Article ChannelFireball: Archetype Design

Chris Taylor

Contributor
huh, he's a zombie

He's also mostly only good as a discard outlet. the 1 power --> threshold: Not Crap (TM) hasn't really been a winning creature formula

I like that he works in the Zombie Planet.dec, but also a cool piece if you wanna try reanimator, and also carries pants better cuz evasion. Just my 2cents

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I like that he works in the Zombie Planet.dec, but also a cool piece if you wanna try reanimator, and also carries pants better cuz evasion. Just my 2cents
Oh totally, I'm just saying that reanimator thing ends up basically being in bold :p

Oh totally, I'm just saying that reanimator thing ends up basically being in bold :p

I read you 100% :) . I guess to make a little use-what-we-learned, I was thinking of this card a while back because of it being good in what this article wants. Specifically:
#4: helps telegraph that reanimator is indeed a thing if seen P1.
#5: Enables multiple lines of usage (maybe some not as good as others)
#7: Overlaps. specifically Zombie Planet + Reanimator (value?).

Things I'm watching out for are:
#3: it's a little dated.

cube's probably gunna need more than one discard outlet to make people feel secure with reanimator. Putrid Imp is a zombie, and so helps with more themes, maybe not quite as well for either. And that's ok.
Oona's prowler is a perfectly good card to run, but isn't in a concurrent slot with the theme under examination (what zombies to run??)

cube's probably gunna need more than one discard outlet to make people feel secure with reanimator. Putrid Imp is a zombie, and so helps with more themes, maybe not quite as well for either. And that's ok.
Oona's prowler is a perfectly good card to run, but isn't in a concurrent slot with the theme under examination (what zombies to run??)

There's also Lotleth Troll for a Zombie discard outlet.

An excellent option. Forgot about that little guy. Have you had a chance to try him out before? My only inhibition would be from the multicolor cost.

he's real good. Sometimes he's for Zoo, sometimes Zombies, sometimes Reanimator. Way flexible, hard to kill but not just something that gets chump blocked forever.

Aoret

Developer
huh, he's a zombie

He's also mostly only good as a discard outlet. the 1 power --> threshold: Not Crap (TM) hasn't really been a winning creature formula

Agree completely here. The card is really good in the archetype that wants him and pretty shitty outside of that. Feels poisonous to me. It's the kind of card that you want in a wtf123 powercube but not something I'm interested in for my own.

Yeah, not a fan of Putrid Imp either. It's the kind of card that will be a perennial last pick unless someone is building the reanimator deck. You want cards that can function well outside of one specific archetype or have enough support to make it a non-embarassing mid-pick. It's cool that it's a zombie and all, but there's like minimal synergy between it and Gravecrawler; the biggest payoff for zombies in cube. I cube Oona's Prowler and I've been happy with it, a 3/1 flier that can get in for one or two hits early in the game is perfectly fine and playable on its own without any reanimator shenanigans. I also like the tension of maybe your opponent pulls off some sweet play using YOUR prowler as a discard outlet. It's just more interactive and I think it's just a better card 90% of the time in the majority of our cubes.

well alrighty then. I guess the answer is no love indeed. I am interested with the possibilities from Lotleth Troll. Good stuff right there. Basically seems like the card I was trying to have putrid imp be from the start.... but good.

To be true to my post some while back:
#3: looks like it's very dated, and not individually powerful enough. Also potentially,
#6: maybe it's not nearly what it would need to be to help it's zombie friends (false synergy).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Putrid Imp fails my "would I actually include it in the final 40 of a Gravecrawler deck" test, which would indeed seem to suggest a false synergy.

Putrid Imp was something I tried to fit in my most recent update but couldn't. I think it's playable if you're pushing hard for flashback stuff, reanimator, and zombie-tribal synergies and need more discard outlets for shenanigans, but it's definitely the sort of thing that wheels to a player who wants it. I think it's kinda neat and I really like that classic art, but it's definitely something that is very last-pickable, which deserves some consideration if you find it isn't doing enough cool shit (which it probably won't unfortunately but we can all dream).

Black doesn't really have good self discard outlets, though if you want something, you might want to try cabal therapy. You're better off seeding self discard in blue, red and green, unless for some reason you want mono black reanimator?

When you play with newer/very new peeps, it can be easier to guide them into ideas when it's based in the same color. I really like the idea of cabal therapy.

I also like the idea of linking with flashback, which is probably my favorite mechanic. Any coolio flashback spells we play nowadays?
? ? ?

I'm currently running:

I love Flashback, it and Cycling are my favorite mechanics to play with. I like how all of these have played and the jury is still out on Nightbird b/c I haven't seen it in action yet. I have fond memories of wrecking people with R/B Vampires in INN draft though so I figured it's worth a shot. Hopefully we get a handful of other sweet flashback spells come Spring.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Firebolt
Faithless Looting
Reckless Charge
Feeling of Dread
Momentary Blink
Travel Preparations
Blast from the Past
Call of the Herd
Lingering Souls
Rally the Peasants
Battle Screech (really really good)
Dread Return
Increasing Savagery (this cycle is sick with Jace VP btw)
Unburial Rites

possibly:
Silent Departure
Devil's Play
Chainer's Edict
Burning Oil
Moment's Peace
Sylvan Might
Forbidden Alchemy
Deep Analysis
Mystical Teachings (if I power down my Cube it's so cards like this can be good again)
Seize the Day