General (BRO) The Brother's War Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1667022361246.png
This seems good

1667022422768.png1667022428443.png1667022432611.png1667022436425.png
I'm gonna post these, I'm not optimistic about any of them? Urza's is probably powerful but it doesn't actually spark joy for me.
Gix's Command 3BB
Sorcery
Choose two -
· Put two +1/+1 counters on up to one creature. It gains lifelink until end of turn.
· Destroy each creature with power 2 or less.
· Return up to two creature cards from your graveyard to your hand.
· Each opponent sacrifices a creature with highest power among creatures they control.

I kinda like Kayla's Command? If nothing else, it's basically:

Construct - {1}{W}{W}
Token Artifact Creature - Construct
When Construct enters the battlefield, choose one:
• Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. It gains double strike until end of turn.
• Search your library for a basic Plains card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
• You gain 2 life and scry 2.
2/2

That seems like a pretty decent modal "creature" to me... and you don't even have to play it as a creature!

I mean, I agree that Urza's Command is probably the best out of the four (Mishra's has the bad luck of spending two modes on removal, while Gix's Command just feels overly cute)... but I don't think I'd ever feel bad about jamming Kayla's Command in a white deck. It's certainly more interesting to me than Austere Command...

My question is whether or not we're going to get a Green command. I hope that we do (and they don't just go "we already gave you Verdant Command"), and that it isn't crazily expensive.

I kinda like Kayla's Command? If nothing else, it's basically:

Construct - {1}{W}{W}
Token Artifact Creature - Construct
When Construct enters the battlefield, choose one:
• Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. It gains double strike until end of turn.
• Search your library for a basic Plains card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
• You gain 2 life and scry 2.
2/2

That seems like a pretty decent modal "creature" to me... and you don't even have to play it as a creature!

Was about to say the same. The mana cost is a bit awkward but I'd definitely cube it at {2}{W}

On one hand, I adore all of the old frame reprints we're getting here, as well as the classic-framed basic lands -- for the first time in well over a decade! There's over a dozen cards I'm going to be able to happily swap into my cube for MA: Maximum Aesthetic.

en_rDzvp1hcYq.pngen_YEAAhcmNbr.pngen_OZXuohCU45.png
MAXIMUM AESTHETIC REALIZED

On the other hand, this is a pretty unfortunate set of cards to get the treatment. While brown-bordered artifacts are something that the Magic community has come to an agreement on as the strictly superior version (to the extent that the MtG community has ever come to any sort of agreement, at least), the gold cards and particularly the colored artifacts are genuinely misleading without the revised frames we've been using for 18 of the 30 years of Magic's development.

en_B2XxU66TEl.pngen_8AKJ9cll3s.pngen_D3fF58ASSR.png
Most of my playgroup will misplay these as a rule.
Nothing in the frame indicates their artifact-ness. Even the above Faithless Looting has a (wholly unnecessary but rad) graveyard symbol to indicate its value sitting in the graveyard. On Angel of the Ruins, the blown-out white-on-white text makes the type line practically unreadable at a glance, and the fact that this giant angel is weak to Naturalize is easy to get lost on a complicated board state. I will be avoiding these, and most of the gold cards getting a reprint here. I'll happily make an exception for Expressive Iteration since the art obtusely conveys that it's an Izzet card at a glance and I just think it looks nice ok??

The worst offender of this misleading use of the classic frame can be found in the form of a reprint here:

en_Z21iMMYOXC.png
Inclusion of this card in a playgroup with anything short of GP grinders (or whatever they're called these days) is nothing short of gross negligence as a Cube Curator.

But overall, very very happy to have these. Some great new designs too! Certainly making some considerations here myself:

en_LzlWaic9Eu.pngen_c0B0lW497i-1.pngen_lcz99HwcPS.png

Thopter Shop is probably too slow for my environment at present, but I love the way it draws people into recursive/staxy artifact decks. It's a great sign-post that really didn't need the "once each turn" emergency break for my cube, but this is a Commander product after all.

Glint Raker is similarly underpowered in my cube, but I find it hard to hate a Thieving Magpie with upside in the artifact deck, and I so dearly love to fill my graveyard. Don't imagine I can justify such a slow and durdly 4-drop that relies on artifact synergy, but it's hard to argue it's sweet design.

Sanwell, Avenger Ace is the most likely of the three here to crack my list. I currently am just shy of the artifact creature density to really get this going, but it's something I continually come back to as an increasingly-realistic dream. A 3/1 for 2 with solid potential for repeated card advantage is something I've got to pay attention to, even if it means I may have to add in the ugly Star Fox gag card to get there.

There's another card or two I'm going to take a look at but I've hit the maximum for file uploads for a single post, so I'll hope someone else brings them up rather than double-posting (read: procrastinating) any more.

scavengedbrawler.jpg

This one of them?

On the one hand, Scavenged Brawler isn't the best reanimator target in the universe. Also, the graveyard ability slaps five different types of counters on a single creature, so there's also that.
On the other hand, that's a hilariously powered-up version of Scavenge right there. Sure, go ahead — permanently give some hard-to-remove creature +4/+4, flying, vigilance, trample, and lifelink.

EDIT: Speaking of old border cards... I think it would've actually been really cool if BRO had been designed/printed entirely as an old border set.

With the obvious exception of Teferi, of course. Since he's from the future.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
While brown-bordered artifacts are something that the Magic community has come to an agreement on as the strictly superior version (to the extent that the MtG community has ever come to any sort of agreement, at least), the gold cards and particularly the colored artifacts are genuinely misleading without the revised frames we've been using for 18 of the 30 years of Magic's development.

View attachment 7666View attachment 7667View attachment 7668
Most of my playgroup will misplay these as a rule.
Nothing in the frame indicates their artifact-ness. Even the above Faithless Looting has a (wholly unnecessary but rad) graveyard symbol to indicate its value sitting in the graveyard. On Angel of the Ruins, the blown-out white-on-white text makes the type line practically unreadable at a glance, and the fact that this giant angel is weak to Naturalize is easy to get lost on a complicated board state.

The worst offender of this misleading use of the classic frame can be found in the form of a reprint here:

Yep. There's a reason I love the new frame. As much as people may get nostalgic over the "fantasy"-ness of the old frame (and to be fair, it get that), it's undeniable that the new frame is much, much better at communicating what kind of card you are looking at. The border's clearer, and the text is way more legible. What's worse though is that this card exists:

F63B9646-5DC8-41FC-92D2-1925F25ACA7F.jpeg

This is the only colored artifact previously printed in the old frame, and they invented a "hybrid" frame for it. They could have easily reused this approach for these Commander decks and have the colored artifacts be a little more recognizable! I'm not bad because I don't care about old border reprints*, but if I did, I would be annoyed at the very least.

*Instead I'm now annoyed that Sanwell, Avenger Ace isn't available in the new border :)

EDIT: Speaking of old border cards... I think it would've actually been really cool if BRO had been designed/printed entirely as an old border set. With the obvious exception of Teferi, of course. Since he's from the future.

Wizards hire this person!
This is how they should be thinking.

View attachment 7657

The Commander decks were previewed today and this thing stood out to me. As a six-drop it's not that impressive but the 'Scavenge' looks excellent to me - maybe this set can complete the artifact/graveyard crossover?

I think I would need to play with this before making any judgment on its quality as a crossover card. The faux-scavenge ability is probably the most appealing feature of this card, which is a bit of a red flag in my mind. The card I've played that's most similar to Scavenged Brawler, Deadbridge Goliath was powerful because it was an above-rate 5/5 that could pump up a small thing after it died. Scavenged Brawler loses the above rate beater mode in favor of a more efficient scavenge, which almost makes it dependent on being discarded or milled in order to achieve its full value in many games. This probably isn't the worst thing ever for graveyard decks, but I'm not convinced artifact decks are looking to play something they have to bin first to be great. Otherwise, everyone is stuck with a 6 mana 4/4... which just doesn't seem great even though it comes with a cup of keyword soup on the side.

I could see Scavenged Brawler being ok, but my suspicion is that it's mostly a card you're trying to bin in a graveyard deck as opposed to some hidden glue card connecting artifacts and graveyard. I could be wrong there, but I think this card is weird enough to require more playtesting than normal to make an accurate judgment. The big question is: how excellent is the scavenge and is it good enough to warrant playing an otherwise mediocre creature?

You joke, but I saw some innocent soul post this on a spoiler website post this:
Wonder if this finds a place in any decks or if it's outclassed by other cheap prowess cards
They apparently weren't joking.

---

As for today's spoilers, these struck me as interesting designs:

soulpartition.jpg
drafnafounderoflatnam.jpg
overwhelmingremorse.jpg
bitterreunion.jpg

We have a cool "soft" removal spell (which is effectively hard removal vs. tokens and cheat targets), a neat card for Drafna, hilariously strong removal for a graveyard deck, and a really sweet Tormenting Voice variant. Hot damn is Bitter Reunion cool.

You joke, but I saw some innocent soul post this on a spoiler website post this:

They apparently weren't joking.

---

As for today's spoilers, these struck me as interesting designs:

soulpartition.jpg
drafnafounderoflatnam.jpg
overwhelmingremorse.jpg
bitterreunion.jpg

We have a cool "soft" removal spell (which is effectively hard removal vs. tokens and cheat targets), a neat card for Drafna, hilariously strong removal for a graveyard deck, and a really sweet Tormenting Voice variant. Hot damn is Bitter Reunion cool.
finally some stuff that doesn’t cost a billion mana! i’m wary of “creature cards in graveyard” since the massive flop that was Reclusive Taxidermist, but even getting it down to 1B is plenty good. Drafna seems really cool if you have the right kind of artifact deck

Overwhelming Remorse is cool to me because, in a lot of cubes, it signals that a graveyard-stocking deck is a thing without necessarily being useless if you fail to get that deck together (it's alright at {2}{B}, good at {1}{B}, and kinda crazy at {B}).

Ashnod is interesting…I got really excited at first glance, but that quickly cooled. It sits in a slightly awkward design space imo. I don’t think it’s suited for my environment. It’s incremental and relying to attack is tough for the creature sacrifice strategy. Converting bodies in powerstone tokens isn’t really what I want to be doing. The archetype in my cube wants to have repeatable instant speed sacrifice outlets.

fadefromhistory.jpg

Not actually all that great (outside of limited, where it's going to do a reasonable Wrath of God impression vs. all the artifact creatures that are going to be around)... but that art is adorable.

fadefromhistory.jpg

Not actually all that great (outside of limited, where it's going to do a reasonable Wrath of God impression vs. all the artifact creatures that are going to be around)... but that art is adorable.
This is a $30 Commander card in the making. Green doesn't currently have a way to blow up all artifacts and enchantments for less than 5 mana, so having a card that can do just that is a big deal.