General CBS

You can't just drop that and then walk away without telling us what EDH Monstrosity that is. Also, how many times do you really have to recur Fight with Fire??
not an edh! this is a real peasant cube control archetype. here's a sample decklist from an Arena peasant cube draft
Deck
1 Attune with Aether (KLR) 154
1 Dryad's Revival (MID) 183
1 Shadowbeast Sighting (MID) 198
1 Svella, Ice Shaper (KHM) 230
1 Thermo-Alchemist (MID) 164
1 Fight with Fire (DAR) 119
1 Fast // Furious (MH2) 123
1 Harnessed Lightning (KLR) 127
1 Abrade (VOW) 139
1 Aven Eternal (WAR) 42
1 Covetous Castaway (MID) 45
1 Bury in Books (STX) 39
1 Saw It Coming (KHM) 76
1 Counterspell (STA) 15
1 Scour All Possibilities (MH1) 67
1 Essence Scatter (IKO) 49
1 Quench (RNA) 48
1 Returned Pastcaller (STX) 224
1 Skywhaler's Shot (KLR) 31
1 Banishing Light (THB) 4
1 Faithful Mending (MID) 221
1 Sacred Fire (MID) 239
1 Wanderer's Strike (WAR) 38
1 Relic Amulet (ZNR) 247
2 Evolving Wilds (AFR) 256
3 Swiftwater Cliffs (IKO) 255
1 Rugged Highlands (IKO) 252
1 Thornwood Falls (M20) 258
1 Wind-Scarred Crag (M21) 259
1 Tranquil Cove (M21) 258
2 Plains (M21) 260
2 Island (M21) 263
2 Mountain (M21) 271
1 Forest (M21) 273

Sideboard
1 Bloodfell Caves (IKO) 243
1 Welding Sparks (KLR) 150
1 Embereth Shieldbreaker (ELD) 122
1 Blood Fountain (VOW) 95
1 Eccentric Farmer (MID) 185
1 Fissure Wizard (ZNR) 140
1 Battle Cry Goblin (AFR) 132
1 Grim Bounty (AFR) 106
1 Kardur, Doomscourge (KHM) 216
1 Reckless Impulse (VOW) 174
1 Voltaic Brawler (KLR) 213

she is very cool. but yeah the basic plan is just to kill stuff / put out a wall early on, sweep the board once to get time for big mana, then start blowing everything up with FWF and recur it until you cast it the third or fourth time for lethal to face.
it is the most fun peasant deck ive ever played

Ooh, I reread my post and I see how it was easily misleading, but thanks for the input. Exploring my Simic identity has nothing to do with that card or self-mill, it was just what I was doing before seeing Psychic Spiral.

My {G}{U} cards at the moment are Mystic Snake, Colossal Skyturtle and Trygon Predator. The last can go away in favor of something more flavorful. Green has Boon Satyr, Briarhorn, Sprouting Swarm (I know, I know, it can take over games, I am looking it closely in case it is too much), Harrow, Dictate of Karametra (not sure if it is worth a slot) and could add Nightpack Ambusher. Blue has its usual instants.

What my Simic section wants to do, it seems, is Draw-Go-Flash.

I personally prefer casting this guy:

For which Ice-Fang Coatl seems a perfect fit. I was already considering the card, but it says "snow"! No card in my cube says that. How do I run it without adquiring a bunch of basic snow-lands or telling players to play as if all basics are snow basics, all just for this card? It is also a very weird way of saying "I care for basic lands" for new players. I could errata the card to care for basic lands instead of snow permanents, I guess, although I have not done erratas except for squadroning Myr Servitor (it says "pick this get 4"), which is not a gameplay errata.

Or this little combo:

I was thinking on adding Familiar's Ruse for the blink stuff and didn't know of that interaction, so more points to the card!

It is. It's just not a fun card in my experience.

That being said, Simic Selfmill is a very fun archetype. Just use wincons that don't feel like "I couldn't win against this anyway ..."

Some payoffs I like in my cube:

You can also play stuff like Delve if you don't mind eating on your 'yard. That being said, I think blue is better in enablibg with loot and mill effects, green adds the beefy payoffs.

Special shoutout to this ugly guy:

Sorry for the confusing post, but hey, that ugly guy does look like it wants a home somewhere.

I don't run double faced cards. They seem overly complicated. How do you let people easily know what the other side does?

I don't run double faced cards. They seem overly complicated. How do you let people easily know what the other side does?
i dont run them on paper right now either but my opinion on this is to have the back side in the tokens box and get the back sides out to have in the middle of table for reference while drafting. blah blah "looking at the cards during the draft reveals that that card is in your pack to the other players" try less hard and drink more while drafting pls

There really isn't a non-Snow version of Ice-Fang, unfortunately — giving it the "cares about basics" errata is probably a good idea.

Does your cube have the best lad in it?

Sorry for the confusing post, but hey, that ugly guy does look like it wants a home somewhere.

All good. And he has a home in my cube where he can feel warm and comfortable and loved.

Regarding double-faced cards: I try keeping the numbers as low as possible and then do the same as smithy said: Keep that stack of second copies in the middle of the table. I use different sleeves for it, so people can even just replace their cards in game with those instead of pulling them out. It's been less problematic than you'd think.

i dont run them on paper right now either but my opinion on this is to have the back side in the tokens box and get the back sides out to have in the middle of table for reference while drafting. blah blah "looking at the cards during the draft reveals that that card is in your pack to the other players" try less hard and drink more while drafting pls
Loving this attitude!
There really isn't a non-Snow version of Ice-Fang, unfortunately — giving it the "cares about basics" errata is probably a good idea.

Does your cube have the best lad in it?

I thought about it but wasn't sure how it would play. Cool to see you recommend it! The more I think about it the more flexible it looks.

I thought about it but wasn't sure how it would play. Cool to see you recommend it! The more I think about it the more flexible it looks.

The Mighty Flying Lad is a really sweet card. While it's definitely not a creature that will win you the game by itself (it dies to most removal thanks to that low toughness), but it's a threat that can leave you in a very good position if you get as few as two hits in with it.

And that's actually not as unlikely as it might appear! Playing it on villain's end step practically ensures that you'll get a hit in, and the deck it naturally fits in gives you plenty of ways to protect it.

It's sadly overshadowed by What Were They Smoking When They Made Eldraine?, but it's still a surprisingly elegant design that I've had quite a bit of fun with.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Can I interest you in the og 3/1 flash flyer for three?

This card wonderfully scales with the environment. It's never overbearing, as a creature with only 1 toughness, it's always just really, really solid. Plus, nabbing an opponent's silver bullet, bomb, or combo piece is a wonderful feeling, as is cycling away a low impact card from your own hand!

road-to.gif

Vendillion Clique is in my cube since almost its inception[/c] as a nod to Modern players. I really like the play patters it gives, as you might assume you ar expected to always take something from the opponent but it is more nuanced as you get experience with it, even giving you card draw/quality on the spot. And I wasn't really interested in Brazen Borrower but I like it more after testing it, so... not both but "threeth"?

Also, the Simic card my cube wants is... I... I think it is...

Over Bounding Krasis or Kiora's Follower. I'm surprised by this.

how wide your power band is, is up to you, just be aware:
given the choice mid-draft between a mono-colored 3/1 flash flyer for 3 and a two-colored 3/2 flash flyer for 4, a drafter who wants to win their games is basically always gonna take the 25% mana discount that doesnt ask them to splash.

how wide your power band is, is up to you, just be aware:
given the choice mid-draft between a mono-colored 3/1 flash flyer for 3 and a two-colored 3/2 flash flyer for 4, a drafter who wants to win their games is basically always gonna take the 25% mana discount that doesnt ask them to splash.
I expect this to happen for these two cards (and many others when compared to Horizon Chimera). It's not a powerful card, I know, but it will be there for people already in the color pair, as a narrow pick, to hint at what the color pair can do and to reward when its deck comes out (which is not the same as being a build-around). I don't pretend for all gold cards to be splashable.

Why don't you just add a mono colored card?

I think most cubes would be improved by reducing the number of gold cards in them. Better drafting, less mana constraints on the decks. And most gold effects can be replaced by mono colored equivalents easily too.

Crazy cube idea: gold cards are super cool so all pips on gold cards are hybrid pips instead
{B}{G} --> {B/G}{B/G}
Well, this can make cards really strong… I do love the idea though, but I also love gold cards. The problem of gold cards is correctly pointed out by Ravnic.
That said, back to the example above. Why not use mystic snake with flying tacked on?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Crazy cube idea: gold cards are super cool so all pips on gold cards are hybrid pips instead
{B}{G} --> {B/G}{B/G}
My main "problem" with this is that, for example, Lightning Helix shouldn't be possible at either RR or WW. Hybrid cards aren't gold cards anyway, in the sense that gold cards are harder to cast than monocolored cards, while hybrids are, in a way, easier to cast.

I'm humbled that my unhinged "shitpost" idea was given some consideration!

I suppose to the extent it has some merit, I think I was playing off of Ranvic's suggestion to use monocolored variants in place of gold cards with similar effects, if there's some intended end towards alleviating mana constraints and altering draft dynamics of gold cards. Curating your gold section with the rule in mind is probably necessary, since there are plenty of Lightning Helix's that would break color identities and balance. Feel free to file this one under 'cubes that will never get made', as that is all the idea is to me.

landofMordor

Administrator
Why don't you just add a mono colored card?

I think most cubes would be improved by reducing the number of gold cards in them. Better drafting, less mana constraints on the decks. And most gold effects can be replaced by mono colored equivalents easily too.
I respectfully disagree. One can also achieve “better drafting, less mana constraints” by simply increasing fixing quality and quantity until gold cards can be cast more easily by more drafters. If one pushes proactive/aggressive cards in gold sections at the same time (Putrid Leech), there’s not as much danger of “5-color goodstuff”.

I don’t think this is right for every cube, but by the same token, we can’t assume that low gold density and Retail-esque fixing is right for everybody, either.