Article ChannelFireball: Declassified Information

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Maybe changing chronarch for archaeomancer would be good. I'll have to think about it. Nucklavee has been great. These guys really make this deck work, that's why they survive cut after cut. They are pretty clunky though, and I always think about taking them out.
Gelectrode is great. It adds two points of burn to your spells, which is huge if you're trying to kill creatures.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think I'm little behind on this discussion, but a UR deck in my cube is awesome. It's all about burn, counters, and card draw. Here's my red-blue section:

Electrolyse
Mercurial Chemister
Izzet Charm
Nucklavee
Izzet Chronarch
Nivix Cyclops
Gelectrode

(Maybe this is too many, I might be due to cut some gold cards.) Often this deck ends up in grixis, so you can cast Cruel Ultimatum and have access to some hard removal. The most unconventional card I'm running is Charmbreaker Devils. It's super cool in this deck, when you start doing stuff like this it becomes really fun. There's some more support in blue with Snapcaster Mage, Auger of Bolas, Delver of Secrets, and even Swans of Bryn Argoll. I keep putting Dralnu in and out, I need to try him more.
Never too late :p

Like: Electrolyze, Charm, Gelectrode, Nucklavee
Dislike: Chemester, Chronarch, Cyclops

I've tried Spellbound Dragon, and he just died a lot. Maybe that upside is worth that, and 3/5 is a sweet p/t. hmmm...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I didn't mention it in the article, but in terms of "demand percentages", hybrids perform exactly like fetchlands, and gold cards perform exactly like dual lands.

Rob Dennis

Developer
so the one thing I've taken away from this article when I first read it, is that the most helpful view of a cube on a computer is (for example):
"what can I use in this pack with only White mana" ?
<see all the white cards, including hybrids>
"what can I use in this pack with only Green mana" ?
<see all the green cards, including hybrids>
"what can I use in this pack with only White/Green mana" ?
<see all the white and green cards, including hybrids and G/W gold cards>

that's something that's a pain in the ass for a spreadsheet to do, but a purpose-built tool certainly could do. I'm taking it heart with http://rdennis463.github.io/lambic/

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
so the one thing I've taken away from this article when I first read it, is that the most helpful view of a cube on a computer is (for example):
"what can I use in this pack with only White mana" ?
<see all the white cards, including hybrids>
"what can I use in this pack with only Green mana" ?
<see all the green cards, including hybrids>
"what can I use in this pack with only White/Green mana" ?
<see all the white and green cards, including hybrids and G/W gold cards>

that's something that's a pain in the ass for a spreadsheet to do, but a purpose-built tool certainly could do. I'm taking it heart with http://rdennis463.github.io/lambic/

Yes, I'd say that's a good takeaway from the article.