General CBS

Kinda random question: what would you all say is the most "iconic" type for each color? My first instinct is something like...

White: Enchantment
Blue: Instant
Black: ???
Red: Sorcery
Green: Creature

Alternativel, you can put them under their respective color categories. For example, if you change the color category of Academy Tolaria to blue, it will show up in its own land section in the blue column.

Exactly and that’s not what I intended.

Can we agree that the cards should be sorted into different categories if we give them different colors?

Type: Land
Color: White

Should come before

Color: Blue

In my opinion.

Now I have to do

Color: Doesn’t matter
Mana Value: 0 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 to get five sections for {W}, {U}, {B}, {R}, {G}

Right?

Kinda random question: what would you all say is the most "iconic" type for each color? My first instinct is something like...

White: Creature
Black: Spot removal and discard
Green: Land

Black was a joke. I can’t think of a unique type that doesn’t step on another color’s most iconic. White could also be enchantment. Maybe black could be creature.

I've always thought of it as Red being Artifacts and Black being Sorcery, if anything. Ritual magic and all that. And Velrun is right that Green has to be Lands. Leave creatures out of it and things become easier.

Lands is a clumsy one, because I'm playing with the idea of a cube where only cards of a given color can be of a given color. So artifacts and lands being tied to a color would be... clumsy.

Lands is a clumsy one, because I'm playing with the idea of a cube where only cards of a given color can be of a given color. So artifacts and lands being tied to a color would be... clumsy.

In that case, make a 4-color cube

{W}: Enchantments
{U}: Instants
{R}: Sorceries
{G}: Planeswalkers

And let creatures be in all colors (let creatures break the rule). Or green could be creatures instead of planeswalkers.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Can we agree that the cards should be sorted into different categories if we give them different colors?

Should come before

In my opinion.

Now I have to do

Mana Value: 0 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 to get five sections for {W}, {U}, {B}, {R}, {G}

Right?
I inquired in the feature request thread on the CubeCobra Discord server.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You started out saying “I used to feel the same…” and then you continued with some interesting stuff. But you never said how you felt now. And why you felt a different way. I still like Ward 2, 3 and discard/sacrifice/minor card advantage. What changed for you?
Sheesh I log off for like a day :p

What changed was wotc's track record. They've actually been putting ward numbers that make sense on things.
Ward 4 is still fine IF it's on a 6 drop, right? It's if shit like ragavan gets ward 4 where we have a problem

Honestly, I expected them to fuck this up instantly, because ward is an easy way to juice a creature. But ward's been out for a while now, and honestly it's been done well.
I think the closest thing to a "design mistake" we've had with ward is like...Svyelun of Sea and Sky and A) that's a stretch and B) the issue I do have with that card isn't ward, it's longstanding problem child indestructible.

It's being put on the right kinds of threats, it's being done in good amounts, call me optimistic.

Sheesh I log off for like a day :p

What changed was wotc's track record. They've actually been putting ward numbers that make sense on things.
Ward 4 is still fine IF it's on a 6 drop, right? It's if shit like ragavan gets ward 4 where we have a problem

Honestly, I expected them to fuck this up instantly, because ward is an easy way to juice a creature. But ward's been out for a while now, and honestly it's been done well.
I think the closest thing to a "design mistake" we've had with ward is like...Svyelun of Sea and Sky and A) that's a stretch and B) the issue I do have with that card isn't ward, it's longstanding problem child indestructible.

It's being put on the right kinds of threats, it's being done in good amounts, call me optimistic.

Welcome back, we’ve missed you :p

Yeah I think they have been doing really well with ward up until now!

On a 6 drop, sure ward 4 is cool.

On a legendary 8 drop, I think it should be hexproof straight up.

White: Enchantment, artifact, creature, planeswalker (lmao)
Blue: Instant, artifact, sorcery
Black: Sorcery, creature, enchantment
Red: Sorcery, artifact
Green: Creature, land, enchantment

The onslaught cycle has enchantment | instant | creature | sorcery | land. If lands are out of the question I might go for artifact | instant | enchantment | sorcery | creature I think, but enchantment | instant | sorcery | artifact | creature is also an option, or creature | instant | sorcery | artifact | enchantment for a more radical one.

Black traditionally doesn't have a lot of sorcery interaction, it just feels like a sorcery color to me. It often plays at a slower speed with discard, tutor and reanimation spells that characterize a lot of its unique mechanics.

Should come before

In my opinion.

Now I have to do

Right?
I agree, especially since it sorts every other land color identity combination already. It even has "non-[single color]" as a sort, but not "[single color]"

White: Planewalkers
Blue: Instants
Black: Creatures
Red: Sorceries
Green: Enchantments

As far as I see it, this is the only way to leave lands and artifacts out.

Tbh, though, to have all cards of a color be of that type sounds like a horrible idea @LadyMapi

Tbh, though, to have all cards of a color be of that type sounds like a horrible idea @LadyMapi

My brain wanted either that one, a cube where your draw for the turn was replaced by a Brainstorm, or one where everyone starts with a Yet Another Aether Vortex effect. The second one doesn't feel like it justifies itself, and the YAEV cube kinda hurts my brain whenever I think about it.

EDIT: Did you know that YAEV makes it so that every permanent you draw triggers appropriate enters/leaves triggers? And that milling a creature on top of your library makes it die without sacrificing or destroying it? So, for example, Stitcher's Supplier makes you mill 6 as soon as it hits the top of your library, Sage of Epityr is a weird combo piece, and you're probably never going to actually draw Elvish Rejuvenator.

Having to build around the idea that any permanent on your deck could be on the battlefield on turn 1 is... daunting, honestly.

Last edited:
That's about as far as I got with that idea, too. Finding cards that somehow balance around the effect felt impossible.

If you are on CubeCobra on mobile

Is there any way to view the back side of a card in your cube from the visual spoiler?

hmm... I don't see a way directly in CubeCobra, but you can tap the picture to bring up the details window, and then the "Scryfall" button at the bottom takes you to Scryfall where you can flip the card. Seems like they should implement that same "transform" button in the details window of CC.

Winning is generally better than losing... but both are less important than playing a good game.

I'd rather lose a game with a bunch of back-and-forth than win a game because my opponent flooded.