General Building a Retro Cube

Meltyman posted an old bordered list in another thread and started a blog. Got me to thinking about how cube has changed over the years. That and how the idea of "retro" has probably also evolved (like Bon Jovi is somehow now considered "classic rock" according to more than one local radio station. I'm getting old.).

I've become somewhat depressed by the influx of new cards (as bizarre as that sounds). There are just too many playable ones now to where building a definitive list is pretty futile. I get why guys are making more than one cube now. And recent discussions too have made me question if I'm focused on the right things in my own list that has gotten so far from what it was intended to be. I hardly recognize it now.

Anyway, I'll try and get to the point.

If one were to look historically at Magic, what logical breaking points would you find with Wizard's card design? Here is my rough thinking on it.

Early days (old bordered) - weak creatures overall with strong spell effects. Dominated by a handful of mistake cards? As I didn't start playing until around Mirrodin, that is a genuine question. Seems to me that a lot of cards we consider super broken today were printed back in these days but if you look at the card pool back then, these cards had some pretty weak targets. What was anyone tinkering for before Mirrodin? Tiskelion I guess? Memory Jar? Thran Dynamo? I mean, good cards sure. But is that really a broken play since you 2 for 1'd yourself? I'd call that value tinker today and it isn't worth it in high powered cubes IMO. What about Natural Order? Or Sneak Attack? Or reanmiator (even super fast reanimator)? Top end creatures were pretty awful outside a few exceptions (Akroma?). Penumbra Wurm leaves a 6/6 behind I guess. Arcanis the Omnipotent? Sneak Attack to... draw three. Yay?

Mirrodin - Time Spiral - creatures got better here. I think Wizard's got wise to the fact that paying 6+ for something that dies to a slew of 1-3 mana removal spells and nets zero value is simply unplayable jank outside casual magic or some kind of silly combo deck. Mirrodin gave us just a pile of ridiculous artifacts that took tinker from value town to WTF? Equipment to "fix" the friendly aura mechanic overshot so hard you have to wonder who feel asleep at the wheel during testing with clamp, swords and then jitte shortly after (shit, even splitter and wargear are both pretty insane). I'm biased because I was playing tons of Magic during this time, but Ravnica block felt like such a good place mechanically. Maybe creature heavy compared to earlier eras? This is where I think the game went away from spell based decks and became more creature based. I don't know if this was all net positive (or even a correct interpretation), so curious what true old-timers think. Game felt extremely deep to me at the time, especially from a deck building perspective.

Llowyn to pre-M10 - fn' Walkers. Creatures getting better and better. Really pushing the envelope on that with all the ETB stuff starting to pop up. In small doses, ETB feels like a solid mechanic. I've built so many cube decks around this I've lost count. Blinking your evoked Mulldrifter (etc.) feels great, but when does this just lead to midrange value town and the inevitable creature arms race?

M10 forward - Mythics (I guess technically came right before M10), rule changes, new wording for everything (battlefield, exile - why change all this??). Creature arms race I just mentioned, highlighted by titans. I'll just stop here as I think everyone knows my feelings on most of this stuff and this post is already too long.

So if you were going to do a retro cube and cut off at some point in history. Where would you do it and why? And if you were going to make a handful of exceptions and allow newer cards in this theoretical cube to bolster a color or archetype, which cards would they be and why (or would you not do it)?

I started playing competitively at destiny/6e. Creatures were not one hit KOs. In general, card impact of permanents was low. Try cubing cursed scroll now; that card was overpowered in 99. Masticore was grbs.

I would probably stop around Odyssey and use old extended as my legality basis. The format/era defined Magic for me. I am sure the card pool would be great without combo decks; slower games with ingesting cards! I'd look to newer sets for mana fixing and lower power artifacts that could fit into many decks (like Phyrexian Revoker).

Also, keep in mind damage stacked.

Early days (old bordered) - weak creatures overall with strong spell effects. Dominated by a handful of mistake cards? As I didn't start playing until around Mirrodin, that is a genuine question. Seems to me that a lot of cards we consider super broken today were printed back in these days but if you look at the card pool back then, these cards had some pretty weak targets. What was anyone tinkering for before Mirrodin? Tiskelion I guess? Memory Jar? Thran Dynamo? I mean, good cards sure. But is that really a broken play since you 2 for 1'd yourself? I'd call that value tinker today and it isn't worth it in high powered cubes IMO. What about Natural Order? Or Sneak Attack? Or reanmiator (even super fast reanimator)? Top end creatures were pretty awful outside a few exceptions (Akroma?). Penumbra Wurm leaves a 6/6 behind I guess. Arcanis the Omnipotent? Sneak Attack to... draw three. Yay?
I think the answer to this question depends a lot on which format. Here is my timeline of knowledge.

Fallen Empires (1994) - Alliances (1996): The beginning. I played casual magic. I was in middle school. I remember going to one tournament and getting crushed by burn decks, strip mines, factories, Mahamoti Djinns, and I'll never forget the maniacal laugh of the kid who played more than twice as many different counterspells than I knew even existed.

A New Hope (1996) - Jabba's Palace (1998): Oh no! I switched to the Star Wars CCG! I had a fuckin sweet ass Hoth deck, with a Planet Defender Ion Cannon and everything. Man that game was great.

Mercadian Masques (1999) - Invasion (2000): Freshman/Sophomore years in high school. A new friend dragged me back into casual magic, this time with a more competitive edge. I spent $100 on a giant collection of common and uncommon playsets on eBay. Yes it had Force of Wills. But also Serra Angels!! We were still kinda bad but at least our decks made sense and had multiple copies of cards. I eventually built a nasty mono-black deck and an Oath deck, and we went to Type 1 tournaments.

Invasion (2000) - Darksteel (2004): Late high school early college. Good God. I learn about drafting. I start going to drafts all the time. Friends weren't necessary anymore. Only drafting. This leads to a collection that gets me playing Type 2. I start going to major events.

* * * ARCBOUND RAVAGER RUINS EVERYTHING * * *

...Champions of Kamigawa (2004) - Shadowmoor (2008): I have destroyed the lives of college friends by introducing them to magic, and together we dive headlong into competitive Type 1. Virtually all of our time not spent drinking or studying is poured into TheManaDrain.com. We road trip to tournaments, including the Vintage World Championships at Gen Con, twice. They are some of the best magic experiences I've ever had.

Zendikar (2009) - Gatecrash (2013): Lots of drafting. Good times. Some PTQ's.

Dragon's Maze (2013) - Now: I build my first cube, and discover the pinnacle of Magic.

Sorry, I got wrapped up in recounting my magical experiences. What was I saying?

Ah yes, while I was bullseyeing womp rats in my T-16, I remember other people yelling about this a lot

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Old Bordered magic went through several phases as well. I started playing around revised, and quit for the first time when 5th edition came out, because they opted to not reprint sengir vampire, serra angel, lightning bolt etc. in a general depowering. I actually raged when strip mine was restricted.

There were still a lot of creature decks, but not really tempo (serendib efreet being the delver of the era), and people just played powerful disruption (Armageddon, hymn, strip mine etc). Those old school necro decks man....

Kird ape was insane, and lotus/dark ritual into juzam djinn was a power play.

I have really fond memories of the type 1 "vintage" of the day, and the reign of the "the deck," the first true control deck. The idea of a deck capable of winning with only two creatures just blew my mind, and the theory behind card advantage took the game to deep places for me.

When chaos orb was legal, people used to rip that card up, and try to flip/sprinkle it over the board like confetti :D

This is a little past that point, but still classic old school magic, right down to the lack of sleeves lol

If one were to look historically at Magic, what logical breaking points would you find with Wizard's card design? Here is my rough thinking on it.

Jesse Mason does this eloquently in his Time Spiral block review:
I’ve thought a lot about what the eras of Magic are. I’d break them down something like this:

Early Magic: Alpha through Ice Age block. These designs were scattered and unfocused, due to how many different people and teams made the sets. Bringing it all back home to Wizards with Alliances created the standard for what sets would be.

Early blocks: Mirage block through Masques block. The power levels veered back and forth from set to set, and while they had ideas of what blocks were supposed to be like, they didn’t really have strong designs underpinning them.

Strong theme: Invasion block through Mirrodin block. These blocks are defined by choosing that they’re about something, and god damn, they are about that thing down to the very last card. Notably, they have to be about mechanical things. They can be overwhelming in how far they push their favored mechanic, leading to lots of block vs block-type battling in Standard decks.

Renaissance: Kamigawa block through Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. These blocks are where designers start looking carefully at sets of the past, theming their sets not on one big mechanical theme, but on vaguer, more high-concept ideas, from Kamigawa’s Japanese theme to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor’s night and day. This is Magic’s artistic height, where creativity is unreservedly expressed through cards.

Conservative era: Alara block through present. Instead of reevaluating earlier ideas and transforming them into something new and unique, like Ravnica did with the multicolored theme, the conservative era is about taking something done already and driving it into the ground. Ravnica had a two-color theme? Well, how about a three-color theme, despite it not making nearly as much sense. Then a sequel to Ravnica, then a sequel to the three-color theme one. This isn’t to say that this era hasn’t had its artistic highlights, but it’s unapologetically about taking fewer risks than the sets from the Renaissance, as foreshadowed by the 2007 State of Design article.

It's written from before KTK/SOI, which I think herald another era in set design, one marked by intricate attention to Limited design and the meta-narrative / """story""".

I seriously thought about making a cube consisting of:

Seventh Edition + Classic Sixth Edition
Masquerade Cycle
Invasion Cycle
Odyssey Cycle

They have several things in common:
- same border
- symbols on basic lands instead of 't: add x to your mana pool' and 'add one colorless mana to your mana pool' instead of '1'
- 'Haste' instead of 'unaffected by summoning sickness'
EDIT: going through 6th and 7th I found a difference in their respective versions of Meekstone ('each creature with' vs 'creatures with'). I couldn't make out the wording of the 6th in Masques, so I'll go with 7th as my only Coreset.

Onslaught got the number instead of the wordy version, Fifth Edition and Artifacts Cycle got a slightly different border, just like Rath and Mirage Cycle, which in addition have 'summon' instead of 'creature' and sometimes 'Interrupt' or 'Mana Source' instead of 'Instant' (same goes for Artifacts Cycle). Everything before that got badly centered text and, if I'm not completely mistaken, a slightly different border, at least when it comes to printing technique.

I would do it completely for the retro flavour while having a not-so-costly, lower powered cube available where every card got that beautiful border and everything is in line. Hell, I'll just start to create one right now, reading over this thread just gave me a blast.

EDIT2: Masques Cycle got a different wording on artifacts concerning adding colored mana. Cutting that block would lead to Odyssey-Invasion-7th-'Standard' which is not where I want to be. I guess I'll go with the following:

6th + 7th
Onslaught Cycle
Invasion Cycle
Odyssey Cycle
Masques Cycle

I really hate 'Interrupt' or 'Mana Source' instead of 'Instant', as I do 'not affected by summoning sickness', so I'm not going with earlier sets than these.

Thanks for all the responses. I had friends that played from the days of alpha but I resisted getting into Magic for a really long time. Maybe because I knew I'd pour so much money into it.

EDIT2: Masques Cycle got a different wording on artifacts concerning adding colored mana. Cutting that block would lead to Odyssey-Invasion-7th-'Standard' which is not where I want to be. I guess I'll go with the following:

6th + 7th
Onslaught Cycle
Invasion Cycle
Odyssey Cycle
Masques Cycle

I really hate 'Interrupt' or 'Mana Source' instead of 'Instant', as I do 'not affected by summoning sickness', so I'm not going with earlier sets than these.

The wording and border changes bother me as well. Being a fairly nostalgic person, the older something is the more inclined I am to look past imperfections. So I'm less bothered by things like "interrupt". Feels like a really nice pair of worn in shoes. My biggest annoyance with really old sets is how faded and shitty some of the cards look. That said, I think the blocks you listed had the cleanest look to them. I'm not a fan of white bordered cards though.

I dislike the newest border on cards where the bottom of the frame is replaced by black and there's that stupid ass hologram. I also genuinely dislike any reference to "battlefield" or "exile". "Dies" is borderline, but at least it's really intuitive. In fact, this whole move to keyword every damn thing is a bit irritating. The game is confusing enough already for new players, and now they need a cheat sheet with 100+ keywords and what they mean? So I guess I'd start pre all that bullshit and see where I ended up. I already did some digging on this and it's amazing how many cards I have in my cube that would be removed on the basis of using "battlefield/exile" wording or the new card frame. It practically guts my entire creature section. It also singlehandedly would deal with the value midrange creature deck problem.

While I'd want to keep it all old bordered, there are simply too many holes in that card pool from what I can see. Namely, top end creatures but also white cards too. Other than a handful of bombs, that color just sucks (am I missing something there?).

I'm also really partial to the old brown artifact frame, which is weird since I didn't start playing until they went to the silver/gray version. Restricting artifacts to just brown cards would severely reduce the power and quantity of artifacts, which would be very interesting design-wise. I think it neuters one of blues strengths (a big positive IMO). It also removes equipment entirely from the card pool (foil swords not withstanding), which in turn completely changes a lot of creature based strategies.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
White's best effects were Armageddon (G/W), crusade, wrath of god, swords to plowshares, moat, disenchant, serra angel, and balance.

You kind of have to readjust your thinking to a world where there aren't a ton of good 1-2cc threats. Good "efficient" threats don't crop up until the 3-5cc mark (and 3cc just barely). This (paradoxically) means that bounce effects are a lot worse, since even though you have juicy high CC targets, you don't really have the board state to punish them for taking those lines. Bounce, a lot of times, just ends up being card disadvantage, rather than tempo advantage, so the focus is much more on cheap hard removal like swords or bolt.

That doesn't really change until man-o'-war gets printed, and everyone runs man-o'-war.

Also, disenchant during this time period is a legit maindeckable card, with at least 2 in a lot of mains: the power level of artifacts and enchantments is just (proportionally) far beyond what they are today (planeswalkers have now largely taken over that role) and part of why things are more spell based.

Blue will be the best color.

Red is so damn tough. As white is the aggro colour, red only delivers aggressive cards in a partial manner, ranging from burn spells to cards like Sulfuric Vortex and Pyrostatic Pillar. There are really few creatures, especially on the end of the curve, like Rorix Bladewing and Skizzik.
Land destruction might be a thing for red though, you wouldn't need to add busted cards like Armageddon for WW, as Boros aggro would go with red land destruction (in my theory, at least). Flametongue Kavu clearly is too strong, I don't know if the Wildfire archetype is, too. Devastating Dreams might be a replacement, and I do not play that much artifact mana.

Might push multicolour aggro (Naya/Jund/Mardu) as pain duals are the main fixing lands (doubling up on these). Control does not need too many of this kind, as it's hurting them a lot over time, especially against aforementioned aggro decks. It's definitely fun building such a cube - and time-consuming as I have to rethink everything, like Grillo pointed out.

Yeah. I threw a list together. Not being an expert on the cards from this time period, it's hard to effectively vet this. There are also a lot of things which I feel hold true in more modern lists due to creature power levels, which are very likely different in an older list like this. And I honestly don't know how that translates to deck building.

For those interested in contributing, I started a blog and posted my initial list along with a pile of design parameters. Not sure I will actually build this with real cards, but I'm visiting an old friend in September and it could be a lot of fun to show up with this cube list (he played back in this era).

Almost all the old-bordered red cards we run are burn. Maybe red just wants to have burn for all tastes, since the creatures are so bad.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Equipment to "fix" the friendly aura mechanic overshot so hard you have to wonder who feel asleep at the wheel during testing with clamp, swords and then jitte shortly after (shit, even splitter and wargear are both pretty insane).
I'm not really into gushing about old sets, but I do have a fun fact! Clamp and Jitte were tested, but not as printed! Clamp originally gave +1/+0, but that, eventually, was deemed way too good during playtesting. They made the card worse by changing it to +1/-1 but didn't have time to test the new design, and thus the world got to experience the "worse" version of Skullclamp. Umezawa's Jitte likewise was changed pretty much post-development. Up until that change they had been testing with a ritual mode (add {B}{B}) instead of the -1/-1 mode, and a good part of the testing was done with one counter per turn, which was apparently underwhelming.

You can read the Skullclamp story here (but not really).
You can read the Jitte story here.

Edit: The Skullclamp story turned out to be a glitch in our collective memory. See my next post :)

I knew there were last minute changes to both, but didn't know the exact stories. Thanks for posting those. Fun facts are... well... fun.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I knew there were last minute changes to both, but didn't know the exact stories. Thanks for posting those. Fun facts are... well... fun.
I did some more searching, because all I could find on the Skullclamp story was players' stories, not a single Wizards article on the last minute +1/+0 to +1/-1 change. Turns out the collective memory was failing here. This is what really happened. It used to be a really janky card for much of design/development, and with a month of testing to go, they changed the cost from {3} to {1}, the equip cost from {2} to {1}, and the p/t boost from +1/+2 to +1/-1. It went untested though for the final month, simply because they didn't realize that they had turned the card from near unplayable to broken. It was so bad the first time around, that it wasn't on anyone's radar after the final change. Article is interesting to read, so give it a go if you want a more fleshed out story complete with design file excerpts etc.