General CBS

Hey guys, I really dig the idea of chaos draft. So I bought some penny sleeves and started a one of each card box for the occasional crazy draft. Did one 2-man sealed and that was fun already. My question is:

Would you keep the usual rarity distribution of booster packs to keep the limited feeling?
Or would you just jam all the cards together, ignoring rarity?

Right now I do a middle way of having 10% rares, 25% uncommons and 65% commons. What would you say is the most fun way?

Oops, I misstyped, it is actually 10/30/60%
Would be a little low on uncommons at 25 I'd say
I could see 15/35/50, but that would be less easy to expand, since now I can just add packs of ten :p

I might make a little chaos peasant cube so that I don't have to sleeve it out of the remnants of all the boxes my friends and I have cracked over the years. Sounds fun to not know what deck you could build because the card pool is a disaster.

EDIT: Peasant or poverty. Just any trash cards, I guess.

Ascension: Chronicles of the Godslayer might be a good starting place? The cost of a card would be the cost to acquire it, the aim of the game can still be to get your opponent from 20 to 0, creatures are the monsters, other cards types go into your deck. Include spells that kill or deal damage to creatures, have creatures with "dies" effects, like Anodet Lurker, Hissing Iguanar (triggers are always controlled by the active player). Maybe there's something there?

To be fair, something like Dominion might work too.

I was playing DC deckbuilding. I like this setup. Iunno how it would translate.

Cube draft deck in middle. Lay out nine cards. Grid draft on upkeep instead of draw. Keep one card in hand and put two on bottom. Or some form of scrying between the three.

Each player starts with two of each basic land in deck. Draw seven. One land per turn. Maybe more random and including utility and duals.

Anyone have experience with the Speed format they briefly ran with on MtG Arena?

Here is what I am telling my players at next tournament:

Game 3 will be on Speed Mode. This means the following:
- No mulligan is allowed.
- Opening hand is 10 cards. (Up from 7)
- No maximum hand size. (Up from 7)
- Draw 2 cards each draw step. (Up from 1)
- Play up to 2 lands each turn. (Up from 1)

What do you guys think?

Yeah I guess. But will it be better than all the other things?

My real question is: Do you think this would affect how you draft and construct your deck if you know G3 will be on Speed Mode?

I'd probably draft as normal but maybe take more expensive cards a little bit earlier, and build as normal with a view to do some heavy sideboarding between games 2 and 3.

I am very unhappy with the available options for Gruul. I like Bloodbraid Elf, because Cascade is fun when you are not chaining it. I like Stormbind, even though it doesn't seem to fit many decks. But I don't like anything else. There are some ok midrange creatures, some cards that seem nice...but none really seem that great. The closes is Dragonlord Atrarka but I don't like big spells that not only give you a big body but also reduce your opponent's options.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I am very unhappy with the available options for Gruul. I like Bloodbraid Elf, because Cascade is fun when you are not chaining it. I like Stormbind, even though it doesn't seem to fit many decks. But I don't like anything else. There are some ok midrange creatures, some cards that seem nice...but none really seem that great. The closes is Dragonlord Atrarka but I don't like big spells that not only give you a big body but also reduce your opponent's options.
Do you enjoy the general play style of Gruul though? Not saying this is the case, but I've seen more cube designers call Gruul boring or mediocre, when in fact there are plenty of people who happen to love Gruul.

Some potential "fun" (depending on who you ask, I feel most these would be too much for my cube) cards:

I liked Gruul when playing in Arena, but I don't have too much experience with the colours (Playing a red splash in Tooth and Nail does not count!). That may be part of it. And it seems the me, it can work very well. There are good cards in the colours, you can ramp a bit, have a bit of removal and even play a bit with Sneak attack but I don't see a big angle for the colours.

Whenver I try to build a GR deck, I either end up with a Green deck with some big red cards or a Red aggro deck with some green support. But you could make the same deck if it were monocolour. Sometimes I get a neat midrange, but it's much rarer to get a coheshive bicolour build with it than with, say, Golgari or Orzhov. or even Simic.

Of your recommendations, I tried Huntsmaster but it's an awful lot of text and I'm trying to keep the cube simple on that level. Living Twister could replace Stormbind but the RR in the cost makes me think it's unsplashable. And Ruric seems like it works well, but it seems brutal. 6 damage just for killing it is a lot.

By the way, have you guys tried Fires of Yamivaya/Rhymtn of the Wild? I want to try the latter beacause it's a lot of fun in Arena but the "can't be countered" clause is a bummer.

I liked Gruul when playing in Arena, but I don't have too much experience with the colours (Playing a red splash in Tooth and Nail does not count!). That may be part of it. And it seems the me, it can work very well. There are good cards in the colours, you can ramp a bit, have a bit of removal and even play a bit with Sneak attack but I don't see a big angle for the colours.

Whenver I try to build a GR deck, I either end up with a Green deck with some big red cards or a Red aggro deck with some green support. But you could make the same deck if it were monocolour. Sometimes I get a neat midrange, but it's much rarer to get a coheshive bicolour build with it than with, say, Golgari or Orzhov. or even Simic.

Of your recommendations, I tried Huntsmaster but it's an awful lot of text and I'm trying to keep the cube simple on that level. Living Twister could replace Stormbind but the RR in the cost makes me think it's unsplashable. And Ruric seems like it works well, but it seems brutal. 6 damage just for killing it is a lot.

By the way, have you guys tried Fires of Yamivaya/Rhymtn of the Wild? I want to try the latter beacause it's a lot of fun in Arena but the "can't be countered" clause is a bummer.

I freaking love Rhythm of the Wild. Riot is an amazing mechanic since it gives players so many different options. I literally run Domri, Chaos Bringer to double up on the "Creatures have Riot" effect. It's a nice bridge between Aggressive Red Stuff and Stompy Green Stuff.

I also really like Regisaur Alpha, Xenagos, God of Revels, and Grand Warlord Radha. They're all a bit generic, but they all have fun interplay to them. Regisaur Alpha is particularly cool because you can splash it in a blink deck and have it do a ton of work.