it.

!!
Rewards you for all your token producers (creature and noncreature) and you get an Eldrazi late game. It's another token, but it's an Eldrazi token, that has to get a pass right :p
I could re-add Desolation Twin. I'm skeptical that this card is any good, though. Feels like you need to produce a token nearly every turn to be worth it.

With a few modifications, this seems like it could be a great build around for the cube because it can go in different directions. Buff your Devoid cards and your Spawn/Scion tokens? Use colorless lands to ramp out 9 drop? You already have filter lands and pain lands to go with it.
I'd have to dig in to some kind of Devoid deck more. I don't think that deck has the depth that it needs right now. I used to run BR Devoid aggro and it didn't really get there. Maybe the Eldrazi Unbound cards will provide more tools.

The mana doubling aspect, however, is interesting. I think it needs just a bit more, though. I'd expect a 5 mana green card to get me 2.5 lands and I doubt these decks are having that mana <> sources right now.

EDIT: I can imagine a scenario where some of the Devoid cards get a Brad-Alchemy type of custom treatment where they cost a mana less or other small tweaks. Not yet, but someday.

Last edited:
List is currently at 599 cards. MPC bracket goes up to 612 cards. Looking for +13 cards or some cuts plus even more adds.

EDIT: I need to get the proper tokens custom made, too. So I'm looking to finalize like 572 cards plus 20 of each DFC token.

http://cubecobra.com/cube/list/3egsu

Current list. Seeking cuts (and maybe adds). The removal is targeted to kill X/1 tokens and to avoid killing Titans very easily. Cube size doesn't matter right now, as the MPCFill bracket I'll be ordering in goes up to, I believe, 612 cards. Testing will lead to cuts.

How do you feel about the manabase? Some sources of C, some slow-encouraging lands, and some good old shock-fetch.

Reactions: dbs
Long game aggro plans?
I have equipment and was thinking that +1/+1 counters could work, too.

How do you guys feel about the DMU archetype setup?
W go wide, U spells, B yard, R aggro, G domain

G domain is a little weak in cube because a mana base can enable domain without spells needed.

A single set of shocks (and maybe triomes) and fetches would only do a bit of enabling overall while Farseek, Three Visits, and Nature's Lore provide more fetching for exclusively green.

There would also be converge, Bring to Light, and 1-2 5c cards.

Reactions: dbs
Is it heresy to cut Faithless Looting? I don't feel like the depth of my black graveyard decks are going to be prevalent enough to warrant a card to support them in R.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/Titans
I need help with some cuts. Or adds. I want 75 per color section.

I'm going to start proxying it up in CC soon for MPC. MPCFill sometimes lacks the newer cards and I want to be able to choose my own frames/art.

@blacksmithy Am I able to choose the same back for everything and then change a few for the DFCs? Or is it going to be a painful manual process? If I leave the back blank, does it come back white? Also, do I want 2.5*3.5 inch custom game cards with no border?

Is it heresy to cut Faithless Looting? I don't feel like the depth of my black graveyard decks are going to be prevalent enough to warrant a card to support them in R.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/Titans
I need help with some cuts. Or adds. I want 75 per color section.

I'm going to start proxying it up in CC soon for MPC. MPCFill sometimes lacks the newer cards and I want to be able to choose my own frames/art.

@blacksmithy Am I able to choose the same back for everything and then change a few for the DFCs? Or is it going to be a painful manual process? If I leave the back blank, does it come back white? Also, do I want 2.5*3.5 inch custom game cards with no border?
dont leave the back blank, idk what happens but probably wont be good.

for the DFCs i usually just go in with "different backs" from the get go, i dont usually find it too painful. there MAY be a way to do it like you said but id rather go slow and do it once than go fast and do it twice. on that note, when adding backs, its a good idea to number your fronts on a notepad or something and mark which numbers get which backs ahead of time.

and yeah flooting is just good. every color should be doing graveyard stuff to SOME extent. cut bad cards instead

Little update and a quick question.

I did an MPCFill order. The cube is shrink wrapped in the corner of my room, waiting to be resleeved. Should see some play in the next few weeks here.

Should I be adding Up the Beanstalk? I think I must have missed that it cantrips when I first read it. I constantly see r/Modern bitching about it and I'm uncertain if it's any good when played alongside fair cards.

Little update and a quick question.

I did an MPCFill order. The cube is shrink wrapped in the corner of my room, waiting to be resleeved. Should see some play in the next few weeks here.

Should I be adding Up the Beanstalk? I think I must have missed that it cantrips when I first read it. I constantly see r/Modern bitching about it and I'm uncertain if it's any good when played alongside fair cards.
Up the Beanstalk feels like a perfect Eldrazi Cube card.

I would totally try it. A lot of the issue people have with beanstalk is specifically it triggering off zero mana spells, it certainly wasn't balanced that way
More concerned about it being too weak when played as intended. I'll toss it in the next round of proxies.

Had our first draft tonight. 7 players.

One newbie accidentally passed a pile of his taken cards rather than passing the pack, so everyone got an excess of white cards. Messed up almost all of pack 3.

5C player had easy mana access. Triomes on the watch list.

Isochron Scepter banned for completely ruining numerous games on turn 2.

Yasharn banned for shutting off pains.

Decks were GB midrange, Grixis midrange, Grixis control, 5C control, Wu Aggro, Bu grave aggro, and Gxxxx ramp.

Highlights:
Malleable Impostor is cracked. Adding flying to the best creature on the board at instant speed was good every time.

Flayer of Loyalties stealing a lifelink flier made two players basically exchange life totals.

Considering cutting my C costed cards.

The main reason for cutting these is the last three. Painlands are kinda bad. Filters are fine, but it can be difficult to ensure you have CC ready, even by the time you have 10 mana. You have to shift your draft to focusing on having an extra not color.

The first four could potentially stick around, although Displacer loses a lot of its potential without access to a lot of C.

LANDS?
Thinking more on {c}...

Current package is

Considering

ish.

Or

times a lot plus some

Current package has 20 <> sources in the main 50 lands.

Shock fetch would require cutting <> costs.

Wilds/Expanse/Passage/Vista would require a lot of shuffling but allow consistent <> access. It gets a little worrisome that people would splash like crazy, but that's why I'd probably run one of each art so that there isn't too many Passages or, especially, Vistas.

I have thoughts on each, but I'd like to hear from you guys.

Depends on how you view the Eldrazi for me. If it stops at ROE for you, I think eschewing the colorless costed ones makes sense. For me personally, they are part of the Eldrazi and deserve to be in an Eldrazi cube.

I like your first mana base mostly because there are more untapped sources. I would hate to have the mana to cast a big Eldrazi only to have my 10th land ETB tapped. Also less shuffling is nice!