Sets [C18] Commander 2018

Commander wise this set is meh, but cube-wise it's been a gold mine so far. I'm already planning on trying out the following cards:

arixmethesslumberingisle.jpg
turntimbersower.jpg
aminatouthefateshifter.jpg
whiptonguehydra.jpg
saheelithegifted.jpg
brudicladtelchorengineer1.jpg

Also thinking about putting in Thespian's Stage into my ULD just for wonky shenanigans with Turtle Island.

Black now has miracle(s)

Should they have named the mechanic something else for flavor reasons (Misery maybe) or do you agree it was for the best to not have two different keywords do exactly the same?

85C73485-88F2-4078-A568-7C0A74877120.jpeg 85C73485-88F2-4078-A568-7C0A74877120.jpeg

The card will probably be spoiled in high quality artwork in the coming days.

Arixmethesis a sweet UG card. It's consistently one of the most boring gold sections for me to work with, now we have this sweet finisher that builds itself into themes UG likes
  • lands and ramp
  • tossing out bunches of spells
  • crashing in with huge finishers
Like finally a UG card that doesn't focus on card draw

Black now has miracle(s)

Should they have named the mechanic something else for flavor reasons (Misery maybe) or do you agree it was for the best to not have two different keywords do exactly the same?.

Why can't black have a miracle? There's nothing inherently evil about black, it's color identity just has a tendency to attract selfish people. See: Sorin.

From a mechanical standpoint, I don't think it makes sense to have two different mechanics that do the exact same thing. Confusion for flavor's sake is never worth it in my opinion.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm just super sad that the clunky commander text is on there :(

Walks like ninjutsu, talks like ninjutsu. Players are suprisingly good at ignoring fluff like that, see Daretti, Scrap Savant. This is a fully functional ninja, and I'm sure it's quite exciting for a lot of people for that fact alone, but it also means it plays exactly the same as other potential ninjas in your cube :)

The cool thing about ninjitsu was the hidden information. This is face up in the Command Zone. There is no surprises when you want to ‘cheat’ this guy onto the board.

Scratch off the Commander part and we have a cool card :p

Is anyone running any kind of ninjitsu-theme in their cube?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The cool thing about ninjitsu was the hidden information. This is face up in the Command Zone. There is no surprises when you want to ‘cheat’ this guy onto the board.

Scratch off the Commander part and we have a cool card :p

Is anyone running any kind of ninjitsu-theme in their cube?
Exactly. There's no commander zone in Cube. Well, not in my cube :)

Commander Ninjutsu gave me a small scare since a name like that would probably limit the ability in some silly way. Very excited for Arixethmes on an unrelated note.

1AEF1501-1D2D-42D4-9786-6E96DF02BD69.jpeg

So, how's this for a BW lifegain incentive card?

S0sjSLO.jpg

Terrible.

This card seems bad in a 1 on 1 format... Like, I don't think this is playable outside life gain decks. You can throw a narrow build-around Drake Haven or Marionette Master in pretty much any deck with only a little bit of support and not feel like your wasting a slot. This thing requires you to have tons of life gain or it actively hurts you.

I'll pass.